Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

it's free interpretation from your part, I don't think that's going to help anyone.

My friend was interviewed in Thai and had to prove his Japanese abilities (he was learning Japanese), but because they can't speak Japanese, they could not interviewed him in Japanese and lose face.

So they questioned him in Thai (his Thai is crap),got a "pass" so he can continue learning Japanese. That makes no sense to anyone, not to the school, not to the student and not to the MOE either, and that shows and the "Prove me you are actually attending classes" game is just OVER.

Everyone passes the test.

My interpretation of what you're saying is that there is no need to go to classes as long as you can prove you're able to support yourself without illegally working in Thailand.

If that's what you are saying then I wouldn't call it unhelpful, I'd call it downright dangerous & would urge anybody who's on an ED visa (especially one related to a Thai subject which I'm sure the vast majority are) to think again before heeding it.

But good luck anyway [emoji106]

Please give ONE name of a school that rats on its students and tell immigration when they don't attend so they lose their visa.

I’m not suggesting schools actively rat on their students, but if MOE/Immigration asked to see attendance records are you suggesting that there are schools that will provide them with false data? Wait, don’t answer that, I’m sure there are! But obviously not all schools would, so if you attend (or not as the case may be) one of these, it would be easy for them to work it out for themselves.

If you’re studying Thai language, Thai Cooking or even Muay Thai then it’s obviously a lot easier for MOE/Immigration to work out whether you’ve been attending/studying or not, whether this results in a denied/cancelled Renewal/Extension or not I’ve no idea, but with the crackdown on “Out/In” Visa runners & a tightening in issuing Tourist Visa I think most people believe the ED Visa is next so would you really want to risk yours on not attending a class for 4 hours a week? – Up To You smile.png

Maybe the answer is to select something that they’re unlikely to be able to give you a proficiency test on (e.g. Japanese, Chinese etc…) or even something that you’re already a lot more proficient in than would be expected from attending school.

You don't get it do you?

The all thing is a scam.

it's hypocritical to accuse the students, they are the juicy goose, everyone feeds upon.

Oh I get it & nobody is accusing real or bogus students of anything, but would suggest that if they're clamping down on out/in visa (exempt) runners & people getting back-2-back tourist visas then it's inevitable that they'll look at the other visas with ED being the obvious one & one that seems to be being abused so there's a fair case for looking at it.

How much money people have seems to be largely irrelevant unless you're going for an Investment visa or a Thai Elite cars.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh I get it & nobody is accusing real or bogus students of anything, but would suggest that if they're clamping down on out/in visa (exempt) runners & people getting back-2-back tourist visas then it's inevitable that they'll look at the other visas with ED being the obvious one & one that seems to be being abused so there's a fair case for looking at it.

How much money people have seems to be largely irrelevant unless you're going for an Investment visa or a Thai Elite cars.

Every one is accusing so called bogus students ALL THE TIME here on Thaivisa.

The abuse of visa is a myth, if they really wanted "bogus students" out, it would be very easy for immigration: Just send immigration officers to check on bogus ghost schools, and close them down, it would take one month two at the most. Done. End of story.

The abuse of visa is a myth, if they really wanted "bogus students" out, it would be very easy for immigration: Just send immigration officers to check on bogus ghost schools, and close them down, it would take one month two at the most. Done. End of story.

I guess many schools got good ties with immigration and that..
  • Like 1

Sorry, you were the one advocating that people didn't need to attend class, just needed to be able to show enough monies/income to prove that they weren't working illegally in Thailand, surely that is an abuse of the ED Visa!

Again, my #personal# view is that if you're on an ED visa u should 1) be able to prove you can support yourself without having to work in Thailand, 2) (as a minimum) meet the hours of study criteria & be ready to demonstrate this.

& again, if you're view is different then Up-2-You... Good luck [emoji4][emoji106]

Sorry, you were the one advocating that people didn't need to attend class, just needed to be able to show enough monies/income to prove that they weren't working illegally in Thailand, surely that is an abuse of the ED Visa!

Again, my #personal# view is that if you're on an ED visa u should 1) be able to prove you can support yourself without having to work in Thailand, 2) (as a minimum) meet the hours of study criteria & be ready to demonstrate this.

& again, if you're view is different then Up-2-You... Good luck [emoji4][emoji106]

Personal view is irrelevant here.

What we are trying to work out is what the immigration's view is

• Like 1

Just noticed this thread and skim-read the start and end. So basically there was some 'crackdown' 7 months ago but nothing has really changed and the new forms not enforced yet? That's about the cliffnotes?

