British Real Ale Lovers - Happy Christmas from Villa Market

draftvader

I just tried the St Austell 1913 Cornish stout again. I have to say that this is probably my least favourite stout from any quality brewery. There is a distinct aftertaste that reminds me of the stronger dry stouts like the vile Guinness Foreign Extra, Lion Stout and Sam Smith's Imperial Stout. These stouts have a common flavour that I don't like and I don't quite know what causes this taste.

Thanks for feeding back. Have never tried this one but, then again, I have not been much of a stout drinker since my teenage years with Guinness (was lucky enough to date a Dubliner for a while). Maybe I should give it a go again but I heed your words!

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for coming back to Singapore all the time, but there are some beer news from the small island just in. DraftWader, Oakham ales are now available in Singapore. At the shop Brewers Craft (www.brewerscraft.com.sg) they now have Oakham ales.

This is what they have:

1. Bishops Farewell
  2. -Citra

3. -Green Devil IPA

4. -Inferno

5. -Jeffrey Hudson Bitter

6. -Scarlet Macaw

Sorry for coming back to Singapore all the time, but there are some beer news from the small island just in. DraftWader, Oakham ales are now available in Singapore. At the shop Brewers Craft (www.brewerscraft.com.sg) they now have Oakham ales.

This is what they have:

1. Bishops Farewell
  2. -Citra

3. -Green Devil IPA

4. -Inferno

6. -Scarlet Macaw

It's a pain that you live in Phuket or I'd ask you to bring some Oakham back for me. Think its probably time I visited my mate in SIN!

This is what they have:

1. Bishops Farewell
  2. -Citra

3. -Green Devil IPA

4. -Inferno

6. -Scarlet Macaw

Just spotted the Tiny Rebel Brewery on that list. Check out the Hadouken IPA!! It's got a LOT of character....

Just trying a beer flown in from UK today. Its a Hepworth Brewery's Sussex Golden Ale. It is bottle conditioned with an abv of 3.8%. I had never tried this beer before. Its good, but I prefer golden ales not to be bottle conditioned. For me, the bottle conditioning is better suited for darker and stronger beers. It works perfectly with Young's Special London Ale, but less well with Young's London Gold. It works very well with St Austell's Admiral Ale and Hook Norton's Flagship IPA.

I have another beer brought in as well, its brewed by St Austell for Marks & Spencer and its called Cornish Ale. Its also bottle conditioned and has an abv of 4.9%.

Just trying a beer flown in from UK today. Its a Hepworth Brewery's Sussex Golden Ale. It is bottle conditioned with an abv of 3.8%. I had never tried this beer before. Its good, but I prefer golden ales not to be bottle conditioned. For me, the bottle conditioning is better suited for darker and stronger beers. It works perfectly with Young's Special London Ale, but less well with Young's London Gold. It works very well with St Austell's Admiral Ale and Hook Norton's Flagship IPA.

I have another beer brought in as well, its brewed by St Austell for Marks & Spencer and its called Cornish Ale. Its also bottle conditioned and has an abv of 4.9%.

You're just teasing now! The M&S deal was brokered by realale.com The lads there are awesome and really know their stuff!

I was going to buy at M&S in Singapore, where they sell British food and plenty if alcohol, but among all the French and Italian wines, I could not find a single BRITISH beer. What a disgrace! Fortunately I got a few bottles directly from UK. The Cornish Ale from St Austell is one if the best I ever had. Simply stunning!

Best British beers I have found in Thailand are from Brodie's, Alpha State and Siren...

Dalston Black or Hackney Red are great on draught. But hard to come by.

Would love to see some Buxton, Beavertown or Kernel in Thailand!

Best British beers I have found in Thailand are from Brodie's, Alpha State and Siren...

Kernel would be nice for sure. Same question as BestBitterPhuket....where have you found the others in Thailand?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Kernel would be nice for sure. Same question as BestBitterPhuket....where have you found the others in Thailand?

Had them on draught at Mikkeller Bangkok. They will have a Siren Event on the 21st of June:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1417325931877097/

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Had them on draught at Mikkeller Bangkok. They will have a Siren Event on the 21st of June:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1417325931877097/

Did wonder! Thanks of the heads up!

I had an IPA from Baird brewery at Brew in Thong Lor. Excellent! Not english, but Japanese, but IPA is at least a British concept wink.png

British concept yes, however the new American IPA's have gone above and beyond the traditional.

