how is it like carrying luggae from the airport taking the train all the way to hotel?

ultimate weapon

I see backpackers are the ones that would take trains or the cheapest transport possible cos everything is on their shoulders and they have 2 hands free. Well what about a regular person from the airport? One luggage for clothes, maybe a backpack and those are light travellers cos i think the average would be like 2 sling bags or luggage bags even so let's just assume it's one medium sized luggage bag from check in and one backpack and taking the train to your hotel on suk soi 20.

You take the airport link to makkasan. That's the easy part. Next you exit the station and it's quite a long walk to phetburi mrt station. I don't know if they will search u for a long time or not. It's in the afternoon so i don't know how crowded the mrt will be. Anyway it's just one stop to suk station. Then you exit it and it must be a long walk from suk mrt to suk soi 20. I think walking to the mrts and out from the mrts will be real difficult. I must say i have not really seen ppl from or going to the airport on the mrt before just at bts phaya thai. I suppose the cheap limo, taxi and car transport helps a lot.

There is a footbridge from the Airport Link to the MRT now, still quite a plod though.

I have seen many people opening their bags a the security point at the entrance to the MRT, would hardly say the bags are searched though.

Think I would be inclined to take a taxi.

• Like 1

Taking the Airport link to Asoke and walking the Skyway to the MRT station with luggage is not to bad, but from the Sukhumvit MRT station to Suk Soi 20 will be difficult. It is quit a walk and you cross Suk to get to Soi 20. Not recommended. The cost of a taxi from the airport is worth it.

Taking the Airport link to Asoke and walking the Skyway to the MRT station with luggage is not to bad, but from the Sukhumvit MRT station to Suk Soi 20 will be difficult. It is quit a walk and you cross Suk to get to Soi 20. Not recommended. The cost of a taxi from the airport is worth it.

The Asoke BTS and Sukhumvit MRT are co-located. Also, a sky bridge takes you to the Soi 20 side of Sukhumvit. The walk to Soi 20 is not bad and see a lot of folks with luggage doing it all the time.

Wow the airport link to asoke isn't smart at all cos that means a trip down to phayathai bts and from phayathai bts it's quite a long way to asoke. The shorter way is to get off at makkasan but to reach asoke bts from makkasan you need to take the mrt not the bts.

Sorry, I tried hard ......but I can't understand what your question is!

May be it's my poor command of English language!

Yes Costas2008, I think it MUST be your poor command of the English language.

Come to think of it, I too am sadly lacking in my understanding of what the question is all about. I'm afraid its "all Greek to me!" 555.

My English suck too, but I understand what you are asking. So maybe I am just a bit smarter than those ignorance people who want to attack your English skills. I would take a taxi if I were you. Unless you are young and in good physical shape and know where you are going once you arrive.

• Like 1

Take a regular taxi from the airport (meter) and you're looking at 300-400 baht. Take the raillink and BTS and it'll be around 100 baht.

For a saving of £5/$9, is it really worth the hassle after a long flight?

Edited by celso
  • Like 1

Yes Costas2008, I think it MUST be your poor command of the English language.

Come to think of it, I too am sadly lacking in my understanding of what the question is all about. I'm afraid its "all Greek to me!" 555.

My English suck too, but I understand what you are asking. So maybe I am just a bit smarter than those ignorance people who want to attack your English skills. I would take a taxi if I were you. Unless you are young and in good physical shape and know where you are going once you arrive.

Thanks for understanding.

My question as it is in the thread title. Taking a train to downtown bkk in this case suk soi 20 using the train.

Firstly i played out a scenerio of a non backpacker what a normal passenger or rather what i usually bring along. There are some ppl with a number of suitcases and some bags that they bring along in which case it would be highly inconvinent for them and others to take the train. For me i have one luggage suitcase weighing less than 15kg and one backpack so i'm considered a light traveller.

My second paragraph then detailed how i would attempt to reach my hotel by train so i listed the steps. Take airport link at airport stop at makkasan. Take mrt from phetburi down to suk and then walk to hotel. Sure that isn't part of the question it's just me listing the steps i would do and should be straightforward enough that isn't part of the question but just some additional info i added in. I don't need to actually explicitly write out that isn't part of the question do i.