Was there any criteria set for what they don't like to read in your 2 year visa history (e.g. what if I was on tourist visas for 2 years but still can prove offshore income for that period)?

• Like 1

My friend is contemplating the ED visa route as he is 48 and wishes to change to retirement visa at age 50.

Now this is what he has been told when it comes up for renewal.

Expect to be able to be ? in thai and possibly to read some thai text,dont worry about income etc as all the authorities are interested in is that you are actually learning.

The worst part for him is he has to make a decision next week whether to enrol,although his visa is not due to run out until late august,so it's a case of i want your money now mr.cheesy.gif

Just noticed this thread and skim-read the start and end. So basically there was some 'crackdown' 7 months ago but nothing has really changed and the new forms not enforced yet? That's about the cliffnotes?

Was there any criteria set for what they don't like to read in your 2 year visa history (e.g. what if I was on tourist visas for 2 years but still can prove offshore income for that period)?

Exactly.

Remember the info came from a school (Walen).

• Like 1

it's free interpretation from your part, I don't think that's going to help anyone.

My friend was interviewed in Thai and had to prove his Japanese abilities (he was learning Japanese), but because they can't speak Japanese, they could not interviewed him in Japanese and lose face.

So they questioned him in Thai (his Thai is crap),got a "pass" so he can continue learning Japanese. That makes no sense to anyone, not to the school, not to the student and not to the MOE either, and that shows and the "Prove me you are actually attending classes" game is just OVER.

My interpretation of what you're saying is that there is no need to go to classes as long as you can prove you're able to support yourself without illegally working in Thailand.

If that's what you are saying then I wouldn't call it unhelpful, I'd call it downright dangerous & would urge anybody who's on an ED visa (especially one related to a Thai subject which I'm sure the vast majority are) to think again before heeding it.

Please give ONE name of a school that rats on its students and tell immigration when they don't attend so they lose their visa.

I know my school is not shy about telling Immigration that a student is not turning up for classes, if they are asked.

I am currently on a Tourist Visa, but in the process with my business partner of setting up another company.

Because it will take time for my Non B visa and Work Permit, I decided to sign up for a 6 month Thai language course.

I have wanted to learn Thai for sometime (been living in Bangkok 6 years) but kept putting it off because of other time commitments and frankly getting a visa exempt stamp every 30 days as I flew back and forth between Bangkok and Hogn Kone every month was just so much easier.

Anyway, new rules on Visa and Visa exemptions mean I needed to change to proper visas.

At the school I was given forms which asked for details of all visits to Thailand over the previous 2 years (the forms everyone including myself has been worried about)

They asked me to just sign the form but said I didn't need to fill it out. They didn't want to know how I was supporting myself or anything.....

So, whilst I'm not claiming this is 100% the same for every school and application, it appears there may be less to worry about *at the moment* than people feared.

Be aware however that Immigration is clamping down on Visa abuse and logical would dictate that Education Visa may come under increased scrutiny.

Be aware however that Immigration is clamping down on Visa abuse and logical would dictate that Education Visa may come under increased scrutiny.

You can see from the date of this thread that the ED visa already had it's increased scrutiny. It seems that the ED visa was where they started.

This is gonna cause massive problems for some people. Not to mention learning centres disappearing fast! How do Walen aim to make life easier for its students and customers? Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Walen School is taking good care of our students. If someone wants to learn Thai and obtain an ED visa let me know. Walen is certainly not going to disappear fast but it is quite possible that schools that were establish solely to sell ED visas will. Walen School is a real language school.

www.thaiwalen.com

Walen School - it makes sense to learn Thai

• Like 2

This is gonna cause massive problems for some people. Not to mention learning centres disappearing fast! How do Walen aim to make life easier for its students and customers? Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Walen School is taking good care of our students. If someone wants to learn Thai and obtain an ED visa let me know. Walen is certainly not going to disappear fast but it is quite possible that schools that were establish solely to sell ED visas will. Walen School is a real language school.

www.thaiwalen.com

Hilarious.

• Like 2

www.thaiwalen.com

Hilarious.

Maybe but it works.

What is hilarious? From everything I have heard and seen Walen is a good school. They and the school I eventually went with were my top two choices after doing a lot of shopping around for schools in Pattaya.

Maybe you just like to mock those who do things in a way you personally don't approve of, not uncommon on this board, I'm sad to say.

