Why do Monks do that?...

krisb

Here's what I know about Monks so far..

They live in their respective temples/wat's, usually close to their family home, I think?

They only eat 2 times a day, not sure why?

They can't touch females

No alcohol

They worship Buddha

They don't practice Kung-<deleted> in Thailand but the Chinese monks do?

Something about covering and uncovering a shoulder around Buddha statues?

Honestly that's about it!..Bit sad really but I know very little about these guys.

So what do you know about them? Not hard to know much more than me I think but I would like to learn why they do the things they do for a better understanding, and respectively without going into the teachings of Buddha.wai.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For foreigner info, most thai people know little to nothing about teachings of Buddha, but are certainly accustomed to the superstitious influence of Buddhism as a religion that has been damaged by society.

Mostly it's about gathering money from people trained to be superstitious, and for a large part, it's about people who need a "break" from life's usual difficulties and spend time at a temple with no particular stressors. When they finish, they typically go right back to previous situation.

This I know by direct observation of many acquaintances and conversations with the corresponding people.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

I see the OP knows little about the reasons or the customs. Do a little mor research before you post your opinions.

Questions, not opinions.

Unlike your weak opinion, my question is valid.

Nice pic btw!...very Thai!cheesy.gif

• Like 2

I read in a certain Pattaya English newspaper last week that there are more than 1 million monks. in Thailand

That must be around 4% of the Thai adult population.all depending on food and handouts from the rest of society.

No different really to the unemployed in European countries getting handouts from the social security in their countries. You pay up front or you pay through your taxes!

• Like 2

For foreigner info, most thai people know little to nothing about teachings of Buddha, but are certainly accustomed to the superstitious influence of Buddhism as a religion that has been damaged by society. Mostly it's about gathering money from people trained to be superstitious, and for a large part, it's about people who need a "break" from life's usual difficulties and spend time at a temple with no particular stressors. When they finish, they typically go right back to previous situation. This I know by direct observation of many acquaintances and conversations with the corresponding people. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Theravada Buddhism isn't "superstitious".

You're confusing it with animism, which Buddhism supposedly replaced, but still has an influence here among many people.

some more facts:

they have reserved seating on public transport

if they are not at their temple, you can usually find them at Panthip plaza

some wear Ray Ban sunglasses

they are bald

that's all I know...

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Like 1

Not sure I can remember the exact thing but i had a little amulet given to me long time ago which i kept and still have.

When a few different Thai people have seen it and they have said its the Monk (not sure, think its like a boss Monk) about wealth/money.

This lead me to believe, answering the OP that different amulets / monks give hope for different things....money/wealth/health/hope/happiness etc...

Don't if this applies to larger temples around the country.

• Like 1

I see the OP knows little about the reasons or the customs. Do a little mor research before you post your opinions.

Yes, it does seem that flaunting one's ignorance in an attempt to trivialize what you don't comprehend ought not to be considered a triumph of intellect.

When_Did_Ignorance_Become_A_Point_Of_Vie

It does seem that Thai Buddhism bashing is becoming quite popular here at the hub of the brain dead, despite the forum rules.

Hmm, the only bashing here is you having a shot at me. I think I know what has agitated you, wasn't hard to work out and winning's not everything.

Better luck next year heywink.png

• Like 2

Personally, I don't think a Pattaya forum targeted for foreigners is the place to ask these questions, or make the comments made.

Why not?. Asking questions is the way to learn, which sadly Thai schools don't encourage!

And I appreciate the way you think!

Learning some interesting Monk facts is interesting and cool imo.

Nothing at all to do with having a go at Buddhism or Monks.

@Pattaya28

this forum is far far from Pattaya only.

I allways thought the monks are only allowed to eat before noon. This asumption goes well with my observations on THAI flights. Even when food (or what ever that is) is served, the monk(s) get only a tray with water, orange juice, tea and coffee. (I wonder why all four of them....)

This afternoon I spotted the local monk across the street....eating!

Well, I also thought mobile phones were not owned by monks. When I mentioned this while talking to a Thai friend, being a monk before, he started laughing.

ermm.gif

• Like 1

"without going into the teachings of Buddha" pretty much rules out any explanation!

Basically a monk's life is shaped by Buddhist teachings and cultural practices/responsibilities they have towards the laity who in turn provide their sustenance.

They do not, BTW, "worship" Buddha. They try to follow his teachings, or at least that is what they are supposed to be doing. Buddha died more than 2,500 years ago and is not existant in any form now so nothing to be "worshipped". His teachings however remain and that's the focus. Gestures of respect towards Buddha images are a sign of respect for the teachings and the universal law, not worship of a being past or present.

In the Theravada schools, which is what is in Thailand, monks are required to be celibate and to avoid even the appearance of sexual behavior, including situations which could give rise to rumors etc. So should not be alone with a woman and so forth. Thai Buddhism takes this to a great extreme i.e. not even taking anything directly from a woman but in other Theravada countries it is more relaxed and (to my eyes) sensible. Women can hand things to monks in Cambodia, for example.

Ironically, breaches of celibacy seem to be more common here than in countries which are more pragmatic about it.

• Like 2

I allways thought the monks are only allowed to eat before noon. This asumption goes well with my observations on THAI flights. Even when food (or what ever that is) is served, the monk(s) get only a tray with water, orange juice, tea and coffee. (I wonder why all four of them....)

This afternoon I spotted the local monk across the street....eating!

Well, I also thought mobile phones were not owned by monks. When I mentioned this while talking to a Thai friend, being a monk before, he started laughing.

ermm.gif

Correct, they are not supposed to eat after noon. Whether that means one meal or two is sort of up to them, most have 2 meals, one at break of day and one about 11 AM, after that just liquids. However exception allowed if medically necessary.

The rule is old and dates back to an agrarian society where people rose early and went to bed early. I believe the idea was to (1) minimize the burden on the laity, who supply the monk's food and (2) to exercise some restraint on the senses.

All I'll say is, like many other things in Thailand, what "should happen " and what "actually happens" is not necessarily the same thing, even for Monks.

And also like other things, that too can vary from place to place.

Food for thought. Buddhism is not a religion. Or maybe I should say they are atheist or at best agnostic. Men and women are not considered equal or if they say they are in their teachings it doesn't work that way in practice. Monks I have encountered seem to be non agressive so thats a plus.

• Like 1