British Real Ale Lovers - Happy Christmas from Villa Market

draftvader

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just bought a couple of bottles if Sambrook's ales at Villa Market yesterday. I wish they could lower the price of those. At 236bht they are far to expensive compared to Well's and Young's beers costing 169bht. The Sambrook's are excellent! The Hook Norton ales are also slow moving, most likely due to the price, and I concerned that these will also be discontinued.

Exactly why I started this thread. We must spread the word and keep on buying. Sambrooks are stunning & Hooky Gold is perfect for this weather!!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I buy every week, so I am doing my duty :)

That said, I bought the last bottle if Wadworth Swordfish, which I have never tried before. It is a mix of pale ale and Pusser's rum! I can never believe it is good, but I will try. I have been avoiding that one until I saw the last bottle.

I haven't been enamored by Wadworth's yet. Just bought ESB, London Gold and Bombardier @ TOPS for my 40th next week. Going to add Hooky Gold, Proper Job & Wandle to that. Nice drinking :)

Looking forward to your feedback on the Swordfish!

That's a nice list right there! Did you buy the Bombardier can or bottle? I like both, but the bottle is really good and stronger.

Exactly why I started this thread. We must spread the word and keep on buying. Sambrooks are stunning & Hooky Gold is perfect for this weather!!

I buy every week, so I am doing my duty smile.png

That said, I bought the last bottle if Wadworth Swordfish, which I have never tried before. It is a mix of pale ale and Pusser's rum! I can never believe it is good, but I will try. I have been avoiding that one until I saw the last bottle.

I haven't been enamored by Wadworth's yet. Just bought ESB, London Gold and Bombardier @ TOPS for my 40th next week. Going to add Hooky Gold, Proper Job & Wandle to that. Nice drinking smile.png

Looking forward to your feedback on the Swordfish!

That's a nice list right there! Did you buy the Bombardier can or bottle? I like both, but the bottle is really good and stronger.

Bottle. More flavour and style (looks better)! Here's one you can't get in Thailand looking sexy in my garden!

post-68756-0-96740300-1398464954_thumb.j

Ale with cheddar? Extraordinary! ;)

I have a couple of Orkney Brewery Skull Splitters at home, hand carried from UK.

Today I had a dozen thai visitor to my house and I decided to give them a break from the usual singhas and Changs, so on the menu was Bombardier Burning Gold, Rogue Hazelnut nectar, Young's Chocolate Stout and my brother's home made Winter Warmer Ale (7.1%). The most popular was the Bombardier golden ale followed, surprisingly, by my brothers winter warmer. The stout was less popular.

Ale with cheddar? Extraordinary! ;)

I have a couple of Orkney Brewery Skull Splitters at home, hand carried from UK.

Today I had a dozen thai visitor to my house and I decided to give them a break from the usual singhas and Changs, so on the menu was Bombardier Burning Gold, Rogue Hazelnut nectar, Young's Chocolate Stout and my brother's home made Winter Warmer Ale (7.1%). The most popular was the Bombardier golden ale followed, surprisingly, by my brothers winter warmer. The stout was less popular.

You big softy!....I bet there were a few wobbly Thais after that session....

Serious! BK people, "Villa" is made for tourists exclusively. Go to the markets in any of the shopping centers for Intl food, to the Thai markets for daily (greens, goon, Gai or accessories like Garlic, Basil, Onions...etc.).

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Do you need your medication? This thread is about British Real Ales.

Try sinking a "chilled" Hooky Gold, Bombardier Burning Gold or Proper Job then get back to us.

Serious! BK people, "Villa" is made for tourists exclusively. Go to the markets in any of the shopping centers for Intl food, to the Thai markets for daily (greens, goon, Gai or accessories like Garlic, Basil, Onions...etc.).

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Dude, the threads about beer.. If we wanted vegetarian advice we'd hang out on the other side of the forum ;)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just come back from having a nice birthday lunch in Roadhouse BBQ. It wasn't really for the food, which was nice enough (not the greatest, but respectable value), it was for the draft beer (and they let my 2 year old daughter play the drums...she is SO made up right now!!). How nice is it to sink a high quality beer out of a tap in Thailand? I went for the Anderson Valley Hop Ottin which I think tastes slightly mellower on draft compared to bottled. Certainly one of my favourite US craft beers. Shame they don't have the Odell Brewing Company St Lupulin here....that is a world class brew! It was lovely to sink a chilled pint of true beer. Now I have a Hooky Gold "chilling" in the fridge with a bottle of Proper Job waiting to go in to know 10c off it for later.

What a happy 40th and I never expected I would be able to sink 3 truly world class beers in Thailand on this day! Thank you Thailand for getting it together. Wonder what the scene will be like 10 years from now? True Thai run micro-breweries offering a massive range of unique beers? Maybe their own style? Would be very cool.

HB draftvader!

