Do Thai Taxi drivers not get paid well. Why do almost half of them feel like they are entitled to

Sojuncoke

I knew some BKK taxi drivers from my extended family and they made ok money, due to the way they lived. They worked 12 hours a day, didn't drink much at all and ate cheap food. They also rented a small room to share for about 700 baht a person. This is not pretty (I know...I visited it). But, they were able to save a decent amount of money. The problem was, they would send it back to be immediately squandered on junk back in the village. They could have actually amassed a nice little sum after 6 months to a year, but....alas.

So, by working and living like a hermit, they can do ok, but that doesn't make it an easy lifestyle.

• Like 2

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew some BKK taxi drivers from my extended family and they made ok money, due to the way they lived. They worked 12 hours a day, didn't drink much at all and ate cheap food. They also rented a small room to share for about 700 baht a person. This is not pretty (I know...I visited it). But, they were able to save a decent amount of money. The problem was, they would send it back to be immediately squandered on junk back in the village. They could have actually amassed a nice little sum after 6 months to a year, but....alas.

So, by working and living like a hermit, they can do ok, but that doesn't make it an easy lifestyle.

Malaysian taxi drivers in Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Johor Bahru are worse then most taxi drivers in Thailand.

I would only pick up a taxi with a Malay driver. (Encik buka meter boleh ?)

Singapore taxi drivers are polite but very expensive and you often have to wait long to get one.

For me Thailand taxi drivers are great at least in Bangkok and Udon.

Taxi drivers don't make a salary. Their pay is based upon the amount of fares they receive.

I've taken hundreds of taxis in Thailand and I've never been asked to pay more that what the meter says. However, I have had some drivers who did not want to use the meter and quoted an unreasonable fare.

I have to say that besides Colombia, I have met more ass_ole taxi drivers in Thailand than in any other country. However, I still find the vast majority of Thai taxi drivers to be honest.

BTW, I find taxi fares in Bangkok to be extremely cheap and therefore am usually happy to give a decent tip ... esp. for pleasant service.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

Malaysian taxis being honest???? Is that a joke? I used to live four years in Kuala Lumpur and the taxi system over there is a total failure! taxi drivers being probably the most dishonest drivers in the whole world!
As for Singapore, the main I uses over there is that ... there are no taxis available at the leak hours. Nearly me missed a couple of flights on a Friday night in Singapore just because not a single cab would pick me up at the taxi stand and the waiting list on the various taxi company hotlines was just crazy.

Bangkok taxi drivers may not be perfect but the system is much much much better than in any other Asian countries (and probably even worldwide)

Malaysia taxi drivers full of scam ( special button increase meter rates) refuse to used meter, rude bad driving attitude. I born there I know very well.

Malaysian taxi drivers in Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Johor Bahru are worse then most taxi drivers in Thailand.

I would only pick up a taxi with a Malay driver. (Encik buka meter boleh ?)

Singapore taxi drivers are polite but very expensive and you often have to wait long to get one.

For me Thailand taxi drivers are great at least in Bangkok and Udon.

I disagree about Singapore cabs being very expensive, I think that for the cost of living in Singapore they are damn cheap and about a quater of the price of a cab in Australia with a similar cost of living and drive much better than the average Sydney cab driver who can't speak English anyway and refuse any fares under $10. (300 B).

• Like 2

You say Malaysian taxi drivers never ask for more than the meter,are you serious?blink.png

And if so have you never been to Kuala Lumpur?bah.gif

That is exactly what I was going to say.

The OP is completely clueless.

Kuala Lumpur taxi drivers are 100x worse than Bangkok.

Does anyone have any experience with just getting out and not paying? What was the response, were police involved?

Have been tempted do do just that several times when either the meter was not running or I caught someone taking a long route on my GPS. Things somehow work out, but sometimes it's just easier to not get upset about it, get out and flag another taxi. Saves face better also.

One time I ordered to stop when the meter was not turned on after I got in and we started and he did not do so. I opend the door while he was driving and he quickly pulled over. Lucky he did not have an automatic door lock from the front. So keep your hand on the door handle in the open position until he switches on the meter, or ask them to switch it on before you get in LOL.

Edited by donniereadit

Malaysian taxis being honest???? Is that a joke? I used to live four years in Kuala Lumpur and the taxi system over there is a total failure! taxi drivers being probably the most dishonest drivers in the whole world!

