Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

You just say that you are supporting yourself. Then if they want proof show some form of proof that you have funds coming into the country from abroad. The best proof would be a Thai bank book showing transfers in.

This is foolish. How can someone expect to have a Bank account in Thailand who is supposed to visit the country for the first time?

Any other proof of income, like savings bank ac. in home country, currency at hand (show money), FD proofs from native bank is a logical solution.

The financial proof is only needed to get the documents required to get and extension of stay not for getting the ED visa from an embassy or consulate.

By they time the first extension is done a person could have a bank account opened.

The school will know what is needed to get the paperwork done.

• Like 1

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You just say that you are supporting yourself. Then if they want proof show some form of proof that you have funds coming into the country from abroad. The best proof would be a Thai bank book showing transfers in.

What if I pay one year's rent in advance and show the receipts? And also show some cash or a receipt of currency exchange of 100 thousand baht or something like that? Will that work?

I am really worried. I want to stay in Thailand and also learn the language so that I can get a job here in the future. I wanted to actually go to school and actually attend the courses. Does this mean that because of criminals who abuse the system I will now have trouble studying? If I have to stay here for 2 years before I can study and I cannot do it on tourist visas then how is it even possible? Or that I will have to move somewhere else? I don't understand.

This sounds crazy. Now I am getting confused and kindly someone please help me clear out my confusion.

I wish to apply for an ED Visa for 3-6 months to Learn Thai Language. I have good intentions to study and learn the language so that i can communicate with the Thais while in Thailand. And for the purpose, I have no foolish intention to work since I can well support myself for more than a year or beyond that period. I have been visiting multiple countries right now, having visited Hong Kong 4-5 in last few years, China, and visited Thailand twice since then on visa-on-arrival. I never had an extension anywhere.

What am I supposed to do now? If I apply for a language course and pay up front the fees, and then if my visa gets rejected for some silly reasons, how am I supposed to deal with it?

This is foolish. How can someone expect to have a Bank account in Thailand who is supposed to visit the country for the first time?

Any other proof of income, like savings bank ac. in home country, currency at hand (show money), FD proofs from native bank is a logical solution.

|The financial proof is only needed to get the documents required to get and extension of stay not for getting the ED visa from an embassy or consulate.

By they time the first extension is done a person could have a bank account opened.

The school will know what is needed to get the paperwork done.|

Thanks for the great info. So as far as I can understand, for the first time when I apply for my ED Visa, how can I convince them that I have a genuine interest in learning Thai, and that too, I would be able to support myself through self-financing? My course length is 3-6 months. What financial proof do I need to show them for my initial Visa? I never studied in Thailand, so please provide some further details.

If you only want to go to school for a few months you could try to get a 2 entry tourist visa that would give you abut 6 months of stay. You don't need a ED visa to attend school.

First thing:

Now this is getting a bit complicated. How am I supposed to "study" in Bangkok without a student/ ED visa? Wouldn't that be illegal?

Secondly:

Considering that my course is just for 3-6 months duration, and I am from the Indian subcontinent who are only eligible for visa-on-arrival not extending 14 days, could really help manage to secure a tourist visa for 6 months?

We don't get a 3-month tourist visa-- a maximum of 30 days tourist visa we might generally obtain if we apply from our country.

|The financial proof is only needed to get the documents required to get and extension of stay not for getting the ED visa from an embassy or consulate.

The school will know what is needed to get the paperwork done.|

Thanks for the great info. So as far as I can understand, for the first time when I apply for my ED Visa, how can I convince them that I have a genuine interest in learning Thai, and that too, I would be able to support myself through self-financing? My course length is 3-6 months. What financial proof do I need to show them for my initial Visa? I never studied in Thailand, so please provide some further details.

You will not need financial proof to apply for the ED visa at an embassy or consulate unless the they ask to see the standard 20,000 baht proof needed for all visas. See:http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

As I said in my previous post you could get a tourist visa and attend a school.

• Like 1

You will not need financial proof to apply for the ED visa at an embassy or consulate unless the they ask to see the standard 20,000 baht proof needed for all visas. See:http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

-------

^Ooops, that's not correct. According to the new visa regulation, you must carry at least Baht 20,000/ or equivalent to prove you can support yourself while in Thailand for the entire period of you study. And you are not supposed to study without a student visa obtained from your Consulate. This would be illegal. That's the reason the Thai immigration is cracking down on Language schools who offer short cuts.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

-------

^Ooops, that's not correct. According to the new visa regulation, you must carry at least Baht 20,000/ or equivalent to prove you can support yourself while in Thailand for the entire period of you study. And you are not supposed to study without a student visa obtained from your Consulate. This would be illegal. That's the reason the Thai immigration is cracking down on Language schools who offer short cuts.

There is no such rule that you have to carry 20k baht or some form of financial poof with you at all times

A ED visa is not required to attend a school. There is no rule, law or regulation that says you have to have an ED visa.