Have you tired the Londoner Brew Pub on 33 Sukhumvit Rd? It has a microbrewery on site, brewing some pale ales.

Have meant to. It's a far cry from married fatherhood in Pak Kret so it might take some time ;)

Anderson Valley on tap is great! However, my last trip to Singapore was great too. Had St Austell Proper Job, Sambrook's Porter and Pump House Ale on tap.

The place is called Old Empire Gastrobar, on River Valley Road.

This is their current tap list in addition too many bottled beers.

Proper Job IPA
Sambrooks Pumphouse Pale Ale
Sambrooks Powerhouse Porter
Hitachino Nest Golden Pils...ner
Thatchers Green Goblin Cider
BrewDog Punk IPA
Stella Artois
Leffe Brune
Pater Lieven Blonde
Delirium Tremens
Batemans Orange Barley
Weihenstephan Hefeweizen

BestBitterPhuket, I didn't see this place mentioned but have you been to the Belgian Beer Café in the front of Graceland Resort in Patong Beach I went last year and they had a very good selection of mostly(as the name implies) Belgian beers on draft and in the bottle.

http://belgianbeercafe.com.tw/the-beer

This place is in Singapore. If you are there for a weekend, it is worth a visit together with a stop at Brewerkz.

Other than what I can find on wiki, what is the diference between Ale and Beer? Is the taste or bady different or the effects?

An answer from the best authority.

http://www.camra.org.uk/ABOUTALE

Enjoy your reading and don't hesitate to ask for advice if just starting out on your ale adventures and want some guidance.

The key difference between ales and "beers"

(Lagers), is the fermentation process and the used. Ales use a top fermenting yeast, while lagers/beers is fermenting on the bottom of the fermentation tank. The ale yeast leaves more malt behind and the ales are therefore sweeter. Lager yeast and other bottom fermenting beers have man after taste that resembles wine (without the hop bitterness)

what???

Not worth even 29 baht, in my opinion.

odious

Another random post of weirdness. Please can you explain yourself. This thread has been a pleasant exchange of information, views and advice on real ale and craft beers. We have managed to go 5 months without fighting, arguing or being aggressive. We would like it to stay that way. What is your post referring to?

The hops used are also particular for the English ales, but the hop bitterness and flavours don't separate an ale from a beer smile.png

Ah, the exact reason why I posted from the CAMRA site. The continual "is it, isn't it?" debate. With an increasing frequencies of the more fuller flavoured hops from the US being used in award winning British ales (Oakham's CITRA and St Austell's Proper Job as examples) it is becoming more difficult to define. CAMRA's definition was established some time ago when it was holding the fort for real ale. Now it has done that job and the revival is fully underway they have a different job in their definition and I doubt they want to exclude too much.

In fact I would be happier trying to classify the differences between milds, bitters, stouts, porters and the like as sub categories of "ale" than trying to classify "ale". Well done for trying though smile.png

A lot of the more "trendy" (i.e. gastro and family friendly) "real ale" pubs in England are now carrying US craft beers in bottles behind the bar too helping to extend this definition of "ale". My old local which, when I lived there, was renowned as a violent hell hole has now turned itself completely around and is one of the nicest pubs I know in West London. This website will make grown men weep and, very probably, book a direct flight to LHR and use a black cab to get there (just 20 minutes from LHR). http://www.thesussexarmstwickenham.co.uk/

I took my in-laws there last summer and they were very surprised and impressed. They aren't your usual in-laws either, they are very knowledgeable ale connoisseurs (known as "tickers"...though they don't tick....at least not physically!) having "studied" the art for a LONG (and dedicated) time. I have learned more about appreciating beer from those 2 than anywhere else. Not too shabby for in-laws!

simply put, English Ales are not to my liking at all. I am curious why anyone would pay that much.

some people like other brands, which are much better (in my opinion) and cost about 29 baht.

Not a flame post at all.

Leo is even better.

Glad you put IMO! Last statement should have you banned from this post.

Good thing this forum allows freedom of choice/opinions. That is what makes life interesting, is it not? Would you like everyone to nod their heads in agreement with every OP on TV?

For one to simply say that British Ale is not as good as Leo........ I think many would agree.

However, my main point was only to say that it should not be priced higher than Leo.

For those who enjoy...go for it. However, I maintain 29 baht is too pricy for British Ale....let alone the prices described earlier.

Perhaps a case would be.

what???

Not worth even 29 baht, in my opinion.

odious

Another random post of weirdness. Please can you explain yourself. This thread has been a pleasant exchange of information, views and advice on real ale and craft beers. We have managed to go 5 months without fighting, arguing or being aggressive. We would like it to stay that way. What is your post referring to?

Oh..

well...you took it the wrong way. I do not see where I was agressive, fighting or arguing. Just stating my reasons why British Ale should be priced lower. It is in the same category as Leo or Chang. (which I prefer).

chill...

Archived