Teachers forcing Christmas on Thai children

loong

It could be a lot worse, it could be a UK school that is too scared to make a big fuss out of Christmas in-case it offends the non-Christian minority!

It would be lovely if you could post some credible links to the UK schools that are too scared to make a big fuss out of Xmas.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be a lot worse, it could be a UK school that is too scared to make a big fuss out of Christmas in-case it offends the non-Christian minority!

It would be lovely if you could post some credible links to the UK schools that are too scared to make a big fuss out of Xmas.

Not hard..

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=uk+school+bans+christmas&oq=uk+school+bans+christmas&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64l2.7022j0j8&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

google search comes up with thousands!

• Like 1

Not hard..

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=uk+school+bans+christmas&oq=uk+school+bans+christmas&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64l2.7022j0j8&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

It would probably be a good idea to read some of those links before posting them as credible links. On the first page:

The first five links report a primary school in Kent where the headmistress has banned the pupils from talking about Xmas until December. She believes that if they start talking about it too early it loses its magic.

The sixth link reports a primary school in Rochdale where the school has asked the children to bring Xmas cards addressed to the whole class rather than individual cards because it causes loads of grief if some kids don't get one and get upset about it.

The seventh link reports a hoax which claims just what you say about schools banning Xmas and which turns out to be totally false.

The eight link is talking about Red Cross charity shops not schools.

The ninth link reports a school in Bingley where parents are asked not to take any children, apart from those taking part, to the Xmas show as they'd be too noisy and spoil the show.

The tenth link is about a school in Texas which I believe is in the USA.

There is not a single mention in any of those links (apart from the seventh which was a hoax anyway) about 'non-Christian minorities'

• Like 2

Not hard..

It would probably be a good idea to read some of those links before posting them as credible links. On the first page:

The first five links report a primary school in Kent where the headmistress has banned the pupils from talking about Xmas until December. She believes that if they start talking about it too early it loses its magic.

The sixth link reports a primary school in Rochdale where the school has asked the children to bring Xmas cards addressed to the whole class rather than individual cards because it causes loads of grief if some kids don't get one and get upset about it.

The seventh link reports a hoax which claims just what you say about schools banning Xmas and which turns out to be totally false.

The eight link is talking about Red Cross charity shops not schools.

The ninth link reports a school in Bingley where parents are asked not to take any children, apart from those taking part, to the Xmas show as they'd be too noisy and spoil the show.

The tenth link is about a school in Texas which I believe is in the USA.

There is not a single mention in any of those links (apart from the seventh which was a hoax anyway) about 'non-Christian minorities'

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-chris-allen/muslim-christmas-ban_b_4464410.html

• Like 1

My introduction to Asia was in the late 60s when I went to Singapore and the official Communist Chinese ran Mall there has speakers blaring out Christmas Carols everywhere and lots of Chrissie things for sale. Trade trumps politics and religeon every day.

Op reminds me of the classic film "Christmas Carol" I am having a hard time seeing this a forced issue. Take away the religion aspect and Christmas becomes a act of giving and spreading joy.

Ooooh How terrible! Force the children in the act of giving. Come on OP have a swill! Merry Christmas to you!

• Like 1

whistling.gif I've seen this happen before .... when a poor family simply did not have the money to buy a "present" for their child to take to school to give to another student.

They solved the problem by taking the student on a family trip .... which cost them less than the organized gift giving the teacher intended the whole class to join in.

Teachers need to be very careful to make such an activity to be a voluntary thing ... and not an organized class activity.

Teachers ..... that's why you should have taken that "cultural values" training.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Coming from the UK, which NOW probably has one of the most diverse cultures in the world, our children are taught different cultures and how they are celebrated. I think this is good from an education point as it opens the young mind to more than just one mindset. Letting a child experience another cultures way, for a few moments, can only stimulate and empower. As long as respect is always in the mind of the one's overseeing this then a good and much needed idea.

Sometimes it's the school administration that asks the teachers (particularly foreign teachers) to prepare activities for different festivals. That could be the case here. Santa's appeal to young kids is universal and is about as easy to ignore as it is to drive past a McDonald's without little pleading voices asking you to stop. That said the more we can do to preserve the Buddhist faith and traditions in Thailand the happier I'll be.

xmas is ok, good time for parties, except now the cops have roadblocks everywhere and want to stick dirty Breathalyzers in your face whether you have had a drink, no drink or too many drinks. I liked xmas when my kids were small, out of the mountains and down to the in-laws, early mornings rise and shine at 0 dark thirty (often with a hangover from the party the night before), son, daughter, nieces, nephews, wrapping paper everywhere, big smiles, laughter, and the Colonel's famous 'bloody Mary'. Nothing religious about it, the in-laws of Jewish decent, me of southern baptist and none of us ever entered the door of a religious facility or wanted to after we reached the age where the brain actually functioned.

