British Real Ale Lovers - Happy Christmas from Villa Market

draftvader

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How's that price matching/beat offer from Wishbeer supposed to work, from the consumer end of things???

Really it is just nice to see. Nobody is fooled by B1 but it is entertaining and in the modern world of marketing that will win them some business back and that will force TOPS and Villa to re-evaluate and slowly we will see more competitive prices. So "No" it will make no difference to the consumer now but it is the start of leveling things out. Villa now need to evaluate their ranges and try to become more competitive. It's only been 7 months since I first saw the British beers in Villa and now we're seeing this. Yes, I'm pleased.

The email from Wishbeer said they'd reduced their prices to be more inline with the likes of Tops, Villa etc. No price beating by anything,..

Take the picture up thread as an example (Hitachino), looking at the Wishbeer website the price is the same - when taking into account VAT.

You'd obviously get a better price if you're buying a case i.e spending over ฿4,000 and getting 10% discount. But bottle for bottle, no dice.

But a lot of their other range has gone up about ฿10-20 a bottle...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The email from Wishbeer said they'd reduced their prices to be more inline with the likes of Tops, Villa etc. No price beating by anything,..

Take the picture up thread as an example (Hitachino), looking at the Wishbeer website the price is the same - when taking into account VAT.

You'd obviously get a better price if you're buying a case i.e spending over ฿4,000 and getting 10% discount. But bottle for bottle, no dice.

But a lot of their other range has gone up about ฿10-20 a bottle...

I should clarify my above post, the pricing increase I mentioned on wishbeer.com isn't related to the email that they sent out to customers.

You're still likely to get a better deal from wishbeer...

Fuller's and Well's 500ml bottles for 158bht before the 10% discount sounds like a very good deal to me. Cheapest here is Tesco selling London Pride and ESB for 159bht per bottle. Young's Double Choc Stout is 130bht before 10% which is much better than Villa's 139bht a bottle.

Going to spend 12 hours at Heathrow next week. Any good pubs inside or outside (nearby)?

Here is CAMRA's take on the pubs inside Heathrow - http://www.westmiddx-camra.org.uk/pubs/TW6.html

A little search has given me - http://oldenglishpub.co.uk/ which is very nearby. They seem to offer free transport to/from hotels...wonder whether that extends to the airport itself?

My tip is a little further afield but can be done using public transport (bus) from the transport hub with one bus. http://www.thesussexarmstwickenham.co.uk/ Let me know if you are interested and I will detail the transport route for you. If you were to venture there then you HAVE to eat at http://www.arthursonthegreen.co.uk/ This restaurant has a view of my old house and I used to eat there a LOT it is a Twickenham favourite and outrageously good value.

Surprise surprise! Villa Market is stocking up on British beers again. The Beer Kitchen range that had completely disappeared is back. Hock Norton's Hooky Gold, sold out months ago, is back. So is the fantastic Old Hooky. Even Wadworth 6X and Horizon are back. New stock of Sambrook's as well. I am happy! The only thing missing are the Bombardier cans. At 145bht it was a budget option :)

Spent a few hours in transit in London and managed to do a lot. I had the Meantime London Porter, Woodforde's Nelson's Revenge, Oakham Citra, St Austell's Cornish IPA and Sharp's Doom Bar......and London Pride of course.

Great beers!!!

Nice! Where did you go in the end? I bought a Polypin of Nelson's Revenge once, gorgeous stuff. The rest are all good too.

Its a Trade winds and Oakham Citra day....have a great weekend!

Trade Winds is great, but I wasn't sold on the Citra. I preferred the St Austell's Cornish IPA, but that's my taste.

Yesterday I bought Fuller's Golden Pride (8.5% abv), a bitter from Whitstable Bay, Crafty Dan Triple C and Brown Ale and Downton's brewery Dark Delight and a few American beers. Never tried any. Looking forward to the Fuller's beer in particular.

• 4 weeks later...

