British Real Ale Lovers - Happy Christmas from Villa Market

draftvader

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

News flash! I bought two 500ml bottles if Well's Waggle Dance at 169bht yesterday. Christmas never stops! This is a 5% abv beer with honey.

I pay 148 thb for the same 500ml bottle at Friendship in Pattaya. , same with Wells Bombardier.

News flash! I bought two 500ml bottles if Well's Waggle Dance at 169bht yesterday. Christmas never stops! This is a 5% abv beer with honey.

Hiding sources now are you? ;)

Villa Market.

Visited Central today and got a major surprise! They were offering Young's London Gold (aka Kew Gold) and Well's Bombardier Burning Gold, none of which I have tasted before, but both were bought on the spot (of course). They are both "golden ales", competing with Hook Norton's Hooky Gold and Wadworth Golden at Villa and Morland's Old Golden Hen at Big C.

Just tried the Bombardier Burning Gold, and at 169bht for 500 ml bottle, it's quite good. I still prefer the Bombardier bitter though, but that's a matter of personal taste. More looking forward to Young's London Gold, which is bottle conditioned.

Yes. I saw Bombardier and some others for B160 in Central this week-end. To me it feels like the Eagle has finally landed in Thailand. Wonder what will be next?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I guess it's all a matter of taste, but personally I much prefer Fuller's ESB over Wells Bombardier bitter any day. It's not that Wells is so bad, it's just that Fuller's is so much better.

ESB is a special beer, it has won many awards and is the beer that started the new style, ESB, a strong bitter. It should be compared with the bottle version of the Bombardier, which is 5,2%. The can version is only 4.3% and it becomes a bit of apples and oranges. I also like the ESB better than the Bombardier, but I like the light 4.3% Bombardier as a session beer. It reminds me of the London Pride from Fuller's, even though I think London Pride is slightly better.

Yes. I saw Bombardier and some others for B160 in Central this week-end. To me it feels like the Eagle has finally landed in Thailand. Wonder what will be next?

Adnams beers perhaps. They are coming to singapore by slow boat and has just arrived.

I wonder which supermarket will be the first to pick up American craft beers.

I guess it's all a matter of taste, but personally I much prefer Fuller's ESB over Wells Bombardier bitter any day. It's not that Wells is so bad, it's just that Fuller's is so much better.

ESB is a special beer, it has won many awards and is the beer that started the new style, ESB, a strong bitter. It should be compared with the bottle version of the Bombardier, which is 5,2%. The can version is only 4.3% and it becomes a bit of apples and oranges. I also like the ESB better than the Bombardier, but I like the light 4.3% Bombardier as a session beer. It reminds me of the London Pride from Fuller's, even though I think London Pride is slightly better.

Yes, you're right definitely apples and oranges. The Wells Bombardier in a can exported to my part of Canada has an abv of 5.2% and the Fuller's ESB in a can at 5.9%. Sorry for the confusion.

I gave up session drinking in my early 30's, so whatever alcoholic content is in the one bottle or can I drink has to do me for that day.

Really sad news from Pattaya, Friendship sold out of Well's Waggle Dance and they told me they stopped selling it , no reasons given .

It was my favourite beer , will try to look for the bottles in other areas but I'm not optimistic.

Really sad news from Pattaya, Friendship sold out of Well's Waggle Dance and they told me they stopped selling it , no reasons given .

It was my favourite beer , will try to look for the bottles in other areas but I'm not optimistic.

Why would they stop selling a product that sells? Strange business. By the way, look for it at Villa Market. Some should have it. Alternative is to order it online at www.wishbeer.com. They also have Fuller's Honey Dew, which is similar to Waggle Dance. If you want to try a strong honey beer, you can get a bottle of Barbar beer at Wine Connection. It's not British though, but very good. It has an abv of 8%.

Why would they stop selling a product that sells? Strange business. By the way, look for it at Villa Market. Some should have it. Alternative is to order it online at www.wishbeer.com. They also have Fuller's Honey Dew, which is similar to Waggle Dance. If you want to try a strong honey beer, you can get a bottle of Barbar beer at Wine Connection. It's not British though, but very good. It has an abv of 8%.

