British Real Ale Lovers - Happy Christmas from Villa Market

draftvader

Good thing this forum allows freedom of choice/opinions. That is what makes life interesting, is it not? Would you like everyone to nod their heads in agreement with every OP on TV?

For one to simply say that British Ale is not as good as Leo........ I think many would agree.

However, my main point was only to say that it should not be priced higher than Leo.

For those who enjoy...go for it. However, I maintain 29 baht is too pricy for British Ale....let alone the prices described earlier.

Perhaps a case would be.

This thread is about ale, not beer in general, so why do you bother to post here if you do not like it? BTW I have paid over 200

baht for a small bottle (12oz) of some american pale ales and IPAs, and while it is expensive (like all imported drinks and food)

I think it is worth it sometimes...

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what???

Not worth even 29 baht, in my opinion.

odious

Another random post of weirdness. Please can you explain yourself. This thread has been a pleasant exchange of information, views and advice on real ale and craft beers. We have managed to go 5 months without fighting, arguing or being aggressive. We would like it to stay that way. What is your post referring to?

Oh..

well...you took it the wrong way. I do not see where I was agressive, fighting or arguing. Just stating my reasons why British Ale should be priced lower. It is in the same category as Leo or Chang. (which I prefer).

chill...

Thank you for coming back and clarifying. Sadly your 1st post was a little too obtuse to be understood as intended. I thought I COULD take that meaning but it could also just have been a misplaced ranting. Now you have clarified I must say that I agree but only on the reasoning that I could enjoy more decent beer being that I can't actually drink Leo as I really like my beer to be beer not some association of chemicals that produces a fizzy alcoholic drink.

Seriously though why did you bother to post this in here? We're happily getting along, dealing with the price, and sharing positive opinions. Had you come in with a full post the first time it might not have put up my back (and at least 1 other poster's) rather than firing off a barely related comment that might have made sense at the beginning of the thread but on a subject that was put to bed back on page 1. We all agree it is too much but we also all agree that we're happy to pay it to have our choice.

Anyway, in sincerity, thank you for coming back and answering. Due respect for that.

Good thing this forum allows freedom of choice/opinions. That is what makes life interesting, is it not? Would you like everyone to nod their heads in agreement with every OP on TV?

For one to simply say that British Ale is not as good as Leo........ I think many would agree.

However, my main point was only to say that it should not be priced higher than Leo.

For those who enjoy...go for it. However, I maintain 29 baht is too pricy for British Ale....let alone the prices described earlier.

Perhaps a case would be.

No offense but The number of breweries in the UK has topped 1,000 with each brewery making more than one ale. Pretty sure you haven't tasted a 100 not less a 1000 so to state that Leo is better and then go on to claim that you think many agree is laughable.

Where are you from by the way?

Guys. Please can we leave slipperlobster alone now. This could send this thread into a downward spiral and that would be a shame as I think it might be one of the longest standing "peaceful" threads on ThaiVisa. I only wanted clarity earlier as it felt a little directionless.

Why don't we all now list our favourite 3 beers EVER (doesn't matter if they are available here or not) to move this back onto enjoyable ground in time for the week-end:

Mine....in no particular order

1. Twickenham Fine Ales - Naked Ladies - Now bottled...but only in the UK :(

2. Oakham - CITRA - We all have a soft spot for this classic. There is a slight chance that this might turn up here as Oakham's CITRA is re-badged as M&S own brand ale in the UK. You never know they might just arrive on the shelves of M&S here if the buyers hand just slips a touch on the next order form.

3. Odell Brewery Company - St Lupulin - I know a US craft beer but this one is SO special....it really is just THAT good

Right, expecting BestBitterPhuket to be in quickly but Isaanben appears active this afternoon....or will it be Morakot? Maybe even Slipperylobster.....seriously, why not? Join in slipperylobster

what???

Not worth even 29 baht, in my opinion.

odious

Another random post of weirdness. Please can you explain yourself. This thread has been a pleasant exchange of information, views and advice on real ale and craft beers. We have managed to go 5 months without fighting, arguing or being aggressive. We would like it to stay that way. What is your post referring to?

