Why Cant I Use True Adsl With My Mac?

sundevil

I was just trying to sign up for true adsl serive at my home and was just about to get registered when the girl at th desk says that it is not compatible with Mac (in my case 12" Ibook G4). I have never heard this before and decided to look through the application and sure enough, it says you cannot use it with Mac. Does anyone know why this is and how can I get around it? IS it simply because the modem they give me is not compatible and I need to get different modem? I'd like to get hooked up (with adsl and IPTV). Any ideas?

Yep, the modem is Windows-only. You can, however, get a Mac-compatible modem (usually ethernet), or just simply buy a adsl-modem-router. These can be hooked up to your mac via ethernet (Lan) or wireless (airport).

So, let me get this straight. It seems like the modems work with mac, but true is really saying that they don't in case there is technical problems. They don't have the knowledge to assist with the Mac's, but the modems work. Is this the case? Or do I have to buy a specific modem?

The modems that come with the normal packages are USB ADSL modems. Now, by nature, USB modems are very platform/OS specific, especially the cheap ones that they usually bundle as freebies. Therefore, it is most likely that the modem you'll get WILL NOT WORK with your mac, but there is a chance that it will. However, even if it could work, True does not supply the proper drivers.

What most people do is buy an router (ethernet or WiFi) that has an ADSL modem built-in (you can't use a simple "cable modem router"). Costs around 2000-3000 baht, or you could ask True if they can provide one (they do for the more expensive packages). Routers are OS-independent, so they work with pretty much all typical computers that can do standard networking, including the mac.

After you get the Mac-compatible router, you'll probably need True's technical expertise to set it up - thry did it for me for THB500. Now the strange part: the ADSL router/modem will work with the Mac AND Windows, without any problems. I use the hardware for both my Mac and Dell.