Why Do Some Thai Funerals Take Several Days ?

Chao Lao Beach

Many times I see them 'dragging' on for 3 - 7 days with the deceased persons body out the front of the house and each night there is a little gathering at that house.

I get that it gives more people a chance to pay respects, I have also been told by an expat friend that it gives more chances of the funeral turning a "profit" or gaining more donations form people paying their respects and it is encouraged by some temples as the monks get a donation each day they visit and chant.

My question, is, is 1 day still respectful ?

Is 3+ days more beneficial for the grieving or does it just drag it out and make it worse?

Do you really need the coffin at your house, or can it all be done at the temple?

I know, it may be a bizare subject, but I am trying to be educated on this subject, unfortunately this is something I have to learn about.

This is tradition, probably in the old days it took longer to get relatives to come over.

Now this is one tradition that I would not break with as it would be a huge problem. If it is for yourself that is ok but for a Thai its real important.

• Like 2

This is tradition, probably in the old days it took longer to get relatives to come over.

Now this is one tradition that I would not break with as it would be a huge problem. If it is for yourself that is ok but for a Thai its real important.

Agree. I have been to four funerals in my time in Thailand. Two in BKK and two in Isaan. In BKK the body always lied in state at a temple but always for 3 days. In Isaan the body stayed at the house and then moved to the temple on the 3rd day for cremation. Gambling all day and night took place at the Isaan funerals as police look the other way during this time. Agree that it is an opportunity to get donations for the grieving family and the local wat monks but also tradition to try and help the family through the grieving process.

In Tibet they believe that it takes 3 days for the spirit body to fully leave the old physical body, so that dispose of it on the third day. Perhaps similar beliefs exist in several Asian Countries, but now most people just don't know.

Certainly it does give distant relatives a chance to get to the funeral for the last important day...the cremation.

• Like 1

There might be some sorting out of distribution of minor belongings within the family. I knew an old lady in America who had a book at her house, and when you visited her, if you saw anything you would want in her house, you wrote it down in her book with your name, to be given to you on her passing. Not officially legal, but if the executor was willing, it was kind of a nice thing, I guess.

in some cases the deceased has made notice of which monks-temple and people he/she wants to see attend their funeral

It Takes time to gather the monks, the family and the higher in class the more people attend.

btw

Isaan funerals...in general....are of a different 'attitude' then the BKK and Southern funerals.

Important Thais don't invite 'strangers' and/or foreigners to their funeral and never get drunk and disorderly during ceremonies!!

When my dad passed away in Scotland, I was offshore Vietnam and it took me almost four days to get home. By the time I got there, the undertaker had done the needful but rather than have him lying in some anonymous funeral home, my mum and sister had his open coffin in the living room at home, facing the telly as he would have liked. It was great sitting and chatting with him there, together as a family. Played cards sometimes, laughed a bit, cried a bit more, drank a fair few beers and just let him watch the telly.

No Buddhists in our household either.... fancy that!

My wife's father passed away not long before we were married. He passed on a Saturday. He lay in state in the temple, in a refrigerated box until the following Sunday. When he was cremated,

there were over 700 people at the ceremony. Several days later the family went to a river ,went out in a boat and disposed of the ashes.

I do not know the name of the river as I had not been there before.

in some cases the deceased has made notice of which monks-temple and people he/she wants to see attend their funeral

It Takes time to gather the monks, the family and the higher in class the more people attend.

btw

Isaan funerals...in general....are of a different 'attitude' then the BKK and Southern funerals.

Important Thais don't invite 'strangers' and/or foreigners to their funeral and never get drunk and disorderly during ceremonies!!

I have been to plenty of funerals in the South of Thailand, including 2 brothers in law. I have also been invited to innumerable funerals where I was not part of the family. Cards and the consumption of copious amounts of alcohol were always the norm. A good night out.

Where I live it is normally 3 days, but longer if it is a very important person. This is a quote for a explanation of Buddhist mournig that I came across:

"As along as the body is present the spirit can benefit by the gifts presented, the sermons preached and the chants uttered before it. This thought lies behind the use of the bhusa yhong ribbon which extends from the body within the coffin to the chanting monks before it. The dead may thus have contact with the holy sutras. When the body is cremated the spirit is more definitely cut off from the world, it is best therefore not to force that spirit to enter the preta world finally and irrevocably until it has had the benefit of a number of religious services designed to improve its status. "

My wife says that it's just another reason to have a party, and when I kick the bucket she plans to have a big one!

• Like 1

my thai wife also told me once that it takes several days (i think it was 3days too) until the spirit 'understands' that the body is dead and leaves finally...

In Tibet they believe that it takes 3 days for the spirit body to fully leave the old physical body, so that dispose of it on the third day. Perhaps similar beliefs exist in several Asian Countries, but now most people just don't know.

Certainly it does give distant relatives a chance to get to the funeral for the last important day...the cremation.

• Like 1

it's mostly either 3 or 7 days, sometimes 5 days, but it never seems to be 2, 4 or 6 days. anybody can explain why it's never an even number of days?

Where I live it is normally 3 days, but longer if it is a very important person. This is a quote for a explanation of Buddhist mournig that I came across:

"As along as the body is present the spirit can benefit by the gifts presented, the sermons preached and the chants uttered before it. This thought lies behind the use of the bhusa yhong ribbon which extends from the body within the coffin to the chanting monks before it. The dead may thus have contact with the holy sutras. When the body is cremated the spirit is more definitely cut off from the world, it is best therefore not to force that spirit to enter the preta world finally and irrevocably until it has had the benefit of a number of religious services designed to improve its status. "

My wife says that it's just another reason to have a party, and when I kick the bucket she plans to have a big one!

When my dad passed away in Scotland, I was offshore Vietnam and it took me almost four days to get home. By the time I got there, the undertaker had done the needful but rather than have him lying in some anonymous funeral home, my mum and sister had his open coffin in the living room at home, facing the telly as he would have liked. It was great sitting and chatting with him there, together as a family. Played cards sometimes, laughed a bit, cried a bit more, drank a fair few beers and just let him watch the telly.

No Buddhists in our household either.... fancy that!

As off topic as I have ever seen.

it's mostly either 3 or 7 days, sometimes 5 days, but it never seems to be 2, 4 or 6 days. anybody can explain why it's never an even number of days-

budhism has everything in denominations of 3 (the triple gem) - so 3 6 and 9 are lucky numbers also, ask any thai what numbers are most used for lotto...

Simple : Showing-Off and collecting money.

My MIL like most Thais keeps a ledger in the house, its sorted by name and event.

She can tell you exactly how much money was generated for any event, funeral, wedding, tam boon baan etc etc, its lists exactly how much each person donated.

Prior to an event the MIL gets out the ledger and has a quick look, this will dictate how much she or her family put in the envelope.

Heres a clue, why do you think every envelope has your name on it, so they can record the amount and reciprocate when the time comes.

I have witnessed lap tops at weddings where on entering the hall, the envelope is opened and the amount entered on a spreadsheet.

As mentioned above, those wise in Thai ways will let their other half sort it out, the unwise will get suckered into all sorts of face buying crap.

Many of these villagers have a village insurance fund to take care of the funeral and expenses, other families have private insurance.

Sadly for many its all about keeping up with the Somchais, borrowing and spending money they dont have to try and gain face, the problem is they cant buy status in the village, everyone knows who and what they are.

• Like 2