As for Singapore, the main I uses over there is that ... there are no taxis available at the leak hours. Nearly me missed a couple of flights on a Friday night in Singapore just because not a single cab would pick me up at the taxi stand and the waiting list on the various taxi company hotlines was just crazy.

Bangkok taxi drivers may not be perfect but the system is much much much better than in any other Asian countries (and probably even worldwide)

Better than any other Asian countries and maybe the world?

You've not traveled much have you?

Better than Singapore? (safer and less stressful? English speaking?)

Better than Japan? (safer, more professional, cleaner?)

Better than Seoul?

Get real. They are cheaper, Yes. If that's all you care about, then they might be better for you. These Thai country 'bumpkins' who drive the taxis are often dangerous, barely literate, drugged abusing, loud music playing, poor driving (fast, not observing road regulations), cheap, dirty car driving criminals willing to rip off or assault / kill you over a fare.

BS.Get out the wrong side of the bed.

You say Malaysian taxi drivers never ask for more than the meter,are you serious?blink.png

That is exactly what I was going to say.

The OP is completely clueless.

Kuala Lumpur taxi drivers are 100x worse than Bangkok.

You guys must actively seek out the villains. Follow the simple guidance in my first post and you won't have a problem in Bangkok, KL, Singapore, or, now I come to recall, Manila.

SC

In tourist area's usually you got to get a driving taxi driver not one standing around else they wont turn on the meter. I hate it when they don't but i just take the next one or the one after that and so on.. in tourist area's it could take a while. Normal area's its easier to get a taxi.

Some are lazy some are not some are stupid some are not. I known hard working ones in our village to make good money but they in general own their taxi and work hard.

I was desperate for a taxi to take me home and the taxi drivers were refusing until I lost my cool and started to write his number down. Then no argument (they can't refuse a fare by law).

That's a sure fire way to end up at the hospital rather than at home.

Didn't that come in to Bangkok last year ? If a taxi refused a fare then if you took his long, long name and car number he would be fined 1,000 baht - I bet nobody has managed to complain

LOL, Malaysian Taxi are terrible, very professional cheaters. It's amazing how they perfect art of lying to tourists and very often manage to cheat them.

To my experience of 13 years in LOS, 10% of taxi I've taken are very good, I always give at least 10% tip for those, but the 90% I have no words to describe what they are.

I've been using Grab Taxi lately for longer trips, all I can say is that it is AMAZING! the taxi drivers are very nice, ZERO talk, and just drive. car smells good and very clean. I give the 25 baht extra fee and some more tip, then leave the comments on grab taxi.

Hey guys,

woke up to see in my thaivisa email that my thread was a featured topic and received all these responses.

Ok so I was in Malaysia for only a week and I guess I got lucky with my taxi drivers. I will edit that in the first post.

I was also talking about Bangkok Taxi drivers mostly. I have been here for 2 years and it seems half of them are very legit and happy with just the meter and half of them feel like they deserve more. The ones that try to get more always say they dont have change for a 100 baht. So the other day, I actually went to my security guard and changed a 100 for the 40 bath meter. When I handed it to him he snatched it from my hand with attitude and started mumbling. I had many other stories similar to this.

So instead of getting angry at the situation, I was very curious as to why the taxi drivers here are so 2 sided. More than other countries it seems. It's either they are all good or all bad. In my experiences in Bangkok, it's half and half.

To response to another post. I would also like to know how you can tell if someone owns their own taxis. Maybe that is why half of them are good and half of them are bad.

Edited by Sojuncoke

Another theory that I have (which coincides with the protests going on) is the whole Rich city people VS. Poor rural people scenario.

Maybe some of these taxi drivers are coming from rural areas to drive taxis and when they drop you off at your condo they act like you should give them more?

Taxi drivers don't make a salary. Their pay is based upon the amount of fares they receive.

I've taken hundreds of taxis in Thailand and I've never been asked to pay more that what the meter says. However, I have had some drivers who did not want to use the meter and quoted an unreasonable fare.

I have to say that besides Colombia, I have met more ass_ole taxi drivers in Thailand than in any other country. However, I still find the vast majority of Thai taxi drivers to be honest.

