Thai minister lashes out at Democrats, election opponents

webfact

Varathep was banned from politics by the Supreme Court on September 30, 2009 and received a two-year suspended sentence in a corruption case involving the two- and three-digit lottery during his term as deputy finance minister.

He is convicted of corruption!
For criminals lifetime ban, no access to public service aka public state money anymore!
There are so many criminals on electoral lists, it is incredible.
No wonder that there are always riots, when criminals run the country!

Many many people are feed up with this "shit"!

No criminals in parlament anymore!

I hope the head of the state, the courts, the army, the CC, the NACC, the EC and honest people can clean up this mess.

Criminals belong in jail, and not in the government or parliament.

If elections, then without the criminals.

Especially those who were convicted by crimes or corruption,
and all this guys running around on bail (some since 12 years or more),
and all condemned as corrupt
and all they were banned from parliament already. The barrier of five years ban is "shit", a failing.
and all listed in one or more of the 25000 pending corruption cases.
Edited by tomacht8

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should have been all over when the Senate blocked the passing of the Amnesty Bill, and the dems sponsored rally supporters should have all gone home.

Easy.

Instead it was whipped up into a amnesty blocking/preah vihear whinging/anti corruption/anti democracy/anti thaksin/UDD/yingluck/PTP hatefest by suthep and his well heeled backers.

And we should just have accepted their word for not bringing the bill back in 180 days??whistling.gifattachicon.giffingers-crossed.jpg

regards bringing back the bill.

Well if they did then that would be the time to protest, not because you think they may!!!

But yellow shirt farangs wub.png don't see this, eye trouble, maybe.

When it became known that the Pheu Thai led commision which had to review the 'amnesty bill' after the first reading had changed it into a 'blanket amnesty bill', protests started. The government pushed through the bill with two readings and two votes in slightly more than 24 hours. Around that time the PM ensured us that there was still a lot of procedure to follow, so please go home and wait. If the protests had stopped the Senate could have rightly concluded 'no one protests, so OK'.

So, say again, when is the time to protest?

Protest noted, go home. Is that too hard? coffee1.gif

Varathep was banned from politics by the Supreme Court on September 30, 2009 and received a two-year suspended sentence in a corruption case involving the two- and three-digit lottery during his term as deputy finance minister.

For criminals lifetime ban, no access to public service aka public state money anymore!

I hope the head of the state, the courts, the army, the CC, the NACC, the EC and honest people can clean up this mess.

and all they were banned from parliament already. The barrier of five years ban is "shit", a failing.

You are right my friend, but this will continue and there isn't much one can do.

At the same time this makes me feel alive in Asia, seeing the struggle that goes on.

It's the opposite of the western world.coffee1.gif Thank god!

She said she couldn't cancel the bill because it had gone to the senate, but she cancelled all the other amnesty bills that weren't going anywhere anyway. Once the main amnesty bill came back from the senate as rejected, there is nothing she could do about it for 180 days. It can't go to the lower house to be killed.

Besides that, what was Yingluck going to offer that Suthep could have accepted? Yingluck wants a whitewashed Thaksin home. Suthep wants them all out of politics. How can either of them compromise?

Yingluck has always talked about reconciliation. How is anything she has done even remotely related to reconciliation?

You don't have to tell me about Yingluck being a crook.

In emergencies, emergency measures and emergency dialogue must be made a priority.

The alternative to dialogue is blood in the streets. With violent repercussions for decades.

You are right my friend, but this will continue and there isn't much one can do.

At the same time this makes me feel alive in Asia, seeing the struggle that goes on.

It's the opposite of the western world.coffee1.gif Thank god!

Many many Thais want to see all corrupt politicians and civil servants to be prosecuted in court and sentenced to heavy jail sentences

and their illegally acquired assets seized, then a ban for life as politicians or civil servants in the Thai administration.

That would make me more feel alive, as to see them struggle ( for many years more).

To be fair the lies, innuendo, half truths and spin are not reserved solely for Thai elections, some of the rhetoric and drivel spouted during the recent Australian election puts anything said in Thailand in the shade. Some of the comments made by senior members, of what is now the new government, were strictly shameful and unworthy of what we consider to be a 1st class democracy.

What stands Thailand apart is the unsavory (choosing my words carefully here) side of the political system, what other developing country in the world would allow the governing party to be remotely controlled from abroad? I have no idea how this present situation can be resolved, the ruling party seems content to play the numbers game, no matter what the cost to the economy. The opposition seems driven by ego with no indication that is can "guide" the country into a new and modern era should it miraculously win power.

Democracy itself needs to be nurtured and developed, it is not a naturally recurring entity. If the conditions for this to happen are not currently present then a caretaker solution may be required, abhorrent though it may be a government with uniforms may not be a bad thing.

Obviously you are a disgruntled Labor or Greens voter from Australia. Your mob lost the election because they were a chaotic, untrustworthy, shambolic, left wing union friendly, unpopular, childish, excuse for a government, and were rightly punished. Most of the drivel I heard seems to have been from that [previous] Government [including Greens]. Get over it...

How you can compare the situation in Australia to here is beyond me, and I suspect many others.

Actually, I agree with your comments about politics here..

Maybe you should have stuck to just those.

For a start they are not "my mob" and never have been, you on the other hand appear to be a myopic conservative with an inbuilt hatred of unions. Any intelligent person knows that there is a place for them in any democratic and well managed society, Germany is a great example where many of the larger companies have a union representative on the board, from memory it hasn't done them any harm! (I suspect some of those "many others" you mention might agree with me)

The lies that the Liberals touted through Mr. Murdoch's media are now coming home to roost, Tony Abbots government is now showing poll figures not seen for nearly forty years. The benchmark 100 days in power and more backflips and policy mistakes than most people can remember, rarely has a new government performed so badly, but you won't see it that way as I don't believe you are capable of an objective view.