Oh..

well...you took it the wrong way. I do not see where I was agressive, fighting or arguing. Just stating my reasons why British Ale should be priced lower. It is in the same category as Leo or Chang. (which I prefer).

chill...

Thank you for coming back and clarifying. Sadly your 1st post was a little too obtuse to be understood as intended. I thought I COULD take that meaning but it could also just have been a misplaced ranting. Now you have clarified I must say that I agree but only on the reasoning that I could enjoy more decent beer being that I can't actually drink Leo as I really like my beer to be beer not some association of chemicals that produces a fizzy alcoholic drink.

Seriously though why did you bother to post this in here? We're happily getting along, dealing with the price, and sharing positive opinions. Had you come in with a full post the first time it might not have put up my back (and at least 1 other poster's) rather than firing off a barely related comment that might have made sense at the beginning of the thread but on a subject that was put to bed back on page 1. We all agree it is too much but we also all agree that we're happy to pay it to have our choice.

Anyway, in sincerity, thank you for coming back and answering. Due respect for that.

and you are welcome...

Guys. Please can we leave slipperlobster alone now. This could send this thread into a downward spiral and that would be a shame as I think it might be one of the longest standing "peaceful" threads on ThaiVisa. I only wanted clarity earlier as it felt a little directionless.

Why don't we all now list our favourite 3 beers EVER (doesn't matter if they are available here or not) to move this back onto enjoyable ground in time for the week-end:

Mine....in no particular order

1. Twickenham Fine Ales - Naked Ladies - Now bottled...but only in the UK sad.png

2. Oakham - CITRA - We all have a soft spot for this classic. There is a slight chance that this might turn up here as Oakham's CITRA is re-badged as M&S own brand ale in the UK. You never know they might just arrive on the shelves of M&S here if the buyers hand just slips a touch on the next order form.

3. Odell Brewery Company - St Lupulin - I know a US craft beer but this one is SO special....it really is just THAT good

Right, expecting BestBitterPhuket to be in quickly but Isaanben appears active this afternoon....or will it be Morakot? Maybe even Slipperylobster.....seriously, why not? Join in slipperylobster

Leo ...

Ok....here is a good list...

Worldwide, more people are drinking a beer called "Snow" in China. Based on Sales, that is number 1 in the world...although few of us tried it.

The good list is...

http://listcrux.com/top-10-best-beers-in-the-world/

of Course, Coors is the top seller....

Molson is a close second (My preference).. Molson Ale was not bad at all.

There is one in there from England, but I never heard of it, nor tasted it.

Worldwide, more people are drinking a beer called "Snow" in China. Based on Sales, that is number 1 in the world...although few of us tried it.

The good list is...

Well, that is an opinion. Seriously though if you can't add anything constructive to a thread with "British Real Ale" in the title then please find or start a thread called "Lagers of the world" or something. It still feels like you just want to wind people up. We've heard your opinion, you must know that none of us are going to agree so please stop trying to upset a nice thread that you appear to have nothing to add to.

The good list is...

[/quote

Snow would be the most popular because of the amount of people in China I would imagine.

...and a Carling. Molson? Each to their own I guess?

Not to mention that Mexican Cat Piss coming in at number 4...

I'm currently back home in Australia and have been tasting some interesting craft beers over the last couple of days...

post-147583-13996433608212_thumb.jpg

Not too sure how best to describe this one, not sure if it wants to go down the lager/pilsner style (blonde) or the amber ale route... Probably leans more to the ale side as it's quite hoppy...

post-147583-13996434695214_thumb.jpg

Same brewery as the first, not sure what all this fire brewing is all about, as far as I can tell it's doing things very old school.

post-147583-13996435570783_thumb.jpg

Another pale ale, but could probably be tasted blind as an amber ale, very hoppy, but refreshingly clean.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have just received some of my furniture from singapore where it has been in storage for a long time, and guess what I (re)discovered. Michael Jackson's book about his favourite 500 Beers. I wish I could list them all!

Just naming 3 favourite British beers is an impossible task, and would only mirror the flavour of the day. Ask me again tomorrow and the answer is different. But let's try:

Theakston XXXB

Brains SA

Lia Fail

Dear Villa Market Purchase Manager,

If you read this, then please know that Villa Market in Chalong, Phuket has been out of Well's Waggle Dance for several weeks now. Please replenish the stocks ASAP. Thank you!