Regardless, I am freshly back from Jomtien Immigration with my new 90 day extension stamp and reporting my experience as promised.
Everything went very smoothly except for one odd request.
My school gave me the packet of papers today after class, which included the photos Inside and outside my apartment that I previously mentioned. Immigration was still open so I decided to bomb over to Jomtien and just get it done. The number queue signs were back in operation, which was nice, it was kind of hectic keeping track of when it was your turn when the signs were not working.
I got there just about 4pm and there was only one number in line ahead of me. Only a couple minutes later they called my number and I sat down at window 5 and handed them my passport and the document packet. Everything was going exactly as normal until the lady picked one page out of my passport and told me to go next door and make a copy of that page as well. I ran out, got a copy for 5 baht, brought it in, she added it to the stack, and re-stapled the whole thing back together. I paid my 1900 baht, got my receipt, she stamped my passport and I moved on to the second lady who double checked everything and then signed my stamp. All done. EZPZ.
I do not know why they wanted a stamp of that particular page. It did have two out/in stamps at the Cambodia border on that page, and one of the several full page Cambodia visas. Those out/ins were from I when I was on my first visa here, a 3 entry tourist visa. They were the border runs I did to activate the second and third entry. They did not ask for copies of any other of the several pages with out/in stamps activating other tourist visa entries, nor did they ask for copies of the pages with a couple of back to back overland out/ins granting 15 day visa waivers. Nor did they ask for a copy of the page with my one, and only one, overstay of 2 days.
I went back to school for them to make copies of the new stamp and told them about the extra page they asked for. They did not know why they wanted that particular page either.
Immigration did not test me on what I was learning in school or speak to me in Thai. They barely spoke to me at all, which is normal. From all I have read, if there is any official testing that is gonna happen it will be the Education Ministry who does the testing, but I have heard nothing about any actual plans to actually test anyone.
  • Like 1

You just say that you are supporting yourself. Then if they want proof show some form of proof that you have funds coming into the country from abroad. The best proof would be a Thai bank book showing transfers in.

This is going to really hurt a lot of English Teachers that have been using the ED visa while they teach.

The only income they have is teaching but they are not going to be able to show it.

This is also going to mean more work for Embassies as they are going to have to verify the income much like they do for us younger folk.

Should be interesting to see how this works out.

I agree though with all the abuse it is about time they did something to resolve the abuse.

Ok, I know this solution will make them loose some $$ on the way, but can't they just wire the income by western union or similar to someone in their home country, then have that person send the cash back to a Thai account showing that he/she got funds from some relative abroad?

Ok, it would be to abuse the system, I'm aware of that. And yes, teachers should get a non imm Visa + working permit, but at the same time immigrations and ministries and schools should make it easier to get these qualifications IF they want these ESL/TEFL teachers, which obviously many do.

For me, I'm going the marriage route, had no plans to get married in 2 years, and we still will not hold the official ceremony at the province in 1-2 years. It kind of sucks to get married before the intended time, just like getting a child before you're ready. But if those are the rules then so be it. There are a lot of qualifications that will get easier once married with children, so since I really want to stay here I better just like the situation.

However, I've been thinking of the ED-visa for a year as well. I only speak Thai normally except when I write here or when I talk to my mom or some friends back home, so I'm not really scared of officials testing me. How much does the immigration want you to show?

And since most of my money are in a Norwegian bank account, they will only see Norwegian kronor, is there somewhere I can make a certified translation of printings from bank as well as what it's worth in baht?

You just say that you are supporting yourself. Then if they want proof show some form of proof that you have funds coming into the country from abroad. The best proof would be a Thai bank book showing transfers in.

This is going to really hurt a lot of English Teachers that have been using the ED visa while they teach.

The only income they have is teaching but they are not going to be able to show it.

This is also going to mean more work for Embassies as they are going to have to verify the income much like they do for us younger folk.

I agree though with all the abuse it is about time they did something to resolve the abuse.

However, I've been thinking of the ED-visa for a year as well. I only speak Thai normally except when I write here or when I talk to my mom or some friends back home, so I'm not really scared of officials testing me. How much does the immigration want you to show?

And since most of my money are in a Norwegian bank account, they will only see Norwegian kronor, is there somewhere I can make a certified translation of printings from bank as well as what it's worth in baht?

Outside of the old 'big fish eats little fish' story urban myth I have not heard of anyone who has been tested by immigration.

Amazing Thailand! They make it harder and harder for me to live here and dump my money into the their economy. When will realize that there are people in this world who are under 50 yrs old and don't have to work?