Hey Balo. As BestBitterPhuket has said wishbeer.com should be able to help. If you are ordering I would make sure you split your Honey Beer requirement 50/50 between Wells and Fullers. For my 2penneth the Fuller Organic Honey Dew is a far better representation of the genre. However you may find different...either way, still fun trying :)

Thanks will try wishbeer but I have not given up hope yet in finding it here in Pattaya. I see that the price is 180 baht and free delivery when order over 2000 so thats not bad. So the price is a bit more expensive but still within my budget lol.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks will try wishbeer but I have not given up hope yet in finding it here in Pattaya. I see that the price is 180 baht and free delivery when order over 2000 so thats not bad. So the price is a bit more expensive but still within my budget lol.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you order is above 4,000bht, you get a 10% discount. If you like the Waggle Dance, YOU HAVE TO TRY Fuller's Organic Honey Dew ale as well.

Hiding sources now are you? wink.png

Villa Market.

Visited Central today and got a major surprise! They were offering Young's London Gold (aka Kew Gold) .........

------------------------------------

For those who aren't aware, Young's London Gold is a bottle conditioned beer. From Wells & Young's Brewing Company website:

"London Gold is available as a cask beer and also as a bottle conditioned beer.

The bottled conditioned variant is an unpasteurised, living beer, matured in the bottle for a fuller, more complex, multi-dimensional, fresher taste. With no artificial carbonation, the only fizz is the natural effervescence created by fermentation."

Another bottle conditioned beer available in Thailand (I've seen it at a couple of Top's Supermarkets in Bangkok and Chiang Mai} is Hoegaarden from Belgium. From the Hoegaarden website:

"Hoegaarden is brewed using natural ingredients – mineral spring water, unmalted wheat, barley malt, hops, yeast, coriander and Curaçao orange peel. Hoegaarden is unfiltered, giving the beer a soft body, a cloudy white appearance and thick, frothy head. It is bottle conditioned to produce natural carbonation. Hoegaarden is 4.9 percent alcohol by volume (ABV). "

I'm back in Canada from Thailand now, and I'm beginning to realize the huge discrepancy between the number of bottle conditioned beers available in Britain versus the numbers brewed in the U.S. CAMRA says they have over 500 bottle conditioned beers brewed in Britain, while someone in the U.S. provided a list and I counted only around fifty from that country. Here in Canada, the number is probably only a handful or so, mainly from Unibroue in Quebec which was bought out by the huge macro-brewer Sapporo in Japan a few years ago.

Hiding sources now are you? wink.png

Villa Market.

Visited Central today and got a major surprise! They were offering Young's London Gold (aka Kew Gold) .........

------------------------------------

For those who aren't aware, Young's London Gold is a bottle conditioned beer. From Wells & Young's Brewing Company website:

"London Gold is available as a cask beer and also as a bottle conditioned beer.

The bottled conditioned variant is an unpasteurised, living beer, matured in the bottle for a fuller, more complex, multi-dimensional, fresher taste. With no artificial carbonation, the only fizz is the natural effervescence created by fermentation."

Another bottle conditioned beer available in Thailand (I've seen it at a couple of Top's Supermarkets in Bangkok and Chiang Mai} is Hoegaarden from Belgium. From the Hoegaarden website:

"Hoegaarden is brewed using natural ingredients mineral spring water, unmalted wheat, barley malt, hops, yeast, coriander and Curaçao orange peel. Hoegaarden is unfiltered, giving the beer a soft body, a cloudy white appearance and thick, frothy head. It is bottle conditioned to produce natural carbonation. Hoegaarden is 4.9 percent alcohol by volume (ABV). "

I'm back in Canada from Thailand now, and I'm beginning to realize the huge discrepancy between the number of bottle conditioned beers available in Britain versus the numbers brewed in the U.S. CAMRA says they have over 500 bottle conditioned beers brewed in Britain, while someone in the U.S. provided a list and I counted only around fifty from that country. Here in Canada, the number is probably only a handful or so, mainly from Unibroue in Quebec which was bought out by the huge macro-brewer Sapporo in Japan a few years ago.