Deschuttes IPA now available through Beervana; tell your local pub to order some!

I had an IPA from Baird brewery at Brew in Thong Lor. Excellent! Not english, but Japanese, but IPA is at least a British concept wink.png

British concept yes, however the new American IPA's have gone above and beyond the traditional.

Deschuttes IPA now available through Beervana; tell your local pub to order some!

A little incorrect there. The American's actually went back in time to resurrect the original flavours that were brewed out in Britain. If you take the time to try a few more modern British IPAs now you'll be pleasantly shocked as to how the British brewers have react to the US beer revolution. Healthy competition seems to be working across the pond and we're all richer for it.

Anyway, thank you for joining us. Keep bringing us any discoveries you find. Looking forward to more posts from you.

Never heard this one before "the sign of a good head – the proper consistency, color, height, duration – is to draw a face with your finger in the foam, before taking the first sip. If the face is still there, when the glass is drained and the liquid is gone – that’s seriously good foam.”

http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2014/05/scientist-crack-formula-for-perfect-pint/

Personally, I'd be annoyed if I had the "head" at the bottom of the glass, I mean, if I wanted a cappucino I'd have ordered a coffee :P

And if I was the editor of this article I certainly would have substituted the word "pint" for something much more gutter, just for giggles ;)

Never heard this one before "the sign of a good head – the proper consistency, color, height, duration – is to draw a face with your finger in the foam, before taking the first sip. If the face is still there, when the glass is drained and the liquid is gone – that’s seriously good foam.”

http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2014/05/scientist-crack-formula-for-perfect-pint/

Personally, I'd be annoyed if I had the "head" at the bottom of the glass, I mean, if I wanted a cappucino I'd have ordered a coffee tongue.png

And if I was the editor of this article I certainly would have substituted the word "pint" for something much more gutter, just for giggles wink.png

That just sounds horrendous. Is he sure he's not talking about Guiness and some Creams? I'm off to beerhawk to read their sommelier's notes again just to get over that description.

fyi, shopping tonight at Central Food Hall, CentralWorld in BKK...

Saw Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar bottles there for the first time I can recall, priced at 209b per. Just one row of bottles on the top shelf.

They also had a variety of other international odds and ends, including both the red and white varieties of Hitachino.

fyi, shopping tonight at Central Food Hall, CentralWorld in BKK...

Saw Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar bottles there for the first time I can recall, priced at 209b per. Just one row of bottles on the top shelf.

They also had a variety of other international odds and ends, including both the red and white varieties of Hitachino.

My fav! Nothing in Phuket. Not even Hitachino :(

I'm a bit perplexed by how they do the ordering and stocking of intl beers at Central.

At least at Central World, it seems to be a very odds and ends situation. They also had AV Boont Ale today, and some other worthwhile choices. But a lot of things seem to come and go, and then not ever stocked/appear again. It's almost like some monkey is throwing darts at a beer board for their ordering.

At CW, they do seem to regularly stock and maintain a few worthwhile intl things: Coopers, Chimay, Leffe and some others. There is a group of beers that seem to be reliably there, visit to visit.

But I guess I shouldn't complain too much,, as at least their dartboard finally landed on Rogue and AV. And they do seem to be maintaining a stock on Hitachino on my recent visits there. But Spitfire Ale seems to have disappeared.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I found Fullers London Pride at Tops Central Pattaya the other day so just wanted to try it , and I was positive surprised about the taste. In fact I think I will go back and buy more bottles , they only had a row of it in the store.

I was kind of thinking the same thing about the Hazelnut Brown Nectar. Not sure how long their supply will last, and whether it would ever be restocked again.

But I've never had it at home before, so I just got one bottle to try and see. I guess my frig isn't cold enough, because it seems I need to put my bottles in the freezer for a bit before serving, in order to get the right temperature comparable to what I'd get at a pub/restaurant.

Are they still selling the St Austell beers in Bangkok?

Got a trip to Bangkok this coming week, so might grab a few

Villa still seems to be stocking them near me.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was going to buy at M&S in Singapore, where they sell British food and plenty if alcohol, but among all the French and Italian wines, I could not find a single BRITISH beer. What a disgrace! Fortunately I got a few bottles directly from UK. The Cornish Ale from St Austell is one if the best I ever had. Simply stunning!

It is very good indeed I agree...but I prefer the Citra IPA from Cambridgeshire...also brewed for M&S. Much ligher and hoppier...perfect for hot weather I think.