Teachers forcing Christmas on Thai children

loong

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My school has a party every year. The kids play some games, perform some dances, eat a lot of junk food and exchange presents. There is nothing religious about it, much like the holiday in the west anymore. I like the holiday because I get the week off. clap2.gif

• Like 1

Asking students to participate in a gift exchange is forcing culture?

Not any more than taking the kids regularly to the wat.

Personally i am a non believer type, but whatever, it doesnt bother me.

We indeed celebrate Xmas, as a day of many gifts for my son, and i never preach about the religious side...a fun family day, that is.

Wow children having fun at Christmas, I think we need to stamp that right out Mr. Humbug.

Agreed.

As an aside, I think the children could be better served by marching out to an orphanage and giving the gifts to kids who have nothing.

My sister made her kids join her as a volunteer at the local church Christmas dinner for the disadvantaged so that they would understand what poverty was. I objected at the time as I saw no need for the kids to mingle with those beneath their social class. Unfortunately, I was over ruled and those varmints picked up dangerous notions like compassion and respect for people no matter their status in life. Thankfully, Thailand, still is in line with my views especially when donors make a big show about giving a donation. Nothing encourages the poor and disadvantaged like a bit of public spectacle to encourage them to stop being poor or physically disabled.

• Like 1

This has got absolutely nothing to do forcing Christian culture on children!!

Thais like to celebrate anything!!thumbsup.gif Just think about their 3 new year celebrations!

Probably there is a price limit on the present, so relax and let the kids have a good time, and forget the political correctness for a day or two!!coffee1.gif

yes 3 out of 4 new years.....they leave one out.

This is a copy/paste of an email I got from an Isaan school teacher a couple of days ago.

Hi xxxxxx

Christmas will come, a school will have Christmas day for students, we are not christtians but we have to learn the culture of native English speaker.

Tomorrow I have to take 4 students to a competition at a temple in a town, it is question answer competition about Buddhism. :D

You have a nice weekend,

xxxx

so just cos YOU don't celebrate Christmas and the joy of giving gifts you expect everyone else not to?

Are you a follower of Islam or something?

the secret Santa is just a way of people interacting with each other, surely interaction is good for your children no?

So Christmas is the "joy of giving gifts" is it................

I'd send my kids with an empty shallow box representing "Christmas", hey its the thought that counts.

• Like 2

This is a copy/paste of an email I got from an Isaan school teacher a couple of days ago.

Hi xxxxxx

Christmas will come, a school will have Christmas day for students, we are not christtians but we have to learn the culture of native English speaker.

Tomorrow I have to take 4 students to a competition at a temple in a town, it is question answer competition about Buddhism. biggrin.png

You have a nice weekend,

xxxx

Yeah, it's tough living in a global community.

There are two reasonably distinct celebrations of Xmas. One is clearly religious, and I wouldn't want to impose that on anyone else.

The other is quite definitely a secular Xmas, and involves things like Santa, trees, decorations, and even the traditional carols.

As long as the Thai celebration is of the latter form of Xmas, I don't think it's an imposition at all.

I'm a confirmed atheist, but don't take offence if someone wishes me a Merry Xmas, or Happy Hannakuh, or Riotous Ramadan, or whatever. I might even wish them the same in return.

So, Merry Xmas (secular) to everyone here.

• Like 2

Hi xxxxxx

Tomorrow I have to take 4 students to a competition at a temple in a town, it is question answer competition about Buddhism. biggrin.png

You have a nice weekend,

xxxx

Very flirty teacher. Lot's of kisses. Is he handsome?

There are two reasonably distinct celebrations of Xmas. One is clearly religious, and I wouldn't want to impose that on anyone else.

The other is quite definitely a secular Xmas, and involves things like Santa, trees, decorations, and even the traditional carols.

As long as the Thai celebration is of the latter form of Xmas, I don't think it's an imposition at all.

I'm a confirmed atheist, but don't take offence if someone wishes me a Merry Xmas, or Happy Hannakuh, or Riotous Ramadan, or whatever. I might even wish them the same in return.

So, Merry Xmas (secular) to everyone here.

Agree for the most part in what your saying but the basis of Christmas is religious the name of the holiday is kinda a give away "Christ" and incidently the holiday itself was stolen from one of the Roman pagan gods

Traditional carols are hardly secular, go and have a look at the words to silent night.....there is a verse relating to a virgin who is up the the duff LOL

I don't like that Thais seem to think if you have white skin that you are definitely Christian and definitely celebrating Christmas. Globalization -- it's a b. yatch.

As far as sharing the western culture, did that forced Christmas participation ever happen in your school in the west because it never happened in mine! So how is that sharing western culture? It's more like yet another DISTORTION of something, no interest in any deeper understanding is there?

Edited by Jingthing