Technical problem leaves Bangkok BTS in rush hour meltdown

webfact

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess its not unreasonable to expect breakdowns to any mass transport system sometimes.

But a total system failure for this length of time would seem to be more than a slight glitch?

I'm not familiar with comparable systems in the region, Singapore/Malaysia etc., have they had anything similar?

Off-topic posts and replies deleted. Please stay on topic. You may speculate, whinge, moan, groan and conspire after it is up and running.

Right now, people need information about the system and nonsense is not helpful.

Anytime there is two drops of rain in NYC the subways get messed up. but at least there are alternatives there.

How many pax use the NYC system vs Thai BTS?

How old are the respective systems?

How extensive are the respective systems?

Please don't compare the BTS issues to those in nyc. NYC is constantly under real threat of terrorism, for example.

Can you imagine the Thais being able to thwart any would be terrorists? Not likely.

It's their first break down in 14 years of service. Even in Singapore, their MRT has broken down a few times this year for hours. Things like this happen, don't have to go into the 'Thailand sucks' rant.

While that is true in respect of a system-wide failure, it is not uncommon to see faults with single trains. At Siam the other day, the doors closed without warning as passengers were getting on, did not release as people were caught in the doors and it took about 60 seconds for a manual release to be initiated. A number of elderly people were quite distressed by it. I've seen that happen a few times.

The system is pretty good but there will have to be an overhaul/rethink of ticketing system...at peak hour it is beyond chaotic and usage cannot grow, as it should, until the very silly ticket machines are replaced ( or in the alternative, sell tickets at 7-11 and elsewhere).

My tip is that if you don't use the Sky Train often, make sure you take enough change for a two way trip to avoid waiting in the change queue, then buy two passes at your point of departure which means you only have to queue for the ticket line once. If you're a tourist, buy a pass. It'll make your vacation go a lot easier even if you don't use all the rides. Money well spent in my opinion.

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 2

BTS skytrain: All services suspended 1st time in 14 years, expected to resume at noon; commuters flock into MRT underground /MCOT

Of course, all transit systems have periodic glitches. But this above is, I think, the most pertinent fact:

I don't believe, ever before in the history of the BTS, has there been a full systemwide shutdown for this duration of time. That makes it a pretty big deal.

I like the way the various Thai news reports above talk about the service being "disrupted." The entirety of a two line rail system being taken down is "disrupted"??? How about "halted," "canceled," "shut down."

But more distressingly, although BTS apparently knew about the problem in the early morning/overnight hours, it seems they did little to give much/any advance warning to travelers who would start arriving at their stations when they opened at 6 am and beyond.

But, glad that they're back online now...

BTS Skytrain announces service resumption after technical glitch in control system disrupting services across the whole system for first time in 14 years /MCOT
Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I think the BTS is a great system. They don't try to do anything fancy, they've extended their lines, added trains, extended their trains, added new ticket machines, identified new sources of revenue with their on-train and on-platform displays... One of it's biggest problems is its popularity, but they try to mitigate that with their pricing structure. I'm slightly surprised that there have not been more accidents on the platforms at Siam. Are they adding more escalators there? It's good the way they've managed to achieve cross-platform interchange to minimise the changing of levels, but it's still a very crowded station.

If I was that bothered about their ticketing system, I'd have a stored-value card.

It'll be interesting to see what the problem was, though I doubt they will share much detail.

SC

• Like 1

Maybe if the owners of the BTS, yes it is privately owned by one of the richest and corrupt families in Thailand, hadn't not been so busy milking money from investors with their infrastructurefund and other financiel instruments, and spent a little on maintance, this would not have happened??whistling.gif

Complete rubbish!

I am an investor with a million shares in BTS.

1. I have not been "milked" of my money

2. I have made 300%+ profit in 3 years

3. I have dividends of 7% on top of the profit on sale of shares in BTS.

4. I have seen their workshops and maintenance system, I see no problem.

5. The problem is with the use of radio communication system to control the trains

Thanks for the investment tip.

thumbsup.gif

BTS
Skytrains' services resume

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Services of the skytrains that broke down this morning resumed at 11am.

Earlier it was expected to resume this afternoon. Anat Apapirom, advisor to the Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS) Company said the computerized controlling and navigation systems of both Sukhumvit and Silom routes broke down at about 3am. The malfunction was the first time in 14 years, he said.

"Our experts and engineers are doing with best efforts to fix the errors and problems. The repairs will take about half day, so the services will resume this afternoon," he said.

BTS officials were seen informing people about the problems at foot of the stairs under the stations. They suggested people to use other public transportation.

At many stations, bus stops were crowded with people heading to offices.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-24

TVGerry

Thank goodness there are some (likely) younger guys among us who haven't completely given up on the world yet. It's quite natural for us to sort of stop caring as we age. Our perspective often changes.

In a competitive world, where things are harshly criticised, I fear the BTS has immense room for improvement. I also do agree with BKKdreaming that the city would be far worse without the BTS. So, on balance, it's a helpful system, no doubt. But, that doesn't mean it's a truly 'good' system.

By the way, the act of isolating individual issues and not linking them or discussing them more broadly in the larger context of the systems they operate in is a very common trait among people here in Thailand and it is one of the reasons things are so very messed up here.

• Like 1

Maybe the protesters cut the power line or hacked the Computer systemwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

First reply and we have red shirt bs rhetocric already. This is getting out of hand ! Care to offer a reason why you think they would do such a thing mr. red troll ? facepalm.gif

You moron, he is a yellow shirt troll trying to be droll, and failing on all counts.

TVGerry

Thank goodness there are some (likely) younger guys among us who haven't completely given up on the world yet. It's quite natural for us to sort of stop caring as we age. Our perspective often changes.

In a competitive world, where things are harshly criticised, I fear the BTS has immense room for improvement. I also do agree with BKKdreaming that the city would be far worse without the BTS. So, on balance, it's a helpful system, no doubt. But, that doesn't mean it's a truly 'good' system.

By the way, the act of isolating individual issues and not linking them or discussing them more broadly in the larger context of the systems they operate in is a very common trait among people here in Thailand and it is one of the reasons things are so very messed up here.

No system is perfect but before you start criticizing the BTS here, do a comparison with other countries. I worked in Singapore a few years and comparatively, the BTS here is so much better. Don't take my word for it, Google it and see what Singaporeans say about their MRT system compared to the BTS here.

This country has all sorts of problems but not everything here sucks as compared to other countries.

TVGerry

No system is perfect but before you start criticizing the BTS here, do a comparison with other countries. I worked in Singapore a few years and comparatively, the BTS here is so much better. Don't take my word for it, Google it and see what Singaporeans say about their MRT system compared to the BTS here.

This country has all sorts of problems but not everything here sucks as compared to other countries.

Are you serious? I'm not going to compare it to Singapore's, I'm gonna use a comparable country and city, let's compare it to KL's LRT: 8 lines and counting, taking you anywhere from 15km to 40km from the center (KLCC).

Here it can take you to Chatuchak or 1 km past the river.

In any event, the combo BTS/MRT here is not bad, as long as there are no glitches like this.

• Like 2

TVGerry

Are you serious? I'm not going to compare it to Singapore's, I'm gonna use a comparable country and city, let's compare it to KL's LRT: 8 lines and counting, taking you anywhere from 15km to 40km from the center (KLCC).

Here it can take you to Chatuchak or 1 km past the river.

In any event, the combo BTS/MRT here is not bad, as long as there are no glitches like this.

Eight?

There's the two LRTs : Bangkok has the two BTS lines, plus the MRT

The Airport Express Line : The Airport Express Line

KTM Commuter : SRT Commuter

Intercity : Intercity

The Monorail : BRT

I'm still two short...

RT @RichardBarrow: 8:15am - RT @knowmorepor: BTS executive gave an interview said it is caused by radio transmitters failure in signaling system.

Should read transmitters are being jammed causing a failure in the signalling system.

Actual problem is that the trains are not controlled by the drivers, but from the Morchit control room via WIFI. The system suffers occasionally due

to the jamming of its signal by local radio transmissions such as radio stations and taxis straying near BTS's wavelength. In the past these outages have been only a matter of minutes after momentary loss of communication while the computer recalculates where all the trains are located on the system. Control by WIFI is not a good system to use in Bangkok where there is less control on the airwaves.

Radio communications used by the demonstrators and/or press/TV could jam the BTS communication systems, if they stray on to the same wavelength.

The problem is easily fixed by doing what militarys do. They change frequencies rapidly, in a controlled way, making it nearly impossible to jam or tap in to/hack

Estrada, on 24 Dec 2013 - 09:05, said:

Maybe if the owners of the BTS, yes it is privately owned by one of the richest and corrupt families in Thailand, hadn't not been so busy milking money from investors with their infrastructurefund and other financiel instruments, and spent a little on maintance, this would not have happened??whistling.gif

Complete rubbish!

I am an investor with a million shares in BTS.

1. I have not been "milked" of my money

2. I have made 300%+ profit in 3 years

3. I have dividends of 7% on top of the profit on sale of shares in BTS.

4. I have seen their workshops and maintenance system, I see no problem.

5. The problem is with the use of radio communication system to control the trains

Can I be your friend?wai.gif