Connecting Android device to Windows PC

bkkmick

Hi

I recently bought an Aconatic Android device to watch downloaded 'files' on my TV.

Everything works fine but I cannot see the device from any of my PC's. (want to download directly to the memory stick plugged into the USB port).

My PC's are all Windows 7. In the living room I have connected the internet to the Android via an Access Point. I have clicked the 'connect to PC' checkbox on the Android device.

Still, no PC's can see it.

Do I need a special Android app to make the memory stick visible to Windows?

Cheers

Mick

All of my Android devices came with a USB cord to hook them to my PC. All of the cords are different and not interchangeable. One of them looks like the cord from a printer to USB with that small end for the printer and regular sized USB for a computer. My smartphones have different ones but they are still USB. I plug them into the phone using the small end, and into a computer using the other end which is standard USB.

As soon as I plug them in, the computer shows a new device and I can see the files and move them to the computer or to a USB stick if one is plugged into another USB port.

Do you have such a cord with standard USB on one end?

• Like 1

The quickest way to transfer files (Android <> PC) is over a USB cable.

Does the Windows PC recognize (with a chime) when you plug in the USB cable?

There then should be a display screen on the Android Device giving you the option to 'Turn on USB Storage', allowing the PC r/w access to the device sdcard area.

The PC may need access to the Internet to download Driver Data, but an AutoPlay dialog (if not disabled) should pop up on the PC letting you know you have access.

You may have to plug unplug, plug the USB cable a couple of times before the PC recognizes a USB device is requesting recognition.

Sometimes turning on USB Debugging will force the connect. Sometimes turning it on and off will.

Did you see Windows install drivers when you plugged it in? If not, maybe search to see if the manufacturer has them on their website.

I use MyPhoneExplorer.

Wireless and free (donations appreciated). Beats everything else into a cocked hat. No wires, no drivers, no fuss. As well as transferring files it also synchronises calendars, SMS and call logs, and allows you to send/read SMS messages from the PC (and if you get SMS messages in Thai which you cant read, like I do, that last can be really hand for copy/pasting into Google translate).

I think you have an Android Set-top box device?

http://www.papayatop.com/aconatic-an-stb292-smart-android-box/

Connected to your WiFi network?

Can you see this device on your network? Is it getting a 192.168.1.nnn IP address from your router? Maybe it is not connecting owing to your WiFi security protocols?

The USB stick may, or may not be visible, if plugged in to the STB, but I admit I;m having a hard time following your situation.

Maybe some Youtube videos or the user manual can help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3feNq04GKE

I have a similar problem ... Can connect my Galaxy Note phone to my laptop via USB cable ... BUT cannot connect the same phone to my desktop PC and using the same cable..

Desktop running W7 Prof and Laptop running W7 Ultimate ... if you sort please let me know.

If you are connected to the PC by USB and do not see the Android device on your PC then very likely you do not have a driver installed. The driver should have been enclosed with the device purchase otherwise you have to hunt for the driver at the maker's website or just Google for it using the device info. Note that many Android devices eg. Samsung phones may have to be specified to be connected as block data devices for data transfer.

I have a similar problem ... Can connect my Galaxy Note phone to my laptop via USB cable ... BUT cannot connect the same phone to my desktop PC and using the same cable..

Desktop running W7 Prof and Laptop running W7 Ultimate ... if you sort please let me know.

Just use MyPhoneExplorer as I described.

Connecting an Android device to a PC is a perennial problem. I truely do not know why.

I have multiple androind devices (phones and tablets) and some just work, while others fight you every step of the way.

Download USBDeView. This is a program that will enumerste all USB devices ever connected to the host PC.

(no guarantee anything I suggest will work, but I have had successes)

Delete all android devices listed (USBDeView). This will give you a fresh start when you connect the miscreant device.

Download the Android SDK. Included in there is the ADB.exe program developers use to transfer data to an android device, AND USB Drivers.

You can also try downloading MTPPK and installing it. It also includes USB drivers. Some say WMP11 is needed. I am not convinced about that. But what the hey.

When you plug in your android device, try to allow it to find and install the drivers automatically. If it fails, go back and point it to the ADB drivers. By the way, ADB does not require installation, it is a DOS command line program.

It is also worth searching your device manufacturers site for USB drivers or other transfer software.

Final solution: try a different PC. Crazy as it sounds, that often works.

Good luck.

I think the OP is facing challenges getting his Android Set-Top Box onto his WiFi network, rather than trying to connect it, or some other Android device to a PC via a USB connection?

That's not to say that others didn't raise the latter issue, nor that the latter issue isn't a challenge in some instances.

I think the OP needs to first verify that the STB is indeed connected to his WiFi network. He should be able to determine this by:

- using the Android UI on the TV, Settings, WiFi, look for your WiFi network and then connect to it using any existing security protocols. There are always a lot of issues with these STB's and their less than functional remotes - there are some pretty cool 3rd party remotes which have a touch-pad or even an IR mouse. One could "open up" the router temporarily - remove any WiFi security protocols - to see if the STB can connect.

- checking the UI of the router to see if the STB is connected.

Once the STB is connected to the local WiFi network any functionality will be determined by the capabilities of the STB. I found it challenging to get a lot of detail on these Aconatic Android STBs so am not certain what one can do with this unit re: file transfer, local streaming, etc. You may have to copy files from the PC to the USB stick, with the USB stick inserted into the PC, then take that USB stick to the STB, where you can play the files on the TV through the STB.

@KittenKong - thanks for that tip, very useful! Used MyPhoneExplorer to move some enormous (home)videos, that MoboGenie can't seem to handle - at all.

However, I'll keep Mobogenie for general back-ups, as MyPhoneExplorer doesn't appear to have any back-up facilities.

Thanks thumbsup.gif

For me MyPhoneExplorer certainly syncs and backs up my phone contact list, calendars, calls logs and SMS logs, all from one click. But maybe you mean some other sort of backup?

I agree that the file transfer on MPE is fast and very robust. It's drag and drop as well.

For me MyPhoneExplorer certainly syncs and backs up my phone contact list, calendars, calls logs and SMS logs, all from one click. But maybe you mean some other sort of backup?

I agree that the file transfer on MPE is fast and very robust. It's drag and drop as well.

I don't have a "phone", just a tablet, so no need for your type of syncs and back-ups.

I was thinking more of one-click APP, photo and video back-ups to computer. MPE doesn't have this facility (I think).

Cheers

Really? Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out more, when I have some spare time (not just at the moment!).

Yes, I do use Dropbox to sync some files, but the internet is very dodgy up this way and I need a good alternative.

MoboRobo seemed to cause my pc to reboot several times, so I've discontinued using it. This also installed an app on my tablet without asking - something I never approve of.....

Cheers