29 killed in Thailand bus accident: police

webfact

29 killed in Thailand bus accident: police

BANGKOK, December 27, 2013 (AFP) - At least 29 people were killed and four badly injured when a bus plunged into a deep ravine in northeast Thailand, police said Friday.

The accident occurred around midnight Thursday-Friday in Lom Sak district, Phetchabun province while the bus was en route to the northern province of Chiang Rai.

"We suspect the bus driver fell asleep," Major General Sukit Samana, police commander of Phetchabun province, told AFP.

"We found 28 bodies in the ravine, which is about 30 metres (100 feet) deep. And one died at the hospital," he said.

Four others were in a critical condition.

"The eyewitness who informed the police said the bus went very fast before it plunged into the ravine," he said.
The bus, which was carrying 40 passengers, was completely destroyed in the accident.

The accident occurred as millions of Thai motorists are expected to travel during the New Year holidays.
Deadly road accidents are common in Thailand.

At least 20 people were killed in October when a tour bus carrying elderly Buddhist devotees plunged into a ravine in northeast Thailand.

A recent report by the World Health Organization said the country saw some 38.1 road deaths per 100,000 of population, compared to an average of 18.5 in Southeast Asia as a whole.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-12-27

• Like 1

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until they start going after the owners with big lawsuits, nothing is going to change.

Is there any point in suing anyone in this country?

If the bus company loses and doesn't pay will they go to jail?

Enough money and you can't go to jail for murder so suing a bus company could only be to the benifit of lawyers.

• Like 1

Life in Thailand is cheap, grieving families not wanting to create 'scene' bury their dead

and continue with life, no uproar, no graveness, no demand for investigation, and until

this situation will change where someone will have to be ultimately liable for the carnage

and lack of safety measures put in place to insure the safety of the traveling public, it will

continue to be like that.... life in Thailand is cheap...

• Like 2

And this just after police say they started a big traffic safety campaign.

RIP the victims and sympathy for their families and friends

How many Bus accidents last 12 months now ?......................5 , 6 ,,or even 10 . Wake up Stupid Thailand!!!!

• Like 1

Where is the Thai outrage? Why doesn't a grass-roots group form of Thai citizens demanding that road safety be addressed and things change. To do nothing and to see these road deaths continue is insane.

• Like 2

Thai bus drivers just don't seem to know how to use the gears

to slow down on hills, most likely in 4th gear flying around the

bends, tries to brake going too fast, brakes fade,he and passengers

are f%#ked,hope he did not get to run away !

RIP the folks who lost their lives,and it will never stop,thats the irony

of it all,and I thought all buses where supposed to be fitted with seat

belts.

regards Worgeordie

You all forget that the (Thai) driver was naturally gifted to drive a bus, training and education on safety was not needed as his superiority to other drivers was apparent to him from an early age.

His falling asleep at the wheel was his only ever mistake and should not cast any doubts on his true abilities.

But really with a road traffic system where there are no penalties except paltry fines, any transgressor can continue driving no matter what they have done on the road until they have killed themselves, and probably others too.

When I tell Thai friends about suspended licenses and points systems they simply do not believe it is possible to have control like that.

Out on my bike I have drivers try to kill me for fun so it seems, head on aggression,(but they do flash their lights so I guess that's ok then) side ways swiping, trying to race and overtake, it is murder out there. It aint going to change soon by the feel of things, so its game on to survive.

• Like 1

The failure of thai authorities to address road safety reminds me of this from Inferno "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of crisis"

This is a definitely a crisis where people just turn the head and move on with their life and says "it's karma"

• Like 1

If the driver fell asleep then one has to question why. What rest periods di he have? How many hours has he driven in the past 24 and all week? When did he last stop and what was his schedule?

This would form the basis of any incident investigation, and I have carried out many, in many countries. Sadly, this backward country adopts an Ostrich mentality to what is not an accident but negligence.