2014-recommended-tradesmen-services-travel-teachers-baby-sitters-pet-care-etc

Rooo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Car Battery

Excellent service from the shop opposite Jacks Bar, Maenam (within sight of Dan Auto which is on the same side as Jacks). They fitted a replacement battery in just 5 mins which was cheaper that the old one by THB 600. I managed to get jump-started in order to get there but they'll bring a battery & fit it locally (Maenam) if you're able to provide accurate directions. The phone no on their invoice is 077 247270 or 425594 Fax 430186.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

HI Guys,

Only a few days away from completing on a property in Bophut and require the services of a reputable painter and decorator. The property was previously tenanted and is in need of some tlc to bring it back to its former glory. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? The property is a single storey villa approx 150m2, i will require both the interior and exterior walls to be done to a high standard. if you can also give me a rough idea of what i should be expecting to pay that would be great!

Cheers

Can recommend a Scottish guy called Cammy, did a very good job on the exterior of our house last year, tel no. 0848500371

Thank you for your response, what sort of price can i expect to pay for such servics i presume it would be cheaper than in the UK?

Best wishes

Ryan

Can recommend a Scottish guy called Cammy, did a very good job on the exterior of our house last year, tel no. 0848500371

Thank you for your response, what sort of price can i expect to pay for such servics i presume it would be cheaper than in the UK?

Best wishes

Ryan

Really no one can give you a ballpark figure, it all depends on condition, size, price & type of paint etc........ Foreign contractors are usually much dearer then local guys from my experience & there are some very good local ones, usually the ones that do the work for the foreign contractor,. biggrin.png

PM sent.

Hello all,

Need some help with a plumber for a couple of small jobs, install water piping for washer and outside kitchen. Also need a water flow restrictor on my kitchen sinks, with the pump running the water gushes out.

Looking for a reputable plumber, doesn't need to speak English. Thanks everyone.

Cammy has been on samui for years , hes a good tradesman you wont go wrong with hes work.

Can anybody recommend someone for a small roofing job? Just need to have some sections of roofing renailed at leading edge where it is pulling up with the wind. It is an overhang so not a critical place for leaks but a two story roof. Also would like to put in a section of guttering, so probably a one day job for one good worker (and probably a helper). Happy to pay to better quality so nobody falls off or through roof!

Need someone to tile my condo , Looking for High Quality tiling service to main room kitchen and bathroom , what is the normal cost per sq meter to pay for a good tiler

any suggestions will be much appreciated thanks in advance !!

My Condo is in Samui near Fishermans Village

Edited by mossy1979

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend someone who can change the medium in a large water filter?

Was originally installed by the water people just past the temple in Maenam, but they are proving difficult to deal with say they are coming and don't show up etc. Vern nice couple though.

Have a friend who had a water filter installed by the water people just before Big C coming from Bophut.

But warned me off them because of poor service.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear! Not my lucky day!

Came in here expecting to see glowing tales of recommendation for dozens of small Thai building companies able to do all sorts of little jobs.

But everyone seems to be looking! Just like I am! There's not one Thai company (or man) listed.

I need a patch earth 12 feet by 12 dug out 40 cms deep and a concrete pad laying on it - that's all. Plus a low block wall around 3 sides for the rain to run away.

One farang company quoted me at 5,000B a day labour! One Thai company quoted me at 6,000B a day labour! What's going on!

Hey ho!

R

Came in here expecting to see glowing tales of recommendation for dozens of small Thai building companies able to do all sorts of little jobs.

But everyone seems to be looking! Just like I am! There's not one Thai company (or man) listed.

I need a patch earth 12 feet by 12 dug out 40 cms deep and a concrete pad laying on it - that's all. Plus a low block wall around 3 sides for the rain to run away.

One farang company quoted me at 5,000B a day labour! One Thai company quoted me at 6,000B a day labour! What's going on!

Hey ho!

R

Well Rob - welcome to the real world.

Thanks to the 300 baht a day minimum wage - there is no cheap labour anymore. There are a few reasons for this - but not relevent here.

So - most cheap labour comes from Myanmar. Almost all of the construction workers on Samui are Burmese. They are here either legally or illegaly. Lots of both.

Where there are good reliable Thai workers - they can choose the jobs that they do.

They can either pick one or two 'nice ones' (large job lots with good money) or they can pick the bits and pieces that you and I need. No prizes for guessing their preference.

