Thai government to ask army to secure election

webfact

What reforms is Suthep talking about, there has never been anything real with any degree of substance mentioned. The elected government can ask the army but they will not do anything because guess who the silent backer of Suthep is. These demonstrators don't want elections or democracy full stop, they want full, absolute control of everything. Who in their right mind would demonstrate to block elections and support less freedom of speech and more restrictions across the board. The power of a dictator is awesome to behold, he who knows whats best for all of us and if you don't go along with it, you may be killed as a traitor and laughed at. This fight is only about money and power for Suthep

"This fight is only about money and power for Suthep"

Suthep is the Army's puppet. This is about removing any populist leader, denying the majority a say in future elections, and returning the Bangkok elite to power.

So because it is your opinion it must be right

(My thai wife would like to say to you)

please show pic of your Thai ID Card

if not Go home you have no right f say in Thailand

This is not only my opinion, but the general consensus of the worlds media (which is not censored as Thai media is)

Your wife obviously has not done any research on the subject. Nor have you apparently.

Can we see your Thai ID card?

Edited by pumpuiman
  • Like 1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that the top brass will argue that the police can handle the situation and try to avoid doing using force to protect a government most of them loathe. They were forced to be at the registration stadium but did nothing, just watched. That is the reverse of the situation the Abhhisit government faced in 2010 when the police just stood and watched. The government will be very wary too remembering that the final trigger for the 2006 coup was believed to be that Thaksin had order the military to crack down on protestors planning to mass at Sanam Luang. Thaksin now well entrenched in his bunker now, the difference being that he faces no personal risk. Nothing much can happen to him, if the whole country goes pear shaped and he has huge upside, if he wins. So no reason for him to back down while he still has family members willing to do his bidding.

• Like 1

Even if Yingluck and anyone connected to Thaksin are sent to Mars, the Army will not allow the poor to choose a leader ever again.

Any future candidate proposed by the poor majority will be rejected as a "puppet of Thaksin" no matter what their background or affiliation.

Covering this millenium, when did the poor majority ever propose any candidate?

Yingluck? No.

Somchai? No.

Samak? No.

Thaksin? No.

They were all proposed by Thaksin.

In this millennium, who was the only candidate that let the rural poor have a voice? That actually made good on campaign promises to the rural poor?

That's right, Thaksin.....

.but I was trying to point out that any populist candidate will be squashed by Suthep's "council" if allowed to be formed. The poor are looked upon as too stupid to vote by Suthep and company..or have you not been paying attention?

Please not re write Thai history for your own sake

I was there and he gave with one hand

and took twice as much away with the other

My Thai wife's family are worse of now than before Thaskin mad promises he did not keep

Sad to say his Sisters comes from the same Mold

Practically free health care.

A minimum wage that more than doubled income for countless rural poor.

Low interest loans made available to the rural poor.

I am not in favor of Thaksin, just pointing out the facts.

Suthep is not the answer. Letting the majority of voters decide their fate is.

If we are to believe Suthep, a majority of Thais back his plan...let him prove it at the polls.

Maybe PTP is right, a coup would be better than Suthep. At least with the coup you know sooner or later their will be elections and you know who is going to win. Thanksin or no Thanksin the PRP and red shirts will take the election just like in the past. Let the Dems boycott again bcause they will never win with Abhisit at the helm.

Edited by Nowhereman60

What reforms is Suthep talking about, there has never been anything real with any degree of substance mentioned. The elected government can ask the army but they will not do anything because guess who the silent backer of Suthep is. These demonstrators don't want elections or democracy full stop, they want full, absolute control of everything. Who in their right mind would demonstrate to block elections and support less freedom of speech and more restrictions across the board. The power of a dictator is awesome to behold, he who knows whats best for all of us and if you don't go along with it, you may be killed as a traitor and laughed at. This fight is only about money and power for Suthep

Do tell....who is the silent backer??

Suthep is backed by General Prawit Wongsuwan and General Anupong Paochinda as reported repeatedly in world media.

"Military sources say protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban is backed by two powerful retired generals, former Defense minister General Prawit Wongsuwan and former army chief General Anupong Paochinda. Both have a history of enmity with Thaksin and remain influential in the current military establishment."

one of many articles.....http://mobile.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSBRE9BE07U20131215?irpc=932

Here is a man who gets all his knowledge from reading the media

what would I know

I just live her with my Thai wife and all her Uni friends

and they all know nothing

we should all bow down to you great knowledge man

would you like to know what we use the media for in our village, (toilet paper is to expensive)

I also live in Thailand, and the US. Funny that your "educated" friends use uncensored news reports as toilet paper. My Isaan friends actually read them.

My wife grew up as a migrant farm hand working for 20 baht per day. She knows what the democrats have done for the poor.

