Officials Combat Road Accidents By Monk Prayers

Lite Beer

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DocN,

I have suffered many years of this place, sadly.

Let me get this straight now you have suffered many years in a foreign country.

I would be getting a one way ticket home. Or another country that I could take my Thai wife.

Lots of countries more corrupt and ruled by religion if that was a cross I chose to bear.

But I would not choose that one. I would choose one that I could enjoy.

DocN,

I would be getting a one way ticket home. Or another country that I could take my Thai wife.

Lots of countries more corrupt and ruled by religion if that was a cross I chose to bear.

Can't gets the kids out of here.

Stories like this are great fodder for TV Thai bashers. Any guesses how many pages this will run to? Mine is 6 at least.

So not to be a Thai basher, posters must think that the fodder thrown at us if it is Thai related should be NORMAL, ACCEPTED, TOLERATED, TOOK SERIOUSLY.

In future if some topics are ridiculous, say NO WAY we go along with that..........coffee1.gif

Well to us it may seem ridiculous but to the Thais it is not. It is normal. so come of your high horse and let them have their beliefs and traditions.

Just an aside question but have any of the mockers here had an accident on that stretch of road since they blessed it?biggrin.png

In case some one hasn't figured it out yet I dislike Thai bashers particular the ones who also bash there traditions. So what no one will get hurt by it and a lot of them will feel better for it.wai2.gif

DocN,

Why did you bring them in to such a horrible place any how.

I happen to know two people who have done it.

Not because they suffer like you do but to get them a decent education.wai2.gif

According to the officials, the eviction of bad spirits will prevent future accident and help boost the morale of motorists.

This is a very risky approach that could easily back-fire.

What if the number of deaths rises significantly compared with other years?

What will these officials say then?

Pretty sure the numbers will be far less than any other years because there will be cover ups of the actual figure, to save facecoffee1.gif

• Like 1

DocN,

Why did you bring them in to such a horrible place any how.

I happen to know two people who have done it.

Not because they suffer like you do but to get them a decent education.wai2.gif

Oh just stop!

Look. They were born here. Their mother went off with a Thai bloke leaving me literally holding the baby. UK immigration won't have us, especially without the mother going too. So I'm stuck here with it and watch all the madness and all the chaos and all the instability and I live in dread of the future, not for me but for them.

Wonder what the explanation will be after the next road fatality there: not the right water mix?

Of course not... just get some black paint and paint out the road number and name (new name just given to the road) and pretend that the roadkill victims and the rubber-neckers stuck in the traffic jams while they hose down the tarmac will not recognise the road name or number.

It's true that evil spirits are to blame for most road accidents, mostly whiskey.

Thai white whisky, Loas Khow. This is the most favoured one they call Nong Khai label.

Suppose Monk prayers are a better bet, look at all the smashed up amulets in crashed vehicles.

But it is up to the individual, if he/she feels safer -good. Their driving plays a big part though.

Right, the amulets and garlands only are responsible for more accidents, a car designer knows that a large wind shield is designed for safety.

The government should ban these vision obstacles, it would sure save life.

• Like 1

This has to be the most hilarious news thread posted in 2013/2557.... or is it 316?

This has to be a moderator prank, to get the best before the year's out, surely?

Then again TIT....

-mel.

Blessings to all, and the ghost roadhogs who've just been shifted from their abode. sad.png

Try and find that Alien Abduction documentary, think it was C4. One woman believed that the alien abduction attacks were brought on when she had a KFC bargain bucket.

Seriously.

Edited by MJP

All joking aside, the danger here is that many motorists will think that this blessing means that they are somehow even more "safe" than they were with just the magic amulets, and will drive with even less care and consideration because of it.

That was my thought exactly after I heard this. wai.gif

It reminds me of a live interview on TV-AM one Apr-May many years ago between Anne Diamond & TV Evangelist Billy Graham who had the misfortune to be sitting next to Jimmy Greaves while promoting a televised love-in due to be held a few days later at a London football ground. It went something like this:

AD: "tell us about this special event?"

BG: <responded with a looonnnggg diatripe that inc a satellite link to Alexandria & USA>

JG: <who had winced quietly throughout> "By the way, where did you say you were holding it?"

BG: "Upton Park, The Home of West Ham United"

JG: "You're too late to save anyone there mate, They were relegated last Saturday!"

I was in stitches and so was everyone in the studio:)

The road safety attitudes among Thais are pretty much what those were in the West in the late 60's and early 70's. No seatbelts, no de facto speed limits and parents smoking cigarettes like chimneys inside cars, with kids in the backseat. smile.png

It took almost two decades of road safety campaigns before any meaningful change happened. It will take about the same in Thailand. There is also a wealth factor in road safety. The wealthier the country is, the safer the roads usually are.

• Like 1

Well, the Thai officials found the solution that has been evading us for years. Here I was silly to think that law enforcement was the answer but all that is really needed was a bunch of monks taking time out from shopping for iPhones and digital cameras to chant a few prayers. The answer is so simple and so obvious! No wonder it took an OFFICIAL to figure out the answer!

Too bad for us that the drivers believe that the monks prayers will protect them even if they are blind drunk and driving like they OWN the road.

The rest of us better look for some lucky rabbits feet.

If you've got the rabbits foot, how lucky was the rabbit ?

All joking aside, the danger here is that many motorists will think that this blessing means that they are somehow even more "safe" than they were with just the magic amulets, and will drive with even less care and consideration because of it.

That was my thought exactly after I heard this. wai.gif

+1

The most scary thing is that we - The Honourable Guests - in this absurd 3rd world backyard are looked upon as the idiots, because we laugh at this crazyness!

What about your wifes, and how many stupid Lakorns they view? How many of them are full of pii this and pii that? Monks in them too, blessing this and that, oh my, this country and it´s childish populace are steadily moving backwards in both time and evolution.

- and now the "children" have big SUV´s too, but what about driving?

Mai pen rai, fake it till you make it, LOL... ;)

• Like 1