What's getting better / worse for the foreigners in Thailand in the last five years.

retiredat50

I first came to Thailand in 1973. Back then, the people were infinitely more friendly,So, right off the top of my head, I would say that the attitude is very much worse. As far as what's better, maybe more places are air conditioned, taxis have meters and there are BTS and MRT now.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t worry about it. Just sit back and watch what unfolds before you. No one has a crystal ball and there is nothing we can do to change it, so just find a way to enjoy your life and don’t sweat the small stuff. At least that is my view after living here for 36 years.

Oh, and I have been living here since the 70s and I have no desire to go back in time. I don’t get the whole nostalgia crowd and there longing for the good old days. Right now is just fine with me and always has been.smile.png

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 2

Development that hasn't been planned properly, littering/ garbage disposal, the level and amount of corruption.

All getting worse, not really sure what is getting better, the amount of choice i suppose. Also communication

by cell and INTERNET. coffee1.gif

I first came to Thailand in 1973. Back then, the people were infinitely more friendly,So, right off the top of my head, I would say that the attitude is very much worse. As far as what's better, maybe more places are air conditioned, taxis have meters and there are BTS and MRT now.

Sir

In 1973 most countries in the world were nicer,less crime,mummies looked after the kids, daddy was the bread winner, need i continue ???

Bit off on our dates are we?

post-187908-0-19574600-1388553528_thumb.

• Like 1

I remember in the mid 80's, it was a bitch to get around. Now not so much.. BTS, MRT, better taxi's, better buses. Better highways etc.

i wonder if those poeple waiting to get a bus at mo-chit bus station would agree with you after being caught up in what reporters call a scuffle [3KILLED]

I love the new shopping malls in Chiang Mai. Lots of places to shop and eat. It's also spreading out the traffic in the city. Now people don't just go to airport plaza, they go to Promenada, Central Festival or one of the new shopping or entertainment destinations in the city. I think the variety spread out in the city actually reduces traffic in one area and increasing it in others. However, it's more evenly distributed instead of one side being empty and another being totally swamped. While I hated Promenada when it first opened, It's very pleasurable to go there for specific items such as eat at Dukes, shop at Chi Chang Computer, see a movie or go to Toys Are Us.

New international standard moo bahns means the houses you buy in Chiang Mai now are just as good, if not better than houses in the west. True, it's not cheap, but it is nice. I have everything here now that I had in the west without the graffiti and gangs. Satellite TV, high speed internet, roaming security guards, and a cleaning service that goes around cleaning the neighborhood are some of the benefits to the new moo bahns.

International education options seem to be increasing. Various schools in Chiang Mai are adding international programs to their curriculum. Varee has a beautiful new annex to their school teaching IGCSE and A-levels. Other schools are considering programs such as Yuppart.

I do agree about the traffic growing excessively large. I hope find a solution for that soon. I don't even go to the CMU side of town because of it. I refer to this area as the black hole of Chiang Mai.

Other than that, I love living in Chiang Mai. It's a great city to live in.

I fully and entirely agree. I have been living in CM for some 5 years now and I think it can favourably compete wit most cities in the West. The quality of life here is unbeatable

• Like 1

The ,most significant change over the past five years, is that I am now five years older, which is not all good ! Next five years ? - if I survive them and remain reasonably healthy, that will be marvelous.

I can't even begin to describe the changes since I first lived in Thailand ( Udon Thani) in 1968. It's like a time warp.