Has your wife and her uni friends ever been stung by a scorpion, had their hand swell to twice it's size and kept working in the mud?

I don't get all my knowledge from media.

Edited by pumpuiman

By approaching the army, Pheu Thai plays its only available unplayed card. Yet what they request is impossible and too widespread to enforce. The army will not become involved. This is Pheu Thai's mess, and so only they can clean it up.

A minority faction goes on a prolonged illegal rampage and somehow it's the fault of the PTP? This is akin to a murderer pleading that "The devil made me do it."

This is not only my opinion, but the general consensus of the worlds media (which is not censored as Thai media is)

Your wife obviously has not done any research on the subject. Nor have you apparently.

Can we see your Thai ID card?

Okay now we see you talk from the end you sit one

You now believe Farlang have Thai ID Cards

Ha ha you live in Fairy land

My Thai wife sometimes reads when I laugh

and when I read your posting she had to come and pick me up

I can not repeat what she had to say about you as I would be stopped using TV

My opinion does not count

I do not like the Yellow shirts or the red shirts

But I remember how safe it was on the streets of Bangkok when the army took over last time

I retract that statement

I got hay fever from all the flowers Thais gave to the soldiers

But I guess you where not here to see that

You and your wife are a match made in heaven.

• Like 1

By approaching the army, Pheu Thai plays its only available unplayed card. Yet what they request is impossible and too widespread to enforce. The army will not become involved. This is Pheu Thai's mess, and so only they can clean it up.

A minority faction goes on a prolonged illegal rampage and somehow it's the fault of the PTP? This is akin to a murderer pleading that "The devil made me do it."

The problem is the minority faction, 11 million Democrat voters compared to 15 million Pheua Thai voters in the last election, includes almost all of the middle class, the people in administration in all sectors of the economy.

This is one reason Yingluck avoids Bangkok.

Even if Yingluck and anyone connected to Thaksin are sent to Mars, the Army will not allow the poor to choose a leader ever again.

Any future candidate proposed by the poor majority will be rejected as a "puppet of Thaksin" no matter what their background or affiliation.

Yingluck? No.

Somchai? No.

Samak? No.

Thaksin? No.

It really doesn't matter who proposed them .

It matters if the wrong entity is identified. Do you have a problem with accuracy in posting?

Yingluck? No.

Somchai? No.

Samak? No.

Thaksin? No.

It matters if the wrong entity is identified. Do you have a problem with accuracy in posting?

It really doesn't matter who proposed them. The point I was making in my post is that a populist leader will never be allowed again after the elite resume power. The "council" would rule the candidate ineligible.

• Like 2

Even if Yingluck and anyone connected to Thaksin are sent to Mars, the Army will not allow the poor to choose a leader ever again. Any future candidate proposed by the poor majority will be rejected as a "puppet of Thaksin" no matter what their background or affiliation.
Covering this millenium, when did the poor majority ever propose any candidate?Yingluck? No.Somchai? No.Samak? No.Thaksin? No.They were all proposed by Thaksin.
I was trying to point out that any populist candidate will be squashed by Suthep's "council" if allowed to be formed.
Then write that instead of the completely different claim you did write.
..or have you not been paying attention?
You're a fine one to be asking if others have not been paying attention.

Yingluck? No.

Somchai? No.

Samak? No.

Thaksin? No.

It really doesn't matter who proposed them.

Gotcha. To he11 with accuracy.

The government should ask the 230,000 policemen in this country to do what they are supposed to do.
And how long have you lived in Thailand? Not long judging from that statement. Don't confuse the RTP with law enforcement agencies as they're known in developed countries. The Thai police have a job to do and it's nothing to do with preventing crime or enforcing the law. They're an organized crime unit or as we say, a mafia. The only difference is, they wear a uniform. And have state backing, as long as the proceeds from their ill-gotten gains are sent up the food chain. Edited by H1w4yR1da

Yingluck? No.

Somchai? No.

Samak? No.

Thaksin? No.

OK then. I feel like I'm on crazy pills. What the heck does the moose have in common with the price of cheese anyway.

Sandanista Cornflakes,

Florsheim

Yingluck? No.

Somchai? No.

Samak? No.

Thaksin? No.

I was trying to point out that any populist candidate will be squashed by Suthep's "council" if allowed to be formed.

Then write that instead of the completely different claim you did write.

..or have you not been paying attention?

You're a fine one to be asking if others have not been paying attention.

You have proved your point, and mine.

nice chatting with you.

Suthep has offered to debate reform proposals on TV this Wednesday, New Year's Day with Yingluck.

Sadly Yingluck refused to join, it's a pity as it would have enabled the Thai public (and all the Thai Visa posters) to have a clear idea about what Suthep and Yingluck propose in detail.