It's the same at Friendship market in Pattaya. And they told me their supplier stopped stocking it. Very strange. So I order it from wishbeer now.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you read this, then please know that Villa Market in Chalong, Phuket has been out of Well's Waggle Dance for several weeks now. Please replenish the stocks ASAP. Thank you!

It's the same at Friendship market in Pattaya. And they told me their supplier stopped stocking it. Very strange. So I order it from wishbeer now.

Don't forget to try Fuller's Organic Honey Dew ale from Wishbeer!

I'll second that. It is my personal preference of the 2.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

..but only Waggle Dance made it into Michael Jackson's book of 500 beers ;)

However, my tastebuds seem to agree with yours, but they are both very good.

..but only Waggle Dance made it into Michael Jackson's book of 500 beers wink.png

I've fairly ruined my little image. I had never heard of that book. I knew that it couldn't be THAT Michael Jackson but the image of the "King of Pop" utilising his free-time between sound check and the performance to check out a couple of "local jars" is just too much fun. Sadly I've now looked it up.....oh well, I guess I'll just have to buy the book now!

I note that his book came out in the late 90s so maybe he never had the chance to try Fuller's offering? I can't find the history but I wasn't aware of it until recently....any ideas?

Just remember that "slipperylobster's" best of is by commercial volume, nothing to do with craftiness... Commercial volume is a <deleted> terrible way to judge the "best beer" because as we well know, craft beer is not a commercially brewed beer, hence is not included.

Note Samuel Adams, probably one of the founding pioneers of the craft movement is not mentioned. Which should speak volumes.

The day Coors <deleted> Light is the best beer in the world, Satan - representing Hell - will surely be picking up Gold at the Winter Olympics...

..but only Waggle Dance made it into Michael Jackson's book of 500 beers wink.png

I've fairly ruined my little image. I had never heard of that book. I knew that it couldn't be THAT Michael Jackson but the image of the "King of Pop" utilising his free-time between sound check and the performance to check out a couple of "local jars" is just too much fun. Sadly I've now looked it up.....oh well, I guess I'll just have to buy the book now!

I note that his book came out in the late 90s so maybe he never had the chance to try Fuller's offering? I can't find the history but I wasn't aware of it until recently....any ideas?

If you download a few beer podcasts, you will especially find that the American craft beer brewers are speaking about Michael Jackson as if he was divine. Many credit him of aiding the American craft beer movement just when it started. His movie "Beer Hunter" is a cult movie and an absolute must for any serious beer enthusiast. He was a whiskey guru too.

Some beers in his book are included, such as the lager Tsingtao from China, not because they are fantastic beers, but because they are good representatives of the style. The style is important when operating on the highest levels of the beer world.

Just remember that "slipperylobster's" best of is by commercial volume, nothing to do with craftiness... Commercial volume is a <deleted> terrible way to judge the "best beer" because as we well know, craft beer is not a commercially brewed beer, hence is not included.

Note Samuel Adams, probably one of the founding pioneers of the craft movement is not mentioned. Which should speak volumes.

The day Coors <deleted> Light is the best beer in the world, Satan - representing Hell - will surely be picking up Gold at the Winter Olympics...

There is a famous Belgian strong beer named Satan Gold, so who knows...

Unless you are in an Old English Pub, no Beer seems right to Me anymore.facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

I don't know. I sank a couple of Hooky Golds and some London Golds in this place the other week-end to celebrate my birthday and it seemed just fine (though I do understand the sentiment).

post-68756-0-25028800-1400127710_thumb.j

There is a famous Belgian strong beer named Satan Gold, so who knows...

Sam Adams is best known for their Boston "Lager," not ale.

I will ask for a few bottles of it with my next delivery .

I will ask for a few bottles of it with my next delivery .

Don't forget to post your thoughts here. Enjoy them.

I just tried the St Austell 1913 Cornish stout again. I have to say that this is probably my least favourite stout from any quality brewery. There is a distinct aftertaste that reminds me of the stronger dry stouts like the vile Guinness Foreign Extra, Lion Stout and Sam Smith's Imperial Stout. These stouts have a common flavour that I don't like and I don't quite know what causes this taste.

Archived