When the big jobs dry up - they will turn towards the smaller ones BUT - they drop them in an instance when another big job appears on the horizon.

eg - a friend of mine wants a small wall built. He hires a builder that he has known for years to do the job. Said builder has no labourers so he hires the Burmese workers on the next site to do the job - after 5 pm!

• Like 1

Hey ho!

R

Thanks to the 300 baht a day minimum wage - there is no cheap labour anymore. There are a few reasons for this - but not relevent here.

So - most cheap labour comes from Myanmar. Almost all of the construction workers on Samui are Burmese. They are here either legally or illegaly. Lots of both.

Where there are good reliable Thai workers - they can choose the jobs that they do.

They can either pick one or two 'nice ones' (large job lots with good money) or they can pick the bits and pieces that you and I need. No prizes for guessing their preference.

When the big jobs dry up - they will turn towards the smaller ones BUT - they drop them in an instance when another big job appears on the horizon.

eg - a friend of mine wants a small wall built. He hires a builder that he has known for years to do the job. Said builder has no labourers so he hires the Burmese workers on the next site to do the job - after 5 pm!

Well - yes! Yes please! That is exactly what I was hoping to find!

But did you note what I was being quoted? Never mind 300 baht a day - I was being expected to fork out 2,500B a day each for 2 Thai workers! 10K baht labour for 2 guys for 2 days!

(And these are youths who turned up on a motorbike - no truck/pickup to cart stuff about - and then also expected me to have all the materials bought and ready waiting for them when they turned up!!!!!!!) Not to mention they dropped the price from 15K for 2 days when I said WHAAAAAAT?!

I'd be delighted to get it for 300 baht a day per person if I could! I'd happily pay 1000B per person per day.

That's why I was whinging I fink U musta missed the point. 2.5K a day is not on for unskilled labour.

Got any friends with builders with Burmese workers knocking about??

R

Edited by robsamui

Hey ho!

R

But did you note what I was being quoted? Never mind 300 baht a day - I was being expected to fork out 2,500B a day each for 2 Thai workers! 10K baht labour for 2 guys for 2 days!

(And these are youths who turned up on a motorbike - no truck/pickup to cart stuff about - and then also expected me to have all the materials bought and ready waiting for them when they turned up!!!!!!!) Not to mention they dropped the price from 15K for 2 days when I said WHAAAAAAT?!

I'd be delighted to get it for 300 baht a day per person if I could! I'd happily pay 1000B per person per day.

That's why I was whinging I fink U musta missed the point. 2.5K a day is not on for unskilled labour.

R

Seems to be a lot of building going on around the island, so any good / reliable help will be hard to find...at the moment..... Tropo summed it up quite nicely.... ^

It's not unusual to have to get your own materials needed for the job.... just go to Home Mart and they will deliver what you need.... Cement, blocks etc...

You mentioned once there were "camps" around your home, perhaps try asking there.... ? Maybe some can do on their day off! ?wink.png

You'll need to supervise though... are you up to that? whistling.gif

Hey ho!

R

R

Seems to be a lot of building going on around the island, so any good / reliable help will be hard to find...at the moment..... Tropo summed it up quite nicely.... ^

It's not unusual to have to get your own materials needed for the job.... just go to Home Mart and they will deliver what you need.... Cement, blocks etc...

You mentioned once there were "camps" around your home, perhaps try asking there.... ? Maybe some can do on their day off! ?wink.png

You'll need to supervise though... are you up to that? whistling.gif

Thanks for this, Jimbo. It was probably just the push I needed. I shall cast my net upon the local waters once more.

Am I up to supervising kids with shovels and bricks? I spent 22 years as a career teacher - what do you think!

R

• 2 weeks later...

Eye Doctor Nathon, some one PM'd me to get this... so I'll re-post post for the benefit of all who might need...

Best to phone for an appointment!

SAM_2714.JPG

Signs only in Thai... the English sign must have blown down! The Doctor and his wife's English is OK!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are looking for a local mover to move a bedroom set, & air con unit from near grandmother grandfather rock to Huathanon. The distance is 4 or 5 kilometers at the most. Any help would be appreciated.

You can hire a pickup with driver which can transport everything for you.

I can ask for numbers if you like.

He will be there Thursday and give us a quote on moving the stuff. Thanks a lot Mole.