The Democrats will start their reform campaign in the New Year, proposing their blueprint for Thailand's future with changes to the law, such as no statute of limitations on corruption cases, a progressive land tax

Why should she? What authority does he have to ask this? Being a demanding loudmouth on a stage doesn't give him any rights, nor does a mob. The government has already proposed a discussion procedure. The correct way forward for Khun Suthep and the Democrats would be to run in the election. If his/their platform gets public support - and they claim repeatedly it has that - then that's adopted.

This is not rocket science.

The loudmouth on stage has galvanized massive crowds to demand reform, leading to the government hurriedly declaring an election and hastening to join the reform bandwagon to appear 'up to date'.

So what - the loudmouth was still not elected nor is he standing, so his right to demand anything is absolutely nil. If he thinks he has a constituency then his only option is the ballot box. If he refuses then his voice has no substance. The government has offered an option and that is their right. He does not have an alternative right no matter how massive the crowds, unless he is part of the democratic process. Until Thailand gets this really basic parameter of the democratic process it has not future as a modern democracy.

Yingluck? No.

Somchai? No.

Samak? No.

Thaksin? No.

Umm, no .. I was trying to point out the irrelevancy in the point. In a Democratic process the voters get to decide whether who proposed them matters, not you.

The army will not be needed to secure the election as this will now be postponed. A constitutional court date scheduled for the 9th/10th January is likely to recommend the banning of 312 politicians who were signatories to the senate change bill and also a disbanding of the PtP due to "voting irregularities" having taken place during the last reading. Due to this and the EC recommendation to delay the election, the postponement will be announced on January 11th by the army chief of staff and an interim administration is to be set up including military, central bank, academic, commerce and community leaders with a remit to provide a reform agenda within 6 months. The reform agenda shall include party affiliation and contribution limits, stronger corruption and vote buying penalties, a strengthening of the EC, house and senate party list reforms and cinstituency boundary allocations. Per interim the government departments will cintinue to function under the direction of the permanent secretaries, however no new spending allocations will be allowed and the annual budget process will not be taking place. The current water and infrastructure spending plans will be suspended until further notice although ongoing activities for waterway repairs will be continued. All government departments will instead be allocated a raise in line with inflation on 1st October. If the reform agenda is completed then this will be submitted to national referendum on 1st November followed ratification of the constitutionsl court and by new elections after 90 days if the referendum is successful.

Very prescient and probably what will happen.

If PTP are sidelined or ignored in this process, real violence follows.

If they are included, sanity might prevail, just.

Umm, no .. I was trying to point out the irrelevancy in the point. In a Democratic process the voters get to decide whether who proposed them matters, not you.

What a huge stretch you make. I never said I decide.

If you think pumpuiman's point is irrelevant, you should reply to him.

If you think correcting his inaccuracy is irrelevant, then uhmm, ok.

Suthep is the Army's puppet. This is about removing any populist leader, denying the majority a say in future elections, and returning the Bangkok elite to power.

What a silly thing to say and what a stupid request. It's just an opinion, take it or leave. Democratic countries allow people to have opinions, seems your wife has never lived in one and probably doesn't want to.

• Like 1

"Don't bring us into the middle of the conflict," General Prayut Chan-O-Cha said when asked if the army would send soldiers to guard polling stations.

What a disgrace! he should be replaced by someone prepared to do his duty, no army has the right to refuse a legitimate request (order really) by a democratically elected government, especially as said government is doing it's duty according to the constitution!

• Like 1

If that were true, then the army could effect another coup. What are they waiting for?

They only have enough troops (long serving and politically reliable regulars) to secure the centre of Bangkok. The rest of them are mainly conscripts, overwhelmingly from the poorer families and from the North and North-east. How many middle class Bangkok kids get drafted? They buy there way out or do some sort of mickey mouse version like a certain Reserve 2Lt Abhisit!

If they stage a coup, and the Reds kick off, they will lose control of things. Their conscripts simply will not shoot there own people. The generals know that.

All I keep hearing from the "Democrats"cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif and their yellow-shirted junta-supporters is that they want "electoral reform" before they will participate in elections.

1) Not one of them says what that actually means. Just WHAT is it they want (apart from unelected power)? Maybe then a compromise might be reached. Just blinkin' well tell us all WHAT it is they want (even if it IS a twelvth man on the pitch).

2) How shall the government implement these "reform/s" (once they've actually decided what they are and told us) in time for the February election - or is this to run and run and run, for years to come?.

3) What happens if, following the implementation of their (as yet undecided) unclear reforms, the "Democrats" cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif still lose the election? Will they shut up and go home, then?

It'll all end in tears, no doubt.xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.5zxzyGiJz0.png

Edited by SebD

If that were true, then the army could effect another coup. What are they waiting for?