Timothy Taylor's Boltmaker was crowned the best beer in the country at the Great British Beer Festival in London. This year's silver medal went to Oakham Citra, from Peterborough, while the bronze award went to Salopian, Darwin's Origin from Shropshire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-28769152

Timothy Taylor's Boltmaker was crowned the best beer in the country at the Great British Beer Festival in London. This year's silver medal went to Oakham Citra, from Peterborough, while the bronze award went to Salopian, Darwin's Origin from Shropshire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-28769152

I missed the GBBF by 5 days. Tragic.

However, i do have a horrible confession to make. After drinking lots of bottled British beers over the last three years, when I had my first few cask ales again, I was missing the bottles and kegs! An exception was Exmoor Gold, which was very good. I think I would probably need a few weeks of drinking cask ales in order to regain my palate.

• 4 weeks later...

Small update. Bought the Andersen Valley Summer Solstice in Central Chidlom. A little sweet for my liking but still a quality beer. On another note my man Wichit at Chitbeer on Koh Kret is now doing a Pandan ale and a Crysanthenum ale. He is having a batch 100 party on September 20th. Check the Chitbeer FB page for more information.

Small update. Bought the Andersen Valley Summer Solstice in Central Chidlom. A little sweet for my liking but still a quality beer. On another note my man Wichit at Chitbeer on Koh Kret is now doing a Pandan ale and a Crysanthenum ale. He is having a batch 100 party on September 20th. Check the Chitbeer FB page for more information.

Damn! Haven't seen any American beers in Phuket supermarkets yet. The Japanese have arrived, and they are now selling three Hitachino beers, two wheat beers and the very interesting red rice ale (7.4% abv).

Has anyone spotted Well's IPA and the famous Courage's Director in the Bkk supermarkets?

Damn! Haven't seen any American beers in Phuket supermarkets yet. The Japanese have arrived, and they are now selling three Hitachino beers, two wheat beers and the very interesting red rice ale (7.4% abv).

Has anyone spotted Well's IPA and the famous Courage's Director in the Bkk supermarkets?

The Hitachino Hefeweizen is one the most refreshingly sessionable beers going around up here. I don't often rate Japanese beers, but hats off to this little chestnut. Bottle seems to just outdo tap (but that can be down to a number of things) in terms of taste profile but I would happily sit on that beer all night. The Red Rice Ale, I can take or leave, it was interesting to try it but I think the use of rice was quite evident and put me off.

The White Ale is also not too bad, sessionable, but not in the same league as the Hefeweizen. Haven't gotten to the Espresso Stout yet.

The Hitachino Hefeweizen is one the most refreshingly sessionable beers going around up here. I don't often rate Japanese beers, but hats off to this little chestnut. Bottle seems to just outdo tap (but that can be down to a number of things) in terms of taste profile but I would happily sit on that beer all night. The Red Rice Ale, I can take or leave, it was interesting to try it but I think the use of rice was quite evident and put me off.

The White Ale is also not too bad, sessionable, but not in the same league as the Hefeweizen. Haven't gotten to the Espresso Stout yet.

I felt the Rice ale was a touch sweet but was still interesting and I wouldn't reject it in the future. Still the Yona Yona is a country mile ahead of these...if you can get it!

Well, I don't know if the Yona Yona is available in Thailand, but I often used to buy it in Singapore. My favourite Hitachino beer is the Pale Ale, which I have had ion bottle and tap.

Yona's available here, Wishbeer carry it, I think either Villa or UFM Fuji Supermarket carries it as well. Isetan used to carry it but they weren't the last time I was there a month ago... A few restaurants around Thonglor and Suk 49 list it as well..

STOP THE PRESS

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CRAFT/1443149292637638

Seriously check this out!

Pretty sure that the boys from Beervana are behind this little venture, I could be wrong.

Looks good...

I think you're right. Apparently it is limited to a 6 month run??! Either a marketing stunt or a short lease. Either way....sounds VERY good!

I think you're right. Apparently it is limited to a 6 month run??! Either a marketing stunt or a short lease. Either way....sounds VERY good!

It's somewhat of a 'pop up' concept. Done right, these seem to do well here in BKK, given the abandon industrial shop house scene.

Archived