Let us know if you discover some gems in Canada whether Canadian or others. Should be plenty of British beers available.

Let us know if you discover some gems in Canada whether Canadian or others. Should be plenty of British beers available.

Well I picked up a bottle of Worthington's White Shield today at the liquor store. An IPA brewed in Burton-Upon-Trent. Some day I'll get around to trying it for the first time.

Not British but still great beer; Fatty's bar and diner now has beervana; lately they have had an oregon brand; forgot which but an ipa, a pale ale and a porter

At 200 per bottle its not a bad deal compared to the price elsewhere

He is back open next week

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not British but still great beer; Fatty's bar and diner now has beervana; lately they have had an oregon brand; forgot which but an ipa, a pale ale and a porter

At 200 per bottle its not a bad deal compared to the price elsewhere

He is back open next week

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sounds like Rogue. An awesome brewer!

Well I picked up a bottle of Worthington's White Shield today at the liquor store. An IPA brewed in Burton-Upon-Trent. Some day I'll get around to trying it for the first time.

That is a classic! You lucky one!

Here is an interesting beer if you're ever in Cambodia (or perhaps Myanmar where it's also brewed). I'm just after reading about it from The Pocket Beer Guide by Stephen Beaumont and Tim Webb.

ABC Stout (or perhaps it should be ABC Extra Stout).

From the book:

Cambodia Brewery (Heineken)

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Although Cambodia has it's first craft brewery, Kingdom Breweries of Phnom Penh, it's products are far too timid to be included here. However, the country enjoys a legacy from the 19th century trade in strong porters and stouts, of which the remorseless best is ABC Stout, thick, black, sweet and burnt with a dollop of liqourice, brewed to a stronger recipe than the Singapore original.

The authors give this beer three stars which means according to them, "highly impressive, worth seeking out".

Noticed at beeradvocate the Cambodian brew has an abv of 8% versus 7% in the Singapore version.

I have had this one a few times, while living in Singapore. It is similar to Guiness Foreign Extra and the Lion Stout from Sri Lanka. I find them all terrible, but some of them scores high among the American craft beer crowd at Beeradvocate.com (for some reason), while in Singapore they appeal to a crowd of old Chinese and Indian men on a low budget. Any upmarket bar or restaurant would never put those on the menu. That's the reputation it has, but I guess at the end of the day it's a matter of taste. Not as terrible as the infamous Baron's Strong Brew, which is a pale ale or lager and the bad flavours cannot be hidden in the roasted malts.

I just bought a couple of bottles if Sambrook's ales at Villa Market yesterday. I wish they could lower the price of those. At 236bht they are far to expensive compared to Well's and Young's beers costing 169bht. The Sambrook's are excellent! The Hook Norton ales are also slow moving, most likely due to the price, and I concerned that these will also be discontinued.

I just bought a couple of bottles if Sambrook's ales at Villa Market yesterday. I wish they could lower the price of those. At 236bht they are far to expensive compared to Well's and Young's beers costing 169bht. The Sambrook's are excellent! The Hook Norton ales are also slow moving, most likely due to the price, and I concerned that these will also be discontinued.

Exactly why I started this thread. We must spread the word and keep on buying. Sambrooks are stunning & Hooky Gold is perfect for this weather!!

Exactly why I started this thread. We must spread the word and keep on buying. Sambrooks are stunning & Hooky Gold is perfect for this weather!!

I buy every week, so I am doing my duty :)

That said, I bought the last bottle if Wadworth Swordfish, which I have never tried before. It is a mix of pale ale and Pusser's rum! I can never believe it is good, but I will try. I have been avoiding that one until I saw the last bottle.

I buy every week, so I am doing my duty :)

That said, I bought the last bottle if Wadworth Swordfish, which I have never tried before. It is a mix of pale ale and Pusser's rum! I can never believe it is good, but I will try. I have been avoiding that one until I saw the last bottle.

I haven't been enamored by Wadworth's yet. Just bought ESB, London Gold and Bombardier @ TOPS for my 40th next week. Going to add Hooky Gold, Proper Job & Wandle to that. Nice drinking :)

Looking forward to your feedback on the Swordfish!

Archived