The ED visa and extension of stay for going to school is just a way to get a permit to stay in the country.

You can pay for 6 months and get a ED Visa at some schools..

Edit: wrong site sorry, but there are Schools do a search......... this one ? http://www.tls-bangkok.com/english/ed-visa-1/

http://www.tls-bangkok.com/english/ed-visa-1/

...We are very sorry but please contact us if you are a national of one of the countries below;

(We may not be able to issue visa )

1. Bahrain 2. Bangladesh 3. India 4. Iran 5. Israel 6. Kuwait 7. Nepal 8. Iraq 9. Oman

10. Pakistan 11. Qatar 12. Saudi Arabia 13. United Arab Emirates 14. Sri Lankan 15. Turkey

and African countries.
^ What does it mean? Students from the above countries are not eligible for ED Visa?

Does anyone know anyone who has actually had to turn in these new forms? I have had two extensions since the changes were announced and there has been no change in the forms I turn in, or changes in the procedure at the immigration office.

I also asked my school about any new forms I might need when I do the renewal, they said nothing but new photos needed.

The owner of the school I am at (I actually go to class and study BTW) says the new folks in charge have been backing off on some of the proposed crackdowns. FWIW

Does anyone know anyone who has actually had to turn in these new forms? I have had two extensions since the changes were announced and there has been no change in the forms I turn in, or changes in the procedure at the immigration office.

I also asked my school about any new forms I might need when I do the renewal, they said nothing but new photos needed.

The owner of the school I am at (I actually go to class and study BTW) says the new folks in charge have been backing off on some of the proposed crackdowns. FWIW

If you have done 2 extensions you must have been studying for at least 6 months, right ? Did you have to do a Min. of Ed test ? As I asked in another thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/737995-ed-visa-moe-test-after-6-months/ the office girls at my school tell me I have to do a test soon, but from previous experience I'm not sure if they know what they are talking about (see that thread). Nobody has answered my query yet, so I'm beginning to think nobody else has done this supposed test at 6 months and the office girls are talking rubbish.

• Like 1

If you have done 2 extensions you must have been studying for at least 6 months, right ? Did you have to do a Min. of Ed test ? As I asked in another thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/737995-ed-visa-moe-test-after-6-months/ the office girls at my school tell me I have to do a test soon, but from previous experience I'm not sure if they know what they are talking about (see that thread). Nobody has answered my query yet, so I'm beginning to think nobody else has done this supposed test at 6 months and the office girls are talking rubbish.

Yeah I have been in school for close to a year now. I'm gonna ask again at school tomorrow.

On a positive note, all this has inspired me to be a more diligent student and study harder. Nothing like a little fear to put a fire under your ass 555

• Like 1

I apologize in advance if the answer was given somewhere in the 13 pages of this thread.

Has these new application forms been released yet? Or is there a date that they should be in use ?

Thank you

OK. I am just back from school and I have the latest scoop, at least according to them

First thing they said was not to worry about the changes, the stricter enforcement is very targeted. As an American they don’t care too much, Americans are not the ones working illegally in jobs Thais could be doing. Visas for nationals of targeted countries (IE Russia, Ukraine, African and some Muslim countries) are the ones that are being looked at more closely.

I also learned that my understanding of how the ED visa works was a little off. There is no annual renewal with immigration for a language school ED visa. The ED visa you get at language school is a 90 day visa that you get one time, then you get 90 day extensions one after another, up to several years total. I thought there was some sort of annual review/renewal with Immigration. The annual renewal I have coming up is just with the school; a new contract, pay for the new year, etc.

Language schools are on a different set of rules from Universities and other major schools like that. They still have some sort of 1 year visa, or a one year extension, but I don’t know enough about it to feel I can say anything more than, ’It’s different’.

There is one added bit of documentation which immigration has requested (from my school) for all the 90 day extensions. They want a photo of the student outside their home/building standing where the address number can be seen, and a picture of the student inside their house/room. They already had a copy of my rental agreement as part of the package, so I guess just one more layer of checking your info is right.

FWIW I’ll also toss in that my School is owned by an American guy, and they seem to discourage folks from signing up, not coming to class and still wanting to keep getting extensions.

Why do people get upset, surely these ed bods, have money to last the year, and following years.

No wonder the authorities dont want em here.

Yeah I have been in school for close to a year now. I'm gonna ask again at school tomorrow.

On a positive note, all this has inspired me to be a more diligent student and study harder. Nothing like a little fear to put a fire under your ass 555

At least you are being honest, unlike some ,well done sir

Yeah. I am not a fan of the schools that let folks slide, never come to class, never actually do anything but pay the fee. They make it worse for those of us trying to be legit.

That's just plain silly

The requirements are about how you support yourself and making sure you are not working on ED visa.

They are way past finding out who is really learning Thai and who is not.

Proving immigration that you do go to lessons is irrelevant now.

it's free interpretation from your part, I don't think that's going to help anyone.

