Teachers forcing Christmas on Thai children

loong

Chirstmas is what it is: a christian celebration. It should be left out of the schools and left to the parents to teach religion to their children, as they wish.

If I had a child, and the school were forcing a gift exchange as a celebration of a christian holiday, christmas, I would move my child to another school.

Christmas can be a religious celebration but it can also be a secular celebration which is what it normally is in Thailand. Christmas originates from the pagan 'Saturnalia' celebrations which was then hijacked by Christians, I'm an Atheist yet still celebrate Christmas.

Edited by pastafarian

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange post, indeed. Our kids exchange presents, which are not more than 100 baht worth.

Beside that, we'd to make a lot of Christmas bs and I'm Buddhist too.

Isn't that a sort of "learning process" to understand other cultures?- Amen.-wai2.gif

I see no problem here. I am a teacher and I personally do not celebrate christmas but it doesn't mean I'd wish rain one somebody else's parade. An American teacher in my school buys and cooks food for 60 students and throws a party for them and no one is complaining.

If the OP sees it fit that Thai students should not participate in such a celebration, then foreigners should not join Thai celebrations particularly Songkran where foreigners go wild.

Today to a class of 8 year olds I sang "Jingle Bells" in an offkey falsetto. BOY DID THEY LAUGH.

Later I set a 5,000 word essay for an older student on the subject "Jesus was a Buddhist - discuss" - as after all he sure as hell wasn't a Judaist, Hellene or Zoroastrian (the latter myth being added later by those awful apostle revisionists (interesting BBC documentary on youtube about this plausible theory)). BOY DID SHE LAUGH.

To a ladyboy Tesco employee dressed skimpily as Santa who offered me a free candy and a "Merry Christmas" I said "nothanks but happy Jingle Balls". BOY DID SHE LAUGH.

Thais seem to like to laugh more than us, even at Xmas?

Today to a class of 8 year olds I sang "Jingle Bells" in an offkey falsetto. BOY DID THEY LAUGH.

Later I set a 5,000 word essay for an older student on the subject "Jesus was a Buddhist - discuss" - as after all he sure as hell wasn't a Judaist, Hellene or Zoroastrian (the latter myth being added later by those awful apostle revisionists (interesting BBC documentary on youtube about this plausible theory)). BOY DID SHE LAUGH.

To a ladyboy Tesco employee dressed skimpily as Santa who offered me a free candy and a "Merry Christmas" I said "nothanks but happy Jingle Balls". BOY DID SHE LAUGH.

Thais seem to like to laugh more than us, even at Xmas?

Early Christians WERE Jews either ethnically or by conversion. Christianity separated from Judaism LATER.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Christianity

Anyway, get real, "Thai Christmas" has NOTHING to do with Jesus Christ except for the small minority of Thai Christians.

Edited by Jingthing

Usually there's a message sent home for the parents about a gift exchange, and the limit to spend is no less than 200 baht. Thai's celebrate farang New Years also. If you don't want your child to participate, don't send them to school on that day. Subject Closed.

Usually there's a message sent home for the parents about a gift exchange, and the limit to spend is no less than 200 baht. Thai's celebrate farang New Years also. If you don't want your child to participate, don't send them to school on that day. Subject Closed.

Subject closed? crazy.gif

Asking students to participate in a gift exchange is forcing culture?

That is just a continuation of the western destruction of Thai culture. Yes giving gifts is OK but when you do it only once a year based on a religious holiday that they know nothing about and are not interested in is wrong.

If it is because it is a nice thing to do do it on June 25 when there is no holiday involved.

Some how I think thaat people will not bother with that because it is not Christmas.sad.png

That is just a continuation of the western destruction of Thai culture. Yes giving gifts is OK but when you do it only once a year based on a religious holiday that they know nothing about and are not interested in is wrong.

If it is because it is a nice thing to do do it on June 25 when there is no holiday involved.

Some how I think thaat people will not bother with that because it is not Christmas.sad.png

Yes i agree,It is the end of western culture in my home country where there are loads of Thai buddhist tempels,Thai language courses and Thai cooking classes and Thai shops and Thailand clubs having song kran and loy kratong and having a yearly i love Thailand party on a big square in Antwerpen how dear those people who try to convert my country to Thainess....its the end of civilisation as we know it .(sarcasm intended)

You really must be a blast to live with.

Edited by Kudel
  • Like 1

Anyone who thinks organizing a secret Santa for school kids knows nothing about Christmas in the western

commercialized world. Just a little fun for the kids. Relax, quit trying to stir the pot in an overly PC world. coffee1.gif

Edited by Ulic
  • Like 2

Op reminds me of the classic film "Christmas Carol" I am having a hard time seeing this a forced issue. Take away the religion aspect and Christmas becomes a act of giving and spreading joy.

Ooooh How terrible! Force the children in the act of giving. Come on OP have a swill! Merry Christmas to you!

You dont think it is good to learn other cultures? My God why? I guess you want Thailand to be back when there was a dictator just like suthep ants now. 99% of the children I know love the idea of Christmas and enjoy the act of giving. But i gues you cant understand that.

Most of the people in this village are very poor.

A lot of the parents are away cutting sugarcane in another province and the children are left in the care of their Grandparents. The children do not experience and enjoythe act of giving, they only experience receiving because the giving is done by their parents or Grandparents.

That would only be if the religious aspect of Christmas was brought into it. I think it can be celebrated without that, but even if it was, Buddhism doesn't have anything/much to fear from Christianity with all its ills.

I agree with the understanding and acceptance of different religions and cultures. I do, however, disagree with people being forced to accept and kow-tow to them. Most of my students are Buddhist ( I'm not, but my wife is), and the only time I (try) to explain another(s) religious belief, is when my students ask about it. So in regards to the OP, I think the teacher overstepped their position.

If you want to teach what it's about then great, but to impose a financial burden on others especially without warning is wrong.

How many are going to lose face when a gift can't be bought or when one's gift is far superior to another?

If you want to teach about the winter equinox, what stars represent the 3 wise men, what the sun being born again means

and all those in mythology that share the very same story, then great, I think they should know.

Let them know that santa is a representation of the priests that used to climb down the smoke holes in people's yurts

to leave mushrooms in stockings to dry near the fire. Let them know where it really came from, I don't have a problem with that at all.

I never knew that. My youngest has just realized that Santa is me.

One cure for that...tell the kid that Santa stops visiting kids that think that.

My Daughter still believes in Santa in her 30s.

• Like 1

Some how I think thaat people will not bother with that because it is not Christmas.sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

Wrong? On what basis is it wrong? According to your religion?

Edited by rijb