A long depressing New Years Day walk on Jomtien Beach Road

Jingthing

the plus side is that many of the Russian ladies were absolute stunners.

I really don't think that's going to brighten JT's day smile.png

JT, why don't you get a bicycle and cycle into Pattaya? It would help your weight issue as well. Or if that sounds a little daunting, perhaps even a tricycle?

Simon

Yeah, but a lot of those good looking Russian ladies come with decent looking young Russian guys.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know what JT is on about nothing to do with good looking Russian women even though some are 'and some are fat and ugly' once they take over the place restaurants and the general area are not welcoming.

About 9 months ago the wife my daughter and I went into the restaurant just after Soi 5 Jomtien been there many time's before although not great always polite and good service, this time it was full of Russians, the looks remark's + sniggering from them spoilt the meal and upset my G/L never been back since and our trips to Pattaya are off the Map.

It might all seem ok as Pattaya town is still partly ok. Just wait another year and that will be Buggered big time as well.

Maybe then place's like Settahip won't be out of the question. In the mean time you Enjoy.

Edited by fredob43

I was walking in Pattaya this evening and I swear everywhere I went I heard nothing but Russian being spoken. It is beginning to get to the point where the domination of this language makes you forget which country you are inblink.png

A bit like English in Tenerife, Spain or even Thailand only a few years ago. Embrace the Russians, they are keeping the economy afloatsmile.png

I have posted this before but here goes ,apart from a small amount of "quality' Russian tourists ,most are of the type of low class 'Thompson' tour crowd that started to go to Spain from Britain years ago ,flush with their dole money. first time abroad and think if you shout loud enough people will understand you.

Replace "Russian" with blacks and we'd all be bigots.

And for any of those that can read Russian, check out their forums, be amazed at what they think of "Foreigners" here...

The point is that Jomtien has become extremely dreary and also it is now dominated by Russians. The former is my subjective impression while the latter is a fact.

People crying bigotry, you make me laugh. Is it bigotry to have subjective impression of a travel destination? That's daft. Read some great travel writers like Paul Theroux and maybe get educated.

You've got to be able to talk about stuff. To talk about the feeling in today's Jomtien without mentioning the Russian domination would be an exercise in absurdity. If they were bringing massive festiveness to the region and I could feel that, would it be bigotry to say that?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I pointed out some months ago that Naklua was over whelmed with Russians and pretty soon the hole of Pattaya would become inundated with Russian restaurant's club's and the like's .

Most of you locals poo pood the idea I thought two years at the most well it now seems even I made that mistake looks like by later this year you'll all have to start speaking Russian and putting up with the unfriendly restaurants.

the hole of Pattaya

Heartfelt or a slip of the pen ?

In past 2 months I have seen 1 Russian guy in Starbucks, Beach rd. I go there 2-3 times a day, and stay for 30 minutes at least. They sometimes buy banana pancake outside the cafe, and if there is vacant table, they sit down, of course without ordering anything. Staff tolerates it. But one time last week, 4 of them sharing one pancake occupied the table next to the beach side door, somebody must have complained, one staff girl came outside to chase them away. Russians looked and seemed confused, as to way they shoul leave. At first they ignored her, and made rude, loud comments, then one of the Starbucks customers sitting at the other table next to the door, told them speaking in Russian, that the table is only for customers of cafe, and they need to order something, if they want to sit there. The foursom grudgingly walked away.Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thats great, i find people using seats like that annoying and disrespectful....and when they are loud and rude and invade my space and peace and quiet like that it makes me really f*****g angry..,.I've had thoughts of slapping idiots like that across the face....of course I'm old enough to know better and wouldn't really do it....

BTW, just for some trivial amusement, I'll mention that I settled down to a meal at one of the clone Russian restaurants on Soi Welcome. Yes that appears to be ground Zero of Jomtienski.

To start Ukrainian borscht.

Thin, watery, almost no vegetables, bland.

Then I took a walk on the wild side with

SOMALI FISH

thinking it might either be a little spicy or more likely a messed up English translation.

The picture looked super appealing. Huge chunk steaks in a row of seemingly spiced and charred fish, it looked really good.

What arrived was one modest pan fried filet (couldn't tell) with no hint of any spice.

Oh well.

Is "Somali Fish" a thing in Russia?

The Thai waiter was fun. He seemed disoriented when I didn't speak Russian. He insisted on practicing his Russian phrases on me and then I asked him, so you speak Russian, and he said yes, then I noticed he was dealing with the actual Russians in English. Ha ha.

I do admire how the Thais play act at adapting so well to ... WHATEVER.

I happen to like GOOD Russian (and Eastern European) food but so far my experience of that has only been in New York City and San Francisco, not here.

Edited by Jingthing

And for any of those that can read Russian, check out their forums, be amazed at what they think of "Foreigners" here...

The point is that Jomtien has become extremely dreary and also it is now dominated by Russians. The former is my subjective impression while the latter is a fact.

People crying bigotry, you make me laugh. Is it bigotry to have subjective impression of a travel destination? That's daft. Read some great travel writers like Paul Theroux and maybe get educated.

You've got to be able to talk about stuff. To talk about the feeling in today's Jomtien without mