British Real Ale Lovers - Happy Christmas from Villa Market

draftvader

Bought 24 cans of Murphy's stout for 105 bht per can at Phuket's cheapest megastore. I think I paid 180bht in Bkk for the same.

That's an awful lot of tight corners where beer is concerned but, agreed, still much better than most local beers (though I would rather drink Beer Laos Dark).

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought 24 cans of Murphy's stout for 105 bht per can at Phuket's cheapest megastore. I think I paid 180bht in Bkk for the same.

That's an awful lot of tight corners where beer is concerned but, agreed, still much better than most local beers (though I would rather drink Beer Laos Dark).

Apples and oranges, my friend. I love stouts and porters, and Beer Lao dark is neither. A new rival to Beer Lao has just entered Villa Market in Phuket. It's called Kingdom (from Cambodia), and their Kingdom Dunkel at 6.5% abv, the same style as beer Lao. I liked it better though. Edited by BestBitterPhuket

I saw this at Villa the other day...and was trying to figure out what the heck it is... It was shelved in their beer section.

There's a big bottle (750ml) that may or may not be at Villa alongside it, I got this at Foodland, it's a clear bottle but you won't notice it until you move the bottle itself. It has an off white colour. Possibly a cider-style. There's a drink that comes from Japan called Calpis, it taste exactly like that with a bit of alcohol.

I had to have the Kingdom Dunkel (Cambodian) to wash that taste out.

These are some of the items I noticed during my recent visit to the Villa beer section:

These, I haven't seen mentioned here before:

post-58284-0-86392100-1411391769_thumb.j

This one, mentioned her in the past:

post-58284-0-24629700-1411391723_thumb.j

This one, a perennial favorite and probably the best beer for the price in Thailand:

post-58284-0-02987300-1411391707_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

These are some of the items I noticed during my recent visit to the Villa beer section:

These, I haven't seen mentioned here before:

Wadworth The Beer Kitchen-Villa.jpg

This one, mentioned her in the past:

Imperial Russian Stout-Villa-279b.jpg

This one, a perennial favorite and probably the best beer for the price in Thailand:

Young's Double Choc Stout-Villa-139b.jpg

The Beer Kitchen is a boutique or craft spin off from Wadworth brewery. I have tried all of the above, except the beer aged in whiskey barrels. They are all good, but not as good as the Hook Norton's, St Austell or Sambrook's in that price range.

The Courage Russian Stout scores very high in the rankings at beeradvocate.com and ratebeer.com. I think it's good, but there are better imperial stouts out there. It is much better than the dreadful Lion's Stout though.

Edited by BestBitterPhuket

Funny. I didn't mention the Beer Kitchen as I was completely underwhelmed at the price. In fact none of the Wadworth's beers have made my "buy again" list. I will try the Russian Stout soon. Nice to see Villa carrying the Young's. I had seen a couple of bottles of London Gold in the Villa Phrom Phong but can get it in my local Central. Certainly the best beer for value for money for me....it is a bonus that it serves up nicely chilled.

In my book, the best beers for value are Young's Special London Ale, bottle conditioned, 6.4% abv, great taste and at 169bht for 500ml, and Fuller's ESB (500ml), which is a legendary beer, at 159bht at Tesco. Murphy's Stout at 105bht for 500ml is good value too. Old Golden Hen (500ml) from Morland's at 145bht is below the magic 150bht limit. So was the canned Bombardier.

I recently had Brain's SA Smooth (brewery from Wales) on tap in Phuket at 160bht (not even happy hour)

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting and useful collection of latest BKK beer news in the new version of BK mag online:

http://bk.asia-city.com/restaurants/news/17-reasons-drink-beer-bangkok-october

Great! Thanks for this. Sadly, with Thailand's current beer and brewery laws, there will never be a good selection of beer here compared to other countries. I guess the junta, who does not seem to like alcohol, will probably not do anything to change these tragic laws and regulations.

BBP, I guess it depends on whether you see your beer glass as half full, or half empty. tongue.png

From where I sit, I'm not comparing our circumstances with the marketplace in other countries. But rather, with how the availability is here now of non-Thai brews, and good non-Thai brews, compared to what it's been in the past.

As far as I can tell, there probably is a bigger and broader selection of imported beers available in Thailand right now than probably at any point in the past. The progress just in the past 5 years ago is pretty remarkable, compared to where we were.

At least, that's the way it looks from my bar stool.

STOP THE PRESS

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CRAFT/1443149292637638

Seriously check this out!