My friend was interviewed in Thai and had to prove his Japanese abilities (he was learning Japanese), but because they can't speak Japanese, they could not interviewed him in Japanese and lose face.

So they questioned him in Thai (his Thai is crap),got a "pass" so he can continue learning Japanese. That makes no sense to anyone, not to the school, not to the student and not to the MOE either, and that shows and the "Prove me you are actually attending classes" game is just OVER.

Everyone passes the test.

it's free interpretation from your part, I don't think that's going to help anyone.

My friend was interviewed in Thai and had to prove his Japanese abilities (he was learning Japanese), but because they can't speak Japanese, they could not interviewed him in Japanese and lose face.

So they questioned him in Thai (his Thai is crap),got a "pass" so he can continue learning Japanese. That makes no sense to anyone, not to the school, not to the student and not to the MOE either, and that shows and the "Prove me you are actually attending classes" game is just OVER.

My interpretation of what you're saying is that there is no need to go to classes as long as you can prove you're able to support yourself without illegally working in Thailand.

If that's what you are saying then I wouldn't call it unhelpful, I'd call it downright dangerous & would urge anybody who's on an ED visa (especially one related to a Thai subject which I'm sure the vast majority are) to think again before heeding it.

But good luck anyway [emoji106]

My interpretation of what you're saying is that there is no need to go to classes as long as you can prove you're able to support yourself without illegally working in Thailand.

If that's what you are saying then I wouldn't call it unhelpful, I'd call it downright dangerous & would urge anybody who's on an ED visa (especially one related to a Thai subject which I'm sure the vast majority are) to think again before heeding it.

Please give ONE name of a school that rats on its students and tell immigration when they don't attend so they lose their visa.

Ubonjoe, you have the patience of a saint for answering these questions ad nauseam.

For proof that I don't need to work to support myself, I'm bringing my husband's last few paycheck stubs and copies of our last couple of bank statements. I don't think it will be that big of an issue anyway, but I'd rather be covered than not.

Now, I just need for all of the current requirements to stay in play until I get my visa and head over. So, if the powers that be could just hold off a little longer on changing things, that would be great. biggrin.png

This is gonna cause massive problems for some people. Not to mention learning centres disappearing fast! How do Walen aim to make life easier for its students and customers? Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Good points about the disappearing ed centers. I haven't Mac Walen pop up on these boards in a month or so--maybe I've just missed his topics. But I would like to hear him explain things from the "inside," so to speak.

Please give ONE name of a school that rats on its students and tell immigration when they don't attend so they lose their visa.

I’m not suggesting schools actively rat on their students, but if MOE/Immigration asked to see attendance records are you suggesting that there are schools that will provide them with false data? Wait, don’t answer that, I’m sure there are! But obviously not all schools would, so if you attend (or not as the case may be) one of these, it would be easy for them to work it out for themselves.

If you’re studying Thai language, Thai Cooking or even Muay Thai then it’s obviously a lot easier for MOE/Immigration to work out whether you’ve been attending/studying or not, whether this results in a denied/cancelled Renewal/Extension or not I’ve no idea, but with the crackdown on “Out/In” Visa runners & a tightening in issuing Tourist Visa I think most people believe the ED Visa is next so would you really want to risk yours on not attending a class for 4 hours a week? – Up To You :)

Maybe the answer is to select something that they’re unlikely to be able to give you a proficiency test on (e.g. Japanese, Chinese etc…) or even something that you’re already a lot more proficient in than would be expected from attending school.

Too many personal attacks as well as reporting on me including one suspension. I'm reading forums. Walen students are up to date with all the new developments.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I’m not suggesting schools actively rat on their students, but if MOE/Immigration asked to see attendance records are you suggesting that there are schools that will provide them with false data? Wait, don’t answer that, I’m sure there are! But obviously not all schools would, so if you attend (or not as the case may be) one of these, it would be easy for them to work it out for themselves.

If you’re studying Thai language, Thai Cooking or even Muay Thai then it’s obviously a lot easier for MOE/Immigration to work out whether you’ve been attending/studying or not, whether this results in a denied/cancelled Renewal/Extension or not I’ve no idea, but with the crackdown on “Out/In” Visa runners & a tightening in issuing Tourist Visa I think most people believe the ED Visa is next so would you really want to risk yours on not attending a class for 4 hours a week? – Up To You smile.png

Maybe the answer is to select something that they’re unlikely to be able to give you a proficiency test on (e.g. Japanese, Chinese etc…) or even something that you’re already a lot more proficient in than would be expected from attending school.

You don't get it do you?

The all thing is a scam.

it's hypocritical to accuse the students, they are the juicy goose, everyone feeds upon.

Reports from a friend who was extending a tourist visa for +30 days in Isaan.. He was grilled on source of funds, over an extension, and told not to come back to immigration and they would not extend any further tourist visas for him in that office.

So thats a legit issued visa, being extended, not a land border.. and still being given 'final warnings'.

How many times or how many visas he already extended in his passport?