BTW, I find taxi fares in Bangkok to be extremely cheap and therefore am usually happy to give a decent tip ... esp. for pleasant service.

Have used taxis in colombia extensively and never had a single issue or problem. Usually they are the ones a business, restaurant or hotel calls but not all. In bogota most even wear sport coats (european style) they are courteous and professional. Are you fluent in spanish?

To the contrary, bangkok taxis have continually been a headache for thais and non thais (i read/write thai). The majority of taxis are ok and some are even notable good but theres enough lousy ones to ruin ones day. Recently at about 0200 in bkk there were tons of empty taxis, few passengers, and perhaps 10 in a row that wanted a 2-3 x normal fare or simply refused to go. Finally I got one that demanded a flat fee, no meter. In his infinite intelligence and scamming ability the flat fee quoted was actually less then a normal meter fee is.

Edited by atyclb

Yeah this is sooooo true....I'm in Penang now and trying to get a meter on would be the same pointless exercise as on Samui.

Bangkok is a dream by comparison!

No one seems to mention the hours that taxi drivers work. In affluent Singapore They regularly work 15 hours a day. Several of them told me they need 12 hours per day to break even, and the income to them is just for 3 hrs. They work 7 days pw, and sometimes get a day off. Taxi owner/drivers do better but vehicle and license ownership is restricted and the costs are huge. I don't imagine its much different in Thailand, as far as nett earnings go, but that probably depends on the 'taxi mafias'. I've never had a bad experience with a taxi in BKK, but it helps to speak some Thai.

In tourist area's usually you got to get a driving taxi driver not one standing around else they wont turn on the meter. I hate it when they don't but i just take the next one or the one after that and so on.. in tourist area's it could take a while. Normal area's its easier to get a taxi.

Some are lazy some are not some are stupid some are not. I known hard working ones in our village to make good money but they in general own their taxi and work hard.

I was desperate for a taxi to take me home and the taxi drivers were refusing until I lost my cool and started to write his number down. Then no argument (they can't refuse a fare by law).

That's a sure fire way to end up at the hospital rather than at home.

Didn't that come in to Bangkok last year ? If a taxi refused a fare then if you took his long, long name and car number he would be fined 1,000 baht - I bet nobody has managed to complain

Theres been a huge number of complaints and fines. Most from thai people. Problem is the car owners/companies pay the fines and not the drivers. Drivers simply quit and change company/owner for next taxi rental. Many drivers dont care enough to accept accountability and compensate the owner/company for the fine. Lastly owners/companies were thinking about a database to track such drivers to prevent them from working until the fines they incurred are resolved.

• Like 1

Like others, I've never had any issues with the taxis in BKK. I use them pretty much every day and the meter is never an issue.

I wonder why some people seem to have quite a hard time with them and others don't.

The minimum fare of 35 baht has been the same since I got here - probably longer, I don't know - but it does seem awfully cheap.

I think it should be raised to 50 baht.

The driver's gotta eat, <deleted>

Like others, I've never had any issues with the taxis in BKK. I use them pretty much every day and the meter is never an issue.

I wonder why some people seem to have quite a hard time with them and others don't.

The minimum fare of 35 baht has been the same since I got here - probably longer, I don't know - but it does seem awfully cheap.

You have been extremely lucky. Luckier then (tens)thousands of thais that have files complaints and luckier then many other non thais.

Please tell us which "good luck amulet" you wear.

I have had my fair share of problems with taxis with and without Thais. But this is mostly in tourist area's. Common problems are that they don't want to go where i want to go or that they don' want to turn on the meter.

Still most taxis i use don't have problems, just the ones in the tourist area's. But i prefer my own transportation anyway.

If they ask for a hundred baht before I get in, I laugh in their faces for behaving like lazy racist greed bags.

Phuket taxis and Patts baht busses do not get my taxis because I never go to these short-holes.

In the daytime I take two or three cabs a day.

I direct them to a BTS or MRT stop whenever possible.

If they take a wrong turn I wail on them with abuse that they can't read a map and don't know the city. And if were a Thai man would they have expected me to direct them. If they tell me that the traffic is jammed on the route I have indicated I ask him how he knows that. IT RARELY IS JAMMED.

If they pretend that my Thai was unclear I tell them it's their job to listen up and ask me to repeat if they don't get it. I then ask them exactly what the confusion was.