Just be advised - the map location in the announcement is wrong - off by maybe 200 meters. This "pop-up" is actually located in the parking lot of the Giusto Italian Restaurant, which is actually on the southeast corner of the "T" intersection where Soi 23 also splits off toward Glow, and what used to be the Narcissus Club ( now called "Narz").

Pretty much opposite "The Clubhouse Bar & Grill" - and slightly closer to Sukhumvit.

MS

Edited by maisodni

BBP, I guess it depends on whether you see your beer glass as half full, or half empty. tongue.png

From where I sit, I'm not comparing our circumstances with the marketplace in other countries. But rather, with how the availability is here now of non-Thai brews, and good non-Thai brews, compared to what it's been in the past.

As far as I can tell, there probably is a bigger and broader selection of imported beers available in Thailand right now than probably at any point in the past. The progress just in the past 5 years ago is pretty remarkable, compared to where we were.

At least, that's the way it looks from my bar stool.

You are right. It's way better than it was two years ago. I could not find a single British beer in any supermarket in Phuket two years ago. That has changed dramatically for the better. But with a beer and brewery reform, things would be way better than it is now.

• 1 month later...

I visit my local brewery every week for free samples.

http://www.rebellionbeer.co.uk/

They sell fresh Ale that lasts only 7 days, no chemicals or preservatives, the IPA is absolutely amazing. I have often talked to the wifey about moving to Maha Sarakham when we retire but I will miss this. I think it's going to be 6 months in LOS and 6 months in Blighty. I am glad there are some real ale enthusiasts on the forum that can direct /advise me on the best real ales.

Edited by MahasarakhamMitch

I visit my local brewery every week for free samples.

http://www.rebellionbeer.co.uk/

They sell fresh Ale that lasts only 7 days, no chemicals or preservatives, the IPA is absolutely amazing. I have often talked to the wifey about moving to Maha Sarakham when we retire but I will miss this. I think it's going to be 6 months in LOS and 6 months in Blighty. I am glad there are some real ale enthusiasts on the forum that can direct /advise me on the best real ales.

no FREE samples in thailandsad.png just prices tooooo make you weep.laugh.png

Noticed on my recent visits to Villa and Big C in central BKK that they're now stocking Kingdom beers from Cambodia... both Dunkel and Pilsener... at 79b per bottle -- I'd guess, more than double what the same beer sells for in Cambo. Ahh... I see a similar Kingdom bottle was going for $1.10 last time I was there a couple years ago. Still, nice to see and drink here.

post-58284-0-07874600-1416136961_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Noticed on my recent visits to Villa and Big C in central BKK that they're now stocking Kingdom beers from Cambodia... both Dunkel and Pilsener... at 79b per bottle -- I'd guess, more than double what the same beer sells for in Cambo. Ahh... I see a similar Kingdom bottle was going for $1.10 last time I was there a couple years ago. Still, nice to see and drink here.

Kingdom Dunkel and Pinsener-79b-Villa & Big C.jpg

It's better than beer Lao.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while guys. Been waiting for some British Beer news. I have just been notified that Wishbeer now have some McEwan's beers coming in. That I remember (a long time ago) this is not one of my "go to" brewers but I am willing to give it a go to see if I have changed my mind. Interesting that it is another Wells and Youngs brewery. Quite a lot coming from that direction I noticed.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't tried the Courage Director's because I always had a poor opinion of Courage as the "bog standard" brewery as I grew up (near Staines where they were based so LOTS of Courage pubs). I'll give it another try if you are likening this to Bombardier which is my "go to" beer when I just want "a beer" in Thailand.

I have just been to Friendship here in Pattaya and to my surprise , not only is my favourite beer back , Wells Waggle dance, but also they started selling a new brand here, McEwan's .

And they got 3 types in stock, Amber, IPA and Signature. All priced at 144 baht. Will try it soon - maybe better hurry before they're sold out.

20141227_153935.jpg

I have just been to Friendship here in Pattaya and to my surprise , not only is my favourite beer back , Wells Waggle dance, but also they started selling a new brand here, McEwan's .

And they got 3 types in stock, Amber, IPA and Signature. All priced at 144 baht. Will try it soon - maybe better hurry before they're sold out.

20141227_153935.jpg

Feedback much appreciated on the McEwans.

I read some really bad reviews on this beer from McEwans. If you want to try I think Signature is the best of them. But will find out next time . I have stocked up with Wells Waggle dance for the next days.....