They only have enough troops (long serving and politically reliable regulars) to secure the centre of Bangkok. The rest of them are mainly conscripts, overwhelmingly from the poorer families and from the North and North-east. How many middle class Bangkok kids get drafted? They buy there way out or do some sort of mickey mouse version like a certain Reserve 2Lt Abhisit!

If they stage a coup, and the Reds kick off, they will lose control of things. Their conscripts simply will not shoot there own people. The generals know that.

You mean like even with restrain in 2010 still the Isaan conscripts shot how many Red Shirts. Listen to some Redshirts then answer will be 90 odd including some of their own Army mates...truly Amazing Thailand. The reality is the Generals know as in 2010 that it is the Army and the conscripts are firstly answerable to the Army and the King. Edited by Roadman

POLITICS
Army help sought for poll

The Nation

30223148-01_big.gif
Army commander-in-chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha gestures while talking to a group of reporters about the ongoing political confrontation, at the Army headquarters yesterday.

EC seeks dialogue with both sides, says no push for election delay

BANGKOK: -- The government will ask the military to support and oversee safety measures for both candidates and voters on election day, caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said yesterday.

Surapong, who is in charge of the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order, said he would ask to meet Supreme Commander General Tanasak Patimaprakorn to discuss the matter.

Surapong, who is also caretaker foreign minister, said the request was in response to the Election Commission's concern that there would be more violence before election day, which could mean that it was impossible to hold the poll as scheduled on February 2.

The EC has liaised with both the government and protest leaders in search of an accord ahead of the general election, a commission member said yesterday.

Somchai Srisuthiyakorn, who is in charge of electoral management, said the commissioners had talked with "very high-ranking leaders" of both sides about a possible dialogue with them before New Year's Day. The EC would meet one side at a time, he added.

"We are not seeking to postpone the election. We seek dialogue with both sides so that the country can progress," Somchai said.

He called on both sides to tone down their demands and suggested that the EC might set conditions acceptable to both of them.

"Very high-ranking leaders of both sides have been approached," he said, declining to disclose more details. "Let's wait until there is a discussion. I expect it to happen some time before New Year's Day."

He also said the EC's latest move had been agreed upon by all five election commissioners, and that the agency was acting carefully to prevent any accusations of bias.

He said the EC did not want a postponement of the election.

On Thursday, however, the watchdog had asked the government to postpone the poll after violent clashes between police and protesters that left two people dead and more than 100 injured.

The government rejected the idea, saying it had no authority to defer the election.

Somchai said the EC was continuously assessing the political dispute and agreed that the election, should it be held as scheduled, would not solve problems in society and that conflicting factions should hold talks to reach an understanding and agreement.

Caretaker PM's Office Minister Varathep Ratanakorn said the government had yet to coordinate with the EC, but it believed that a delay in the election would contribute to more violence and unrest.

"If we have an election in 60 days [from when the poll date was announced], we will have new cabinet members and national legislators sooner," he said.

Caretaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan said the government could be charged with dereliction of duty if it failed to ensure that the general election went ahead as planned.

Caretaker Deputy PM Phongthep Thepkanchana, meanwhile, said it would be against the Constitution to postpone the poll.

The Council of State, which is the government's legal advisory agency, has suggested to the government that the postponement of an election is allowed by the electoral law in the event of riot, emergency or force majeure - and that a postponement may take place only in those constituencies where such incidents occur.

A new election date may be designated within seven days of the conclusion of such an incident, according to the council.

The EC yesterday decided to move the venue for registering MP candidates for Bangkok constituencies to the Government Complex in Nonthaburi.

Registration of MP candidates in all 375 constituencies nationwide begins today and ends next Wednesday, January 1.

Registration in the provinces will be held at locations designated by local election authorities.

The EC's Somchai said the agency had empowered the provincial election authorities to decide about moving the registration venues, or even suspending the registration, in the event of an emergency or violence.

A video conference was held yesterday between election commissioners and the provincial election authorities about final preparations for the registration.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-28

I also live in Thailand, and the US. Funny that your "educated" friends use uncensored news reports as toilet paper. My Isaan friends actually read them.

My wife grew up as a migrant farm hand working for 20 baht per day. She knows what the democrats have done for the poor.

Has your wife and her uni friends ever been stung by a scorpion, had their hand swell to twice it's size and kept working in the mud?

I don't get all my knowledge from media.

Thai wife told me not to argue with you

Reason

two important things i taught her and should remember

1) Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

2) Great words by Abraham Lincoln

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

• Like 1

Please tell your wife that, unfortunately for proto-fascists, until Thailand truly adopts totalitarianism, Thai or foreign residents do have the right to hold & express opinions that she may disagree with. The UN calls this the right to freedom of speech. Thailand, the last time I checked, was a member of the UN.

• Like 1