Why can't I buy another notebook computer?

thaibeachlovers

No shops are selling them where I live. I just want a small computer for when I'm travelling.

I checked out those tablet things, but there's no keyboard and I like to edit photos on my computer. I can't even see a way to plug one into a computer- no usb.

Does anyone know if they still sell notebooks in Chiang Mai, and if so, where?

Thanks.

Notebooks seem to have gone out of style.

You could get a tablet and a bluetooth keyboard. Most tablets do have (small format) USB sockets for which a cable is readily available and you can also use something like MyPhoneExplorer to transfer files wirelessly.

Hard to believe there are no shops selling laptops in Chiang mai. Have you looked in Tesco or Big C? Every larger branch I've been always has at least a few HP or Acer models on display. Tablets can be connected to a PC. Most don't have a standard USB slot but instead have a micro USB port on the tablet which you use to connect to a computer USB port.

Hard to believe there are no shops selling laptops in Chiang mai. Have you looked in Tesco or Big C? Every larger branch I've been always has at least a few HP or Acer models on display. Tablets can be connected to a PC. Most don't have a standard USB slot but instead have a micro USB port on the tablet which you use to connect to a computer USB port.

I don't live in C M. I have to make a trip there on the songtheaws, so I wanted to know if there was a place that was definitely selling them before going.

Thanks for replies.

Before there were plenty of netbboks available, now there only seems to be

13 inch and up,which are too large to use for traveling,so i had to buy a

11 inch Acer off Ebay uk ,had it delivered to my daughters and she will

bring it in February.

regards worgeordie

OP.. are you asking about netbooks (generally no dvd drive and 7-10inch screen_ or are you talking about notebook/laptop computers (generally 12-14 inch screen)

if laptops then every main Tesco lotus have a reasonable range starting from about 10k. some also have a netbook as well. but they are few.. i've had 2 netbooks a 7 and a 10. the 10 the gf is using.. the 7 dissapeared in the family, not sure if still being used.. personally a reasonable size laptop with decent hard drive and ram beats them hands down.

here is something that may be ok.. still no dvd drive but at least small and fairly light and decent price at 10k.

http://www.lazada.co.th/x202e-ct033h-136231.html

or for 3 times the price BUT excellent quality is the 11 inch macbook

http://www.lazada.co.th/apple-macbook-air-11-inch-13ghz-128gb-107062.html

Edited by casualbiker

Almost a year ago Acer and Asus both announced they'd stop making netbooks (which is what I suspect the OP is referring to - rather than notebook computers, a.k.a. laptops). Given the popularity of tablets there was simply too small a market for them. Anything you find now will probably be old stock.

OP.. are you asking about netbooks (generally no dvd drive and 7-10inch screen_ or are you talking about notebook/laptop computers (generally 12-14 inch screen)

if laptops then every main Tesco lotus have a reasonable range starting from about 10k. some also have a netbook as well. but they are few.. i've had 2 netbooks a 7 and a 10. the 10 the gf is using.. the 7 dissapeared in the family, not sure if still being used.. personally a reasonable size laptop with decent hard drive and ram beats them hands down.

here is something that may be ok.. still no dvd drive but at least small and fairly light and decent price at 10k.

http://www.lazada.co.th/x202e-ct033h-136231.html

or for 3 times the price BUT excellent quality is the 11 inch macbook

http://www.lazada.co.th/apple-macbook-air-11-inch-13ghz-128gb-107062.html

I may have the terminology wrong, ( who can keep up? ), but I do mean the very small computers with no dvd drive. Ideal for travelling. They have 3 usb ports, so when at home I can plug in a mouse and a keyboard ( I hate using those stupid touch pads, and the keyboards are too small for me ) and there is a port for a connection to a large screen. Plug in an external dvd drive and it's as good as a full size computer. However, these tablet things, how can I do all that out of one port?

As an aside, I asked ( via my wife ) a staff member in Big C how many gigabytes the tablet is, and he didn't know. Do those staff know anything about what they are selling? I think not.

Thanks for the additional replies.

Asus and Samsung still have 11" laptops but they aren't necessarily budget priced. Have you tried any of the second hand places or looked online? Netbooks like Toshiba and Samsung were as cheap as 8000 baht last year so with tablets and smart phones taking over the universe there should be plenty of unloved netbooks looking for new homes. With a tablet you can connect a keyboard or mouse with Bluetooth, and some even have mini HDMI for connecting to a TV. You have to be lucky to find a staff member at Tesco or BigC who knows much about computers. Anyone who does is probably working in a real computer shop, not Tesco. You are best off writing down the model numbers of anything you find interesting and doing your own research online for specs and reviews and draw up a short list.

On the North side of the moat (CM) there are a couple (at least 3) computer malls which host many small and mid-sized electronic outlets of all kinds. Also used computers and accessories. There are some treasure chests.

Just saw a nice Asus unit in Tesco.. i think it was this one,, 11.6 inch touch screen. 14,999baht

http://www.asus.com/th/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_VivoBook_X202E/

Thanks for the info, however, a larger laptop is available much cheaper than that. I just want a cheapy for travelling, and my Advent is dying on me.

I may be forced, however unwillingly to the tablet side.

I don't live in C M. I have to make a trip there on the songtheaws, so I wanted to know if there was a place that was definitely selling them before going.

Thanks for replies.

How long have you been living out in the sticks? I cannot get my head around this thread? It's like asking if they sell televisions in town? Of course they sell laptops in virtually any modern mall. Get on the songtheaw and buy a good laptop carrying bag so it doesn't get too bashed around heading back home :-)

Just saw a nice Asus unit in Tesco.. i think it was this one,, 11.6 inch touch screen. 14,999baht

Thanks for the info, however, a larger laptop is available much cheaper than that. I just want a cheapy for travelling, and my Advent is dying on me.

just went into another Tesco today and they had the same one for 9,999.. is that cheap enough... what do you want small or cheap.. if cheap then there are MANY 14" laptops for 8999 up.. if small your limited.. go and check out your nearest Tesco.. if you get a tablet then there are some 8-9" windows tablets for 10-14 k.. personally i would get the Asus.

And i very well might for the Gf to replace the old 10" inch one she has.

Thanks for replies.

How long have you been living out in the sticks? I cannot get my head around this thread? It's like asking if they sell televisions in town? Of course they sell laptops in virtually any modern mall. Get on the songtheaw and buy a good laptop carrying bag so it doesn't get too bashed around heading back home :-)

Have you not read any of the responses? They don't sell 10 to 11 inch screen computers anymore in the big places. I wanted to know if they do sell them somewhere in C M before making the journey.

just went into another Tesco today and they had the same one for 9,999.. is that cheap enough... what do you want small or cheap.. if cheap then there are MANY 14" laptops for 8999 up.. if small your limited.. go and check out your nearest Tesco.. if you get a tablet then there are some 8-9" windows tablets for 10-14 k.. personally i would get the Asus.

And i very well might for the Gf to replace the old 10" inch one she has.

Yes, that's about right on price thanks. I need small, but not at Apple prices.

14 inch is too big. Plenty of them around here too.