Thai banks, do they know something I don't?

A few weeks ago I had a little rant, in an ongoing topic, over Krung Sri [Exchange] not accepting any foreign notes with a little scribble on. Yesterday staff at my local SCB initially rejected a £50 note because it had a 1 cm tear in it; more than happy to accept the £950 though.

As has often happened, I do the ole 'Obey 1 Kanobie' (not a huge star-wars fan, so probably spelled wrong), and wave my hand saying "you will take it, everything is OK". The cashier refers it to a colleague...same scenario. I then call for the manager. Cutting the manager off just before she [verbally] supports her underlings, I tell her that if she is in fact 'management' she should know the criteria of valid and invalid notes. She said "if it was Thai money it would be OK, but Farang money, I don't know". I pointed out that it's fine because it had all the 'important' bits, and was in fact 100% complete (30% more than is necessary).

Now normally I refuse to give them my address [for anything], of course in the 'Obey 1' styli, but this woman thought out-of-the-box and said "OK we'll do it, but are you prepared to give me your address and number in case there is a problem?" Sure, I get that. I also pointed at my condo building as it's a stone's throw from the branch.

What do I expect to achieve out of posting this topic? I would really like to hear some logical reason (other than it's up to them, staff can't be expected to know everything, or GO HOME IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT), that perhaps I've missed, as to why it's perfectly acceptable for Thai banks to be so choosy. Especially when I am often handed Thai notes that look like they've been through a meat grinder (even from banks).

I always believed I knew roughly the criteria the Bank of England holds on valid currency/notes, and have also researched it to find it's correct. Am I missing something here, do the rules change when the money is offshore?

Happy New Year to all

• Like 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the note to the "main" bank office in what ever town you are in. Give that a shot. Yes, they are "very picky". As far as their money, its self explanatory don't you think?

...you mean waste more time? I have written to a number of establishments over the years, never had anything credible in return. Nah, these days I prefer to spend short spells on TV, often a similar waste of time, but at least it can also raise a giggle on occasion.

RE "...their money...". I grasp your point, but I would also expect their own rulings on validity are somewhat similar to most countries...it's not like they developed their banking system all by themselves now. On a precariously related note, with royalty being so revered, scribble and damage to a [Thai] note doesn't seem to even raise an eyebrow. I know I get quite rattled when immigration 'staples' arrival cards in my passport (passport owned by my very own monarchy), especially since I always provide a paper-clip.

• Like 1

I have found that over the last year or so they have become more selective in what notes they will / will not accept based on condition of the note.

Indonesia I have found to be even more selective and almost want NEW notes, specifically USD currency.

The last time I changed English currency they would not accept the 5 pound notes, only the 10, 20 and 50. I also had a problem with a 10 pound note that also had been writen on and they would not accept it where I lived at any bank so I gave it to my sister in-law to take to BKK and it was accepted with no problems. I guess where I live they do not often see foreign currency so where not willing to take the chance, but BKK should be used to seeing all types and kinds of currency as it is the Hub of whatever.

• Like 1

???? "...you mean waste more time?"

You sorta did that in your original post didn't you? And in the following replies...too. Have a good day.

Thanks for your constructive input. thumbsup.gif

However, you may wish to read it again. Replies like this make TV so much more entertaining than futile letters to [Thai] officialdom.

Happy New Year

The last time I changed English currency they would not accept the 5 pound notes, only the 10, 20 and 50. I also had a problem with a 10 pound note that also had been writen on and they would not accept it where I lived at any bank so I gave it to my sister in-law to take to BKK and it was accepted with no problems. I guess where I live they do not often see foreign currency so where not willing to take the chance, but BKK should be used to seeing all types and kinds of currency as it is the Hub of whatever.

As I, too, would have thought. BTW, I'm in Bkk. blink.png

Put it down as a learning experience. Make sure you go to the bank to gt your cash in your own country and DON"T accept scribbled on ones.

Would the Bof Eng accept scribbled on Thai currency?

Good input, thanks.

The only possible issue there is that £50 notes don't appear to be carried in abundance by most high street banks, thus one needs to order them in advance. If the recipient were to scrutinize each and every note, they could find they leave with only half the intended amount. Good point though.

Your question...I've not tried it, so perhaps will do next time.

When i first came here 23 years ago and for quite some time ,NO bank would accept ANY note that was written on ot torn ,no matter from where

Totally get that, but 23 years later, should they not have opened their minds n have the facts on what is valid...?

Thai banks or any other non-UK banks are perfectly within their right not to accept defaced UK banknotes as a matter of policy. If you don't like it, you can "take your custom elsewhere" or return the note to the Bank of England or any UK bank who will take it provided the serial numbers are still visible. The Bank of England or UK bank will credit your UK bank a/c. Is it a pain? Yes. Is it a well-known policy? Yes. Have you got a leg to stand on? No.

Whatever you do, don't go to Indonesia or, as Simon pointed out, God forbid, Myanmar, you will bust a blood vessel. They only like brand spanking new foreign notes.

• Like 1

I had a load of cash which I changed ok at the bank except for a few ten-pound notes that had marks on them. My girlfriend took them and stuffed them down her bra. Later on she surprised me by giving me a handful of baht of about the right amount. Good girl.

• Like 1

One of the Thai Bank's foreign exchange booths at BKK Airport refused to accept 2 X $100 Australian notes (which had been withdrawn at a airport ATM in Australia) because the notes were not perfect and had some very slight tears. The reason given was that they could not sell these notes to someone wanting to buy $A.

During my youth I worked as a bank teller in Australia. Whilst any notes showing the 2 duplicated serial numbers were accepted, at the end of the day any torn, written on or too crumpled notes were taken out and recorded as "mutilated", and were subsequently withdrawn and replaced by new notes by the central bank. I do not know what banks do now.

• Like 1

I have to wonder how long you've been here. You actually answered your own question but you don't want that answer - you cannot expect them to know everything. You were lucky to get a straight answer when she said she did not know. It's far more common for a local to make up an answer than to say "I don't know." And if you have trouble with those staples in your passport I also have to wonder how long you'll last here. I mean no disrespect - it's just my opinion.

They can be as choosy as they want they take the risk for it to be rejected or being fake. I don't see the problem at all if i were dealing with foreign currencies id be extra careful too. My own currency that is a different story.

Anyway shows me again why cash money is a bother and bank transfers work better.

I have to agree with 'robblok' even though I think the banks are a bit anal on this issue.

It didn't take me long, when I was visiting here, to make sure I brought over pristine notes and I never had one rejected because of it. Now the bank tellers at home can't take the time to choose good notes for you, so I would get a few thousand more than I needed, go home, go over them pulling out the very best and take the rest back to re-deposit. Didn't bother me in the least doing this. My sole aim was to make sure I had no hassels over here when exchanging them.

You think that's bad?

Try using USD notes in Myanmar.

When I worked there last year and was paid in USD, I used to have to iron every note before trying to use it. Any slightest imperfection, even just a ballpoint pen dot, and the note was rejected.

Simon

...and if I try to buy a USD10 note here in Huahin to do my Ranong visa run I have to act pretty quickly to stop the Thai bank stamping it with their own little red rubber stamp before they give oit to me.

• Like 2

Banks send damaged currency back to the central banking of their perspective countries and that currency is exchanged for new one.

It is very difficult for a Thai bank to send damaged US currency back to the US to be exchanged for new,

So when they are offered damaged US currency they are reluctant to accept it