Take a regular taxi from the airport (meter) and you're looking at 300-400 baht. Take the raillink and BTS and it'll be around 100 baht.

Depends when the journey takes place. I wouldn't want to take a taxi during rush hour. The train would take around 50 mins, the taxi could take a lot longer if traffic is bad. Do you really want to be stuck in a traffic jam for 2 hours after a long flight?

Plus, many people just would rather avoid taking taxis.

• Like 1

Last time i had a bike box with bike and equipment (one broken wheel on bike box), 50 pound backpack, and 35 pound bag i carried. it was insane, but i went slow, some people helped, and it just takes time. few hundred baht from airport to bus station. then bus to chiang mai, and then songtao or whatever to place. so not bad. you can do it, don't worry, it's easy

Edited by puukao

Taxis don't queue at Makkasan.

I was coming from Pattaya to BKK last Saturday and the traffic from about 2 km out from the airport was horrific, sat for about an hour past the airport and then asked the taxi to do the u-turn overpass and went to the airport to get the airport link to Makkasan. Plenty of taxis queuing when i got there.

Incidentally i knew the traffic would thin out after the Bang Na exit, but needed the toilet and on the radio the lady said the traffic was heavy all the way in. Once on the sky train it was confirmed no traffic after Bang na exit and no traffic in central BKK either.

To the OP question, just take a taxi if it is not rush hour- you will probably save about 50 baht getting the train and then MRT or taxi from Makkasan anyway. If you are coming next Sunday the train might be a better option.

Wow the airport link to asoke isn't smart at all cos that means a trip down to phayathai bts and from phayathai bts it's quite a long way to asoke. The shorter way is to get off at makkasan but to reach asoke bts from makkasan you need to take the mrt not the bts.

The correct ARL station name is actually Makkasan and the MRT is Petchaburi Station, but it is on Asoke:

Petchaburi Station is located at Asok-Petchaburi intersection along Asok-Din Daeng Road, - See more at: http://www.bangkokmrt.com/phetchaburi.html#sthash.Vk8yZqpc.dpuf

Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by asiaexpat

Depends when the journey takes place. I wouldn't want to take a taxi during rush hour. The train would take around 50 mins, the taxi could take a lot longer if traffic is bad. Do you really want to be stuck in a traffic jam for 2 hours after a long flight?

Plus, many people just would rather avoid taking taxis.

I'm arriving back in BKK on Monday morning 10am, will be going to my apartment in Dusit. Think the roads will be okay at that time of day?

how is it like carrying luggae from the airport taking the train all the way to hotel?

That's a question I even don't consider, luggage walking in 30C+???

No way, take taxi for 400B all in.

In 20 years flying 6x/year into Bangkok never spent more than 30 minutes from/to Airport.

Though I once sat in a taxi in front of my Sukhumvit hotel for 15 minutes without moving, a Friday at 17h.

Edited by tartempion

That people pay thousands for a flight and then agonise over a few baht for a taxi always amuses me.

Perhaps they might walk/cycle/row to get here.

I think like me, a lot of posters are not too concerned about how much the taxi's cost. there are a lot of taxi drivers in Bangkok who will scam you especially if they think you are a tourist. I will never use a taxi in Bangkok unless I have a Thai person with me I could write a book about cheating taxi drivers in Bangkok when I was a bit of a newbie when I first came to Thailand, including one who wanted 250 Baht from my hotel in Chinatown to Hualompong railway station. I had already paid less than 40 Baht for the journey in the opposite direction.

That people pay thousands for a flight and then agonise over a few baht for a taxi always amuses me.

Perhaps they might walk/cycle/row to get here.

For me, it's not about the money at all.

A few of the taxi rides I've taken to and from the airport have been white knuckle, sweat all over the seat, life flashing before my eyes experiences. Unfortunately, the Airport Limo I took once was even worse. The guy was doing 150 k/hr in downtown BKK, passing people left and right with a foot or so of clearance.

If the airport link is running, that's how I'm going to Swampy. How I get home depends on time of day and how much luggage I have. In neither case does money figure into the decision.