As for comparing the situation in Australia to Thailand I suggest you read my post again, at no point is that what was said. What I did say was that lies, innuendo, half truths and spin were not reserved exclusively for Thailand. It seems that the population of Australia are now seeing through the negative, shallow, well managed lies, innuendo, half truths and spin that was put out there by Mr. Abbott and associates.

I personally have nothing to get over, you on the other hand should take a pill...

• Like 1

Whatever your political leanings or preferences may be regarding Thai politics the fact remains that a regional minority allied to the old guard ruling elite are trying to depose an elected government, and put themselves back in power after failing to win an election themselves since the 1990s.

It isn't a democratic action and anyone who thinks it is a step towards a democratic Thailand is simply deluding themselves.

• Like 1

Yes, the government admitted that they were wrong in trying to push through an amnesty bill that would have absolved Abhisit and his cronies of alleged involvement in the slaughter of dozens of opposition protesters.

Let's hope that, in the absence of a blanket amnesty,he will still be held account for his alleged orders to murder unarmed citizens

... as you say "alleged involvement in the slaughter of dozens of opposition protesters" ...and "alleged orders to murder unarmed citizens"...

1. You need to do better than allege something to make it fact.

2. Unarmed citizens? Is your memory that short?

The government never admitted that it was wrong about anything, and they have not yet finished with the Amnesty Bill. In the knowledge that such trumped up charges could not be made to stick, Abhisit was very happy to refuse any inclusion in the proposed bill and this helped to derail the government's shenanigans.

Reforms must come first in order to clean up the political system here ... then you can have free and fair elections...!!

• Like 1

Maybe the dear minister needs to do a little homework??whistling.gif

The Democrats and PDRC are not the same!!

You should do your homework. Suthep is a democrat.

Suthep is no longer a Democrat. He resigned from the party.

Sent from my phone ...

well we actually agree! "Suthep is no longer a Democrat"

well done thumbsup.gif

Maybe the dear minister needs to do a little homework??whistling.gif

The Democrats and PDRC are not the same!!

You should do your homework. Suthep is a democrat.

Suthep is no longer a Democrat. He resigned from the party.

Sent from my phone ...

well we actually agree! "Suthep is no longer a Democrat"

well done thumbsup.gif

It's interesting to see that you think that he WAS a democrat.

Sent from my phone ...

• Like 1

Part of the problem is the naivete of the Thai people. Suthep is doing a classic bait and switch tactic. He is saying this is about the Shinawatra family and/or the corruption in the current government.

And, while there is truth in some of what he says the reality is he is trying to seize that power for himself and to do away with any chance of democracy taking root in Thailand.

If he were really for the Thai people he would encourage voting and then campaign for a victory of his ideas.

But, he knows he would lose so best to deny the populace a chance to choose which corrupt politician they prefer.

• Like 1

Indeed, in her brother's Cabinet the sleazy former Deputy Finance Minister Varathep had the ministry panel overseeing charity projects under the Government Lottery Office, to issue a 30 Million Baht check to the "Association of the Constitution for People", whose activities have nothing to do with charity.

Now, in Yingluck's Cabinet as her PM Minister, Varathep wants to lecture others on good goverance.

:blink:

The TRT/PPP/PTP Clown Show rolls on.

Edited by Maha Sarakham Marty
  • Like 1

For the good of the country two things need to happen. The 'caretaker' government need to implement some reforms and then the Dems need to contest the elections on Feb 2. It's a tall order but if our parliamentarians on all sides really love Thailand they should be prepared to do it or else get off the pot.

Actually only one thing needs to happen 'Ban all political parties for the next 2 years as a cooling off period' this can only be achieved by one method, i think u all know what i mean.

A game of Twister between Suthep and Chalerm?

Or they could stick Sooty and Tacky in jail together and make a reality show called 'I'm a dictator get me out of here.' smile.png

For all the criticism, demonstrations, and obstruction the Democrats have made of the registration and election process, and to the Government's insistence on seeing the election process proceeding, is there any doubt that if it was Suthep's Government instead that he would use every violent means available to conduct the elections? And blame any injuries on the opposition? I think so.

The situation at the polls has nothing to do with being a democrat or lying for that matter. It's about ending a decade old battle of corruption between two self serving factions. What does one say at this point? "Good luck! and may the most corrupt win!"

Amen. If I had a magic wand and was asked to try to fix this mess I would do three things.

1. Ban all the leaders of all parties from politics for life.

2. Put all the people from both sides who should be in jail in jail, including corrupt judges.

3. Search for honest people in the civil service and academia (I know they are there) to draft a real constitution and run for office and also staff the judiciary.

Short of this type of complete housecleaning I think Local Drunk has it right.

• Like 1

Indeed, in her brother's Cabinet the sleazy former Deputy Finance Minister Varathep had the ministry panel overseeing charity projects under the Government Lottery Office, to issue a 30 Million Baht check to the "Association of the Constitution for People", whose activities have nothing to do with charity.

Now, in Yingluck's Cabinet as her PM Minister, Varathep wants to lecture others on good goverance.

:blink:

But apparently this is ok, because at least the Shinawatra Party are not "elite" and are democratically elected ! clap2.gif

blink.png

What 3 letters should they pick next time? KKK?