They do, You'll need 10 mil baht to put in a CD which draws interest that is taxed, then you can get an Investor B

• Like 1

Outside of the old 'big fish eats little fish' story urban myth I have not heard of anyone who has been tested by immigration.

I been tested twice at the immigration, nothing official she asked me where i was from, how long i go to school, where my school is, what times I go to school, why i go to school i didnt get the fish question

You really need a good reason to learn Thai (wife, job etc) which would imply you want to stay here for an extended period of time. No one is going to casually learn Thai, it's not a universal language. I see this as a bit of either, we don't want people studying Thai and living here, or investing in learning Thai to stay here long term (which it implies you want to do).

Indeed,

There's not many legitimate reasons for someone to come from abroad to learn Thai.

So really aside from wanting to live here long term very few people are going to "legitimately" need the education visa,

• Like 1

Indeed,

There's not many legitimate reasons for someone to come from abroad to learn Thai.

So really aside from wanting to live here long term very few people are going to "legitimately" need the education visa,

Second sour post about ED visa from you today.

There is plenty of people that likes to study Thai and be legal in country at the same time.

Then if you don't like the idea without having even tried it, this thread doesn't really benefit from your opinion.

I know my school is not shy about telling Immigration that a student is not turning up for classes, if they are asked.

What school is this?

• Like 1

You really need a good reason to learn Thai (wife, job etc) which would imply you want to stay here for an extended period of time. No one is going to casually learn Thai, it's not a universal language. I see this as a bit of either, we don't want people studying Thai and living here, or investing in learning Thai to stay here long term (which it implies you want to do).

Indeed,

So simply liking Thailand and planning to retire here is not a "legitimate" reason to learn to speak/read/write Thai? Is speaking Thai some closely guarded secret which must be protected from the unworthy?

I am constantly amazed by some of the bizarre opinions spouted on this board.

Best to say you have an adoration for the King

So simply liking Thailand and planning to retire here is not a "legitimate" reason to learn to speak/read/write Thai? Is speaking Thai some closely guarded secret which must be protected from the unworthy?

I am constantly amazed by some of the bizarre opinions spouted on this board.

Planning to retire in Thailand and wanting to learn Thai is a perfectly fine.

But I think you're missing my point.

They are now saying they want to clamp down on people who are not using the edu visa for legitimate purposes. But the only purpose of anyone wanting to learn Thai is because they want to live in the country - it's useless outside of Thailand.

So their plan to refuse people who have previously spent a lot of time in the country because they are obviously not legitimately wanting to learn Thai is flawed.

Planning to retire in Thailand and wanting to learn Thai is a perfectly fine.

But I think you're missing my point.

They are now saying they want to clamp down on people who are not using the edu visa for legitimate purposes. But the only purpose of anyone wanting to learn Thai is because they want to live in the country - it's useless outside of Thailand.

So their plan to refuse people who have previously spent a lot of time in the country because they are obviously not legitimately wanting to learn Thai is flawed.

The thing is they don't need a plan, they do what they like, it's their country, they only have to make up excuses as they go along, but excuses don't need to be valid.

If they feel the population will be happy and will stop protesting for a while - and forget about the real issues of this country like corruption- they will say all problems come from Farangs and they will kick us out,

whistling.gif For a retirement extension/visa you need to show it's your income and comes from outside of thailand.

For a marriage extension/visa you will need to show it's your income and comes from outside Thailand.

For those of you getting a Ed visa/extension they may not yet need an income fron outside Thailand and it may not yet need to be your income.

But I personally expect that will be the next requirement.

They that have eyes let them see; and those that have ears, let them hear.

(It's a quote from the Bible).

whistling.gif For a retirement extension/visa you need to show it's your income and comes from outside of thailand.

For a marriage extension/visa you will need to show it's your income and comes from outside Thailand.

For those of you getting a Ed visa/extension they may not yet need an income fron outside Thailand and it may not yet need to be your income.

But I personally expect that will be the next requirement.

They that have eyes let them see; and those that have ears, let them hear.

(It's a quote from the Bible).

Actually this thread started last year with the announcement of new forms to show where your income is coming from...

• 2 months later...

Any idea why these forms asking about the applicant's religion and that of his/her mother and father? I haven't previously encounter any government interest in my deeply held belief in Pastafarianism.

I don't know where you are from but in many countries this is a standard question even though it has no connection with whatever the form is about. For example, in Australia they ask this on many forms - irrelevant as it is.