• Like 1

For anyone searching or curious, today a public taxi from the airport to Dusit cost me: 230 taxi fare, 125 toll-road fee, 50 second toll-road fee. 30 minutes on a Monday morning. No queue at the taxi rank either, very nice after a long flight :)

I imagine Asok would be slightly cheaper, although slower because of the traffic.

After 20 hours travelling... to gett the raillink and BTS, with a big bag, it would have been horrible.

Edited by celso

Tried the Airport Link once, won´t do it again, it´s a nightmare!

Crowded, walk too far with luggage, got off at Ramkhamhaeng, elevators not working, the place looked like ½ finished.

Had too walk down, result: Suitcase broken.

Down on the road, no taxistands, nothing, you are dumped right on the road, no sidewalk, just some construction going on as always, and you are in the way of workers, cementtrucks, motosai taxis, vendors and stuff, typical Bangkok.

Never again...

With the possible road chaos next week - the Airport Link train/MRT could be a good idea.

Luggage is easy for the first leg - Arrivals to Train - just use the moving walkway and go to the lowest floor.

At Makkasan there's a new footbridge to the MRT - but there's still steps down to the MRT before the escalators - so stay on the train to Payathai and get on the BTS.

- The BTS also does not have the silly luggage checks as on the MRT.

Then get off at Asoke BTS and it's not far to Soi 20. Use the walkway at Asoke and with a bit of luck you can walk over the protests then you can cut though the building connected to the walkway to use the escalators leaving only a short walk on the pavement.

It's doable - but if the roads are OK a taxi is simpler.

How far down Soi 20 is the hotel?

http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/images/area-map/E4_update.gif

http://www.bangkokmetro.co.th/map.aspx?Lang=En&Menu=8&Sid=8

http://www.bangkokmetro.co.th/map.aspx?Lang=En&Menu=8&Sid=7

It might be a bit simpler, although it might seem out of the way, to take the SARL (City Line or Express Line) all the way to Phaya Thai, and connect with the BTS (Sukhumvit Line, direction Bearing, to Asoke, station E4, then use exit #6 - note that you will have to carry your bag(s) down the stairs here. But a lot will depend on the time of day as boarding an in-bound BTS train at Phaya Thai during the AM commute is challenging. While there is a foot-bridge connecting the SARL/Makkasan to the Petchaburi MRT station, it is a long-ish walk, and the transition from the MRT (Sukhumvit station) up into the Asoke BTS station - to get over top exit #6 - can be challenging for first-timers. Also note that both the escalators between the street level and the mezzanine level of the BTS here become uni-directional at certain times of the day, so you may end up having to carry your bag(s) up and down at Asoke BTS.

By the time you factor in the dwell/wait/ticket purchase times, transitions between stations and the walk down Soi 20, a taxi direct from SBIA/BKK might end up being a bit quicker. Obviously during rainy season a taxi would be the driest option.

Only you know what your bag(s) are like to handle, what your physical condition is and where your hotel is, so it can be difficult for others to accurately gauge your challenges.

Usually use taxi from Swamperaband bus from DMK when going into Bangkok. I did try to use the airport link once recently. No problem if packing light from my perspective but MRT was a hassle due to bag checks.

I had a small rolling bag and a medium sized backpack. Kids in front of me however had large overstuffed backpacks. Probably took more than 15 minutes, as we had to totally unpack and repack our stuff.

Usually use taxi from Swamperaband bus from DMK when going into Bangkok. I did try to use the airport link once recently. No problem if packing light from my perspective but MRT was a hassle due to bag checks.I had a small rolling bag and a medium sized backpack. Kids in front of me however had large overstuffed backpacks. Probably took more than 15 minutes, as we had to totally unpack and repack our stuff.

It's really strange but many people say this to me. I always take the airport line to makkasan, express if possible, because I don't like taxis without seatbelts. When I go to the mrt it's just zip open zip closed in the air conditioned subway in a minute.

Do you mean the phraya Thai side to bts is slow?

Thanks for the info here guys and fyi i stayed in windor 1 day before new year's even, NYE and NYD then moved out into centrepoint at ploenchit. I took a limo to the hotel. I don't think i would want to take the bts with luggage nor the mrt too. I have honestly not seen too many ppl with luggae in tow inside bts nor mrt so it means they take a taxi from the airport link stations.