British Real Ale Lovers - Happy Christmas from Villa Market

draftvader

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aussie friend of mine in Singapore has passed on the details of a Singapore micro-brewery that's got it going on.

http://www.junglebeer.com/our-beers/

He recommends the Singlish Ale. Going to bring me back a couple of bottles on his next trip back to BKK....can't wait!

Reading a few reviews and their Kiasu Stout also looks interesting.

My mate is actually home-brewing in Singapore so he has learned a fair amount. He's very impressed with them and says they are really keen to share their knowledge. Spot on brewery!

Yes I noticed them too. Love the Yona Yona so am curious. Probably make my 40th birthday list (April 30th)!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yona Yona is Japanese, but unfortunately not from Hitachino.

No, but my first impression of Japanese ale was positive so I want to try more.

But Bottled Ale is not real ale , that has to be fresh ,, bottled ale never tastes the same as hand drawn real ale , it always taints the taste when bottled .

Beggars really can't be choosers when it comes to ale and Thailand.

But Bottled Ale is not real ale , that has to be fresh ,, bottled ale never tastes the same as hand drawn real ale , it always taints the taste when bottled .

You are correct Sir, but we are trying to keep our spirits up and will continue to use the term real ale, albeit in deliberate error.

Yona has it over Hitachino for me but I'm not a fan of drinking beer out of a can.

Even if the boffins say that cans are better.

Try this experiment:

Buy one bottle of Heineken or Leo and a can of the same. Leave them for a day or two or a week in the window where the sun shines the most. Put them back in the fridge to chill down, and then taste. It will be an eye opener.

Yona has it over Hitachino for me but I'm not a fan of drinking beer out of a can.

Try this experiment:

Buy one bottle of Heineken or Leo and a can of the same. Leave them for a day or two or a week in the window where the sun shines the most. Put them back in the fridge to chill down, and then taste. It will be an eye opener.

Great idea but then I'd have to drink Heineken or Leo.

Try this experiment:

Yeah that's my biggest fear, having to drink Heineken! :P

BBP, can you just tell us what your experiment resulted in? ;) I'll take your word for it... Honest! :D

Try this experiment:

Yeah that's my biggest fear, having to drink Heineken! tongue.png

BBP, can you just tell us what your experiment resulted in? wink.png I'll take your word for it... Honest! biggrin.png

leaving bottled beer in the sun will turn it skunky after a period of time. Especially the clear bottles like heineken.

No villa market here in chiang mai. Anyone know where these beers are available in chiang mai?

No villa market here in chiang mai. Anyone know where these beers are available in chiang mai?

As mentioned above, I found a few British and European continental craft beers in Tops supermarket when I was in Chiang Mai.

More news from Villa Market! Just got back to Phuket and discovered that Villa has added two more British beers. The excellent Young's Special London Ale and Well's Bombardier in a bottle. The bottle has an abv of 5.2% while the can has 4.3#. I have never tried the "strong" version of Bonbardier before.

leaving bottled beer in the sun will turn it skunky after a period of time. Especially the clear bottles like heineken.

Heineken a clear bottle? Seems you've been leaving them out in the sun for too long if they're going clear :P

More news from Villa Market! Just got back to Phuket and discovered that Villa has added two more British beers. The excellent Young's Special London Ale and Well's Bombardier in a bottle. The bottle has an abv of 5.2% while the can has 4.3#. I have never tried the "strong" version of Bonbardier before.

I tried the Young at Christmas and it wasn't my cup of tea. Bombardier @ B236? Wishbeer has it for less @ B180. It is a nice "all round" beer but @ B236 I would bypass it for St Austell, Hook Norton and Sambrooke.

Wells Bombardier imported in 500 ml. cans into Canada has an ABV of 5.5%. Price over there is $2.30 CAD which at today's currency conversion rate is equivalent to about 68 THB.

Heineken a clear bottle? Seems you've been leaving them out in the sun for too long if they're going clear tongue.png

They are green colored but I can see through them pretty easy so i said clear.

You are correct Sir, but we are trying to keep our spirits up and will continue to use the term real ale, albeit in deliberate error.

Whether brewed by hand or in a vat, what makes ale ale is the type of yeast used and the temperature it ferments at (room temperature).

Granted, cask ale is something truly special, but bottled ale is still ale.

I tried the Young at Christmas and it wasn't my cup of tea. Bombardier @ B236? Wishbeer has it for less @ B180. It is a nice "all round" beer but @ B236 I would bypass it for St Austell, Hook Norton and Sambrooke.

Is the bottled Bombardier 236bht? The canned one is 145bht. That's a significant difference.

Whether brewed by hand or in a vat, what makes ale ale is the type of yeast used and the temperature it ferments at (room temperature).

Granted, cask ale is something truly special, but bottled ale is still ale.

The heroic snobs from CAMRA agrees with you, because you didn't use the holy word "real".

I don't know where people get the idea that a beer has to be poured from the cask to be great tasting. Some craft brews are unfiltered, unpasteurised, and undergo a secondary fermentation in the bottle. Schneider Weisse Aventinus Tap 6 from Germany is one of them. Look it up. It took me three or four tries to start to like this beer, and now I just love having a bottle every so often.

I still drink lager (dead beer), but I much prefer the varying tastes of craft brews. As for CAMRA it was a friend who was a member of that organization who introduced me to real ale back in the late 70's when I was living in Britain for a few years. I'd hate to think what would have become of the British brewing scene without CAMRA.

Micro-breweries really got started in Canada and the U.S. only about three decades ago, so it's all pretty recent. The selection for both locals and imports slowly gets better year by year.

Still waiting for the craft beer scene in Thailand to explode with small local breweries, but see nothing much on the horizon yet to get me excited.

I don't know where people get the idea that a beer has to be poured from the cask to be great tasting. Some craft brews are unfiltered, unpasteurised, and undergo a secondary fermentation in the bottle. Schneider Weisse Aventinus Tap 6 from Germany is one of them. Look it up. It took me three or four tries to start to like this beer, and now I just love having a bottle every so often.

I still drink lager (dead beer), but I much prefer the varying tastes of craft brews. As for CAMRA it was a friend who was a member of that organization who introduced me to real ale back in the late 70's when I was living in Britain for a few years. I'd hate to think what would have become of the British brewing scene without CAMRA.

Micro-breweries really got started in Canada and the U.S. only about three decades ago, so it's all pretty recent. The selection for both locals and imports slowly gets better year by year.

Still waiting for the craft beer scene in Thailand to explode with small local breweries, but see nothing much on the horizon yet to get me excited.

Hand pumped ale in it's prime age, is the purest form of beer in my opinion. BUT its a doubled edged sword, as a cask ale can go bad very quickly and pubs with low turnover may be tempted to serve awful beer from the cask.

Don't forget to drop in on Chit Beer if you are ever on Koh Kret. His beer still has a long way to come but he has passion, is open to feedback and makes meticulous notes on each batch. Sweet as bloke too.

https://www.facebook.com/Chitbeer

Archived