A different aspect was when I was still a "two week millionaire" down in Pattaya. As best I remember the most 'fun' I ever had at xmas, especially after kids grown etc. Loved it.

We don't do xmas here, although I did get xmas cards this am from the wife and kids. Ah now New Year is a different story.

I like xmas here much more than I did in the states, even with the creeping commercialization. I don't see the nutty religion aspect of it here like it is back in the states. I just wish they would ban that damned Jingle Bells!

Happy Holidays to all except the right wing troglodyte fringe crowd, to you-BAH HUMBUG!

• Like 1

I have been celebrating christmas for more than 20 years since I was a little girl coz my dad's company has been doing business with american as partnership group...well, we celebrate it for fun and interaction with other people.....ppl get together , have high tea party and Xmas dinner sharing ideas, feeling and happiness .....after I got married with my husband who is a rock n roll Roman Catholic , we do it every year for fun instead of religious purpose ...and now my daughter is converted to catholic , I m still a not strong Buddhist ....we still do Xmas for fun and they never go to church,......celebrating foreign festive isnt forcing culture.......Thais ' tradition still exist and nobody can stop tradition....even though I v been raised in a western way and live my rest of life in this way, part of me is still Chinese .....don't be paranoid and hold no xenophobia, let 's just have some fun and stay cool...

• Like 1

Being non-religious I don't have a problem when kids have a party at school buying presents for each other.

Our son of 6 though was not very happy with the set of brown hand towels that he got for a present. It probably needs some explaining to Thai parents that kids fancy other things....

OMG, It's a great Holiday for the Kids. Every child should know about the Magic of

Santa, and gifts for good little boys and girls. Don't be such a Spoil Sport, I dont

believe the Teachers are Forcing anything, it's a way of spreading a little more Joy

and Peace to the Kids....."with the Program" Scrooge !!!!

OP - hey don't you stop in your local shopping mall?? - check out the xmas songs banging out the speakers, santas and trees everywhere

Now if you really have an issue with it, why not talk to them. biggrin.png

That's right, you really are not thinking this through loooong

I wonder what the original poster had in mind, when they posted it.......

Never been a problem, in many Asian countries I have been in.....

Wow, I guess it is the ideal of watching the children enjoy such a day.....

No one is forcing it on anyone,

When you give... Let them enjoy it....

Oh and am I forcing my beliefs when I make them pancakes for breakfast??????

Get over it....... I have never had a complaint in my years, of doing such things......

Guess I just enjoy the smiles on their faces, you were never young?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm blink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.png

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to teach what it's about then great, but to impose a financial burden on others especially without warning is wrong.

How many are going to lose face when a gift can't be bought or when one's gift is far superior to another?

If you want to teach about the winter equinox, what stars represent the 3 wise men, what the sun being born again means

and all those in mythology that share the very same story, then great, I think they should know.

Let them know that santa is a representation of the priests that used to climb down the smoke holes in people's yurts

to leave mushrooms in stockings to dry near the fire. Let them know where it really came from, I don't have a problem with that at all.

If you want to teach what it's about then great, but to impose a financial burden on others especially without warning is wrong.

How many are going to lose face when a gift can't be bought or when one's gift is far superior to another?

If you want to teach about the winter equinox, what stars represent the 3 wise men, what the sun being born again means

and all those in mythology that share the very same story, then great, I think they should know.

Let them know that santa is a representation of the priests that used to climb down the smoke holes in people's yurts

to leave mushrooms in stockings to dry near the fire. Let them know where it really came from, I don't have a problem with that at all.

I never knew that. My youngest has just realized that Santa is me.

Oh crimminy!!! Nobody was forcing anything, just having some fun. Children probably had a great time. No religious overtones...as Christmas started as a pagan holiday, devoid of religion....(The Santa/gift giving part).

Ancient traditions should be tought and, gift giving is just a way to do it.

Following taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas...

"Certain elements having origins in pre-Christian festivals that were celebrated around the winter solstice by pagan populations who were later converted to. These elements, including the Yule Log from Yule and gift giving from Saturnalia"