A long depressing New Years Day walk on Jomtien Beach Road

Jingthing

Well all the buses going into town from Jomtien to Pattaya were packed beyond full this evening (high Russian season) so I took a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG walk on Jomtien beach road. Pretty much all the restaurants tourist traps. The further out, there has to be more borscht per square meter (and as far as I have tasted not very GOOD borscht and yes I can tell) than many actual Russian towns. The general feeling of the place -- dreary and NOT FUN.

So here it is.

While I live in Jomtien and can't easily not live in Jomtien (condo owner) I have stopped the denial. Jomtien has gotten WORSE. A lot worse. At the same time, Pattaya has gotten quite a bit better.

Talking about the towns not the beaches. The beaches are nothing great in either of course.

Looking forward to lower season when it's easier to GET into Pattaya ...

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was walking in Pattaya this evening and I swear everywhere I went I heard nothing but Russian being spoken. It is beginning to get to the point where the domination of this language makes you forget which country you are inblink.png

Yeah but in Pattaya there is more overall diversity than Jomtien, especially inland.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I understand what You mean Jingthing, although I not live in Jomtien. But I go to and fro every week. They melt in more in Patts than in Jomtien. As I live in pattaya tai I only see them during daytime, Friendship,Tukcom etc After 5/6 oclock in the evening they gone probably to Jomtien:). BUT if You go a couple of sois uptown No russians! They have their own paths,Second Road, Beach Road, Wailking Street that's it!

In Big C Pattay tai very seldom You see them..To Addy77 what's getting worse in Pattaya tai during daytime is that they want to take their 7/11

beers into the restaurants and don't want to order anything..and they don't want to put on a T-shirt either..but this is nothing if You compare with my trips back to the city from Jomtien, with these so called taxis...

• Like 1

I pointed out some months ago that Naklua was over whelmed with Russians and pretty soon the hole of Pattaya would become inundated with Russian restaurant's club's and the like's .

Most of you locals poo pood the idea I thought two years at the most well it now seems even I made that mistake looks like by later this year you'll all have to start speaking Russian and putting up with the unfriendly restaurants.

I see Russians everywhere in Pattaya and Jomtien but they dont seem to have had any bad effect on the places that I like to eat in, and most of the places that they like are places that I wouldnt be seen dead in anyway. So I just ignore them (as far as is possible) and hope that the daily reports of death and crime and violent scamming make them all decide to go somewhere else next year instead.

• Like 2

In past 2 months I have seen 1 Russian guy in Starbucks, Beach rd. I go there 2-3 times a day, and stay for 30 minutes at least. They sometimes buy banana pancake outside the cafe, and if there is vacant table, they sit down, of course without ordering anything. Staff tolerates it.

But one time last week, 4 of them sharing one pancake occupied the table next to the beach side door, somebody must have complained, one staff girl came outside to chase them away. Russians looked and seemed confused, as to way they shoul leave. At first they ignored her, and made rude, loud comments, then one of the Starbucks customers sitting at the other table next to the door, told them speaking in Russian, that the table is only for customers of cafe, and they need to order something, if they want to sit there. The foursom grudgingly walked away.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

On Dec 29 around 8pm, it took a friend of mine 1 hour and 30 minutes to drive from Jomtien police station and 7 11 corner to Pattaya. Buying a car or taking a taxi is no answer.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The topic wasn't focused on transport (for a change).

The get a good look, feel, and IMPRESSION around Jomtien directly you need to walk anyway.

The point is it is really, really DREARY and yes the Russian holidaymakers even though they dominate for the most part do not project JOY.

I imagine the mood (and supporting Thai flora and fauna) would be different if they were ITALIANS. But they're not.

Yes I have made the same long walk before.

It just seems to have gone downhill even more.

Look at this another way.

How many Jomtien residents (who aren't Russian) would actually suggest to a good friend in the west that they really must have a long stay in Jomtien (except to visit you)?

What kind of friend would that be?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On Dec 29 around 8pm, it took a friend of mine 1 hour and 30 minutes to drive from Jomtien police station and 7 11 corner to Pattaya. Buying a car or taking a taxi is no answer. Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's ok on a bike, I avoid using the car for anything west of Sukh.

On the other hand, the harder the car drive to Pattaya gets, the quicker the area around Jomtien second road will likely develop.

I've shared this comment on Twitter and getting extremely good feedback. One baht bus driver and restaurateur in particular.

I bet this is the same baht bus driver, who has a secret crush for Jingthing!

Although there were plenty of Russian diners, the plus side is that many of the Russian ladies were absolute stunners.

So it's not all bad news with the Russians.

You know, these Russian stunners in Pattaya, are only special cos they are under 60, and white. They are a novelty for Pattayas expats.

In Russia, there are many truly beautiful girls almost everywhere you look.

But for some strange reason, the Russian tourists in Pattaya, are average looking farm girls, the only Russian dudes who would do them, are desperate loners, or very drunk.

But its not their fellow Russian men, who bother to chase those girls, its Arab men in the Walking street night clubs, who off them, compensations start from 3000, and up from there, 6000 about average.

For older Western gentlemen, they may look stunning exotic beauties, but not to Russian men, not even close.

• Like 1

the plus side is that many of the Russian ladies were absolute stunners.

I really don't think that's going to brighten JT's day :)

JT, why don't you get a bicycle and cycle into Pattaya? It would help your weight issue as well. Or if that sounds a little daunting, perhaps even a tricycle?

Simon

I dined tonight in a Jomtien restaurant you probably passed on your trek.

Although there were plenty of Russian diners, the plus side is that many of the Russian ladies were absolute stunners.

Downside is almost none of them are available. It's couples and families only.

Contrast the European backpackers of the North

You know, these Russian stunners in Pattaya, are only special cos they are under 60, and white. They are a novelty for Pattayas expats.

In Russia, there are many truly beautiful girls almost everywhere you look.

But for some strange reason, the Russian tourists in Pattaya, are average looking farm girls, the only Russian dudes who would do them, are desperate loners, or very drunk.

But its not their fellow Russian men, who bother to chase those girls, its Arab men in the Walking street night clubs, who off them, compensations start from 3000, and up from there, 6000 about average.

For older Western gentlemen, they may look stunning exotic beauties, but not to Russian men, not even close.

I disagree. I know beauty when I see it and there are plenty of decent looking young Russian girls in town - I haven't forgotten what good looking white girls look like despite my age.smile.png

"average looking farm girls"?? LOLOL

• Like 2