If they say no-moneeee, I wail on them with a breakdown of their NET TAKE after telling them that most gov't officers get about half of what they get. I ask them what they expect. I remind them that a European taxi fare goes to a European driver paying for a European apartment and paying for European expenses. And they are expected to actually know where things are.

If they give me a hard luck story I sympathize but I don't tip

If they are nosy and run that nonsense that I speak Thai because I have a Thai wife I tell them I have been here for decades and I ask them if they can identify the farang-slagging MF who taught them that myth.

I like to tell them that I drove a cab when I was in Uni, the year I missed the hiring for the mine.

That's if I'm not bored with their whole nonsense play.

More often than not they do a complete 180 and after they get clear that I couldn't give a toss about the fough-bough WE can have a decent conversation about political realities of the Realm.

If you don't spark decent Thai, do NOT attempt any of this.

If the driver is cool and the ride is safe and the conversation is not intrusive I tip like a drunken sailor.

And I smile look 'em in the eye and tell them as I hand them the cash "bourigan dii mak"

They get it.

If they ask for a hundred baht before I get in, I laugh in their faces for behaving like lazy racist greed bags.Phuket taxis and Patts baht busses do not get my taxis because I never go to these short-holes.In the daytime I take two or three cabs a day.I direct them to a BTS or MRT stop whenever possible.If they take a wrong turn I wail on them with abuse that they can't read a map and don't know the city. And if were a Thai man would they have expected me to direct them. If they tell me that the traffic is jammed on the route I have indicated I ask him how he knows that. IT RARELY IS JAMMED.If they pretend that my Thai was unclear I tell them it's their job to listen up and ask me to repeat if they don't get it. I then ask them exactly what the confusion was.If they say no-moneeee, I wail on them with a breakdown of their NET TAKE after telling them that most gov't officers get about half of what they get. I ask them what they expect. I remind them that a European taxi fare goes to a European driver paying for a European apartment and paying for European expenses. And they are expected to actually know where things are.If they give me a hard luck story I sympathize but I don't tipIf they are nosy and run that nonsense that I speak Thai because I have a Thai wife I tell them I have been here for decades and I ask them if they can identify the farang-slagging MF who taught them that myth. I like to tell them that I drove a cab when I was in Uni, the year I missed the hiring for the mine.That's if I'm not bored with their whole nonsense play.More often than not they do a complete 180 and after they get clear that I couldn't give a toss about the fough-bough WE can have a decent conversation about political realities of the Realm.If you don't spark decent Thai, do NOT attempt any of this.If the driver is cool and the ride is safe and the conversation is not intrusive I tip like a drunken sailor.And I smile look 'em in the eye and tell them as I hand them the cash "bourigan dii mak"They get it.

Oh, your'e way scarier than any BKK taxi driver!

I have not had that problem as I always insist the meter price, If they do not want to use the meter, I look for another taxi,

Bangkok, I have not had any problems, always use the meter or an agreed upon fare for a longer ride, the only places I found with bad taxi service was in Chiang Mai and Phuket

I believe that most Taxi drivers make a poor wage for a day of work due to, over supply of taxi's, cheap rates, renting cars and instead opt for more money by flat rate vs using the meter.( many tourist will pay the flat rate) But will go with the meter instead of losing a fare!

Thailand has one of the lowest Taxi fares then any country I ever visited, I never use taxi's in the home country the rates are unbelievable!

Cheers

'lowest taxi fares'. Do you mean low in the eyes of a foreigner of a Thai person?

for foreigners

I have not had that problem as I always insist the meter price, If they do not want to use the meter, I look for another taxi,

Bangkok, I have not had any problems, always use the meter or an agreed upon fare for a longer ride, the only places I found with bad taxi service was in Chiang Mai and Phuket

I believe that most Taxi drivers make a poor wage for a day of work due to, over supply of taxi's, cheap rates, renting cars and instead opt for more money by flat rate vs using the meter.( many tourist will pay the flat rate) But will go with the meter instead of losing a fare!

Thailand has one of the lowest Taxi fares then any country I ever visited, I never use taxi's in the home country the rates are unbelievable!

Cheers

'lowest taxi fares'

Do you mean low in the eyes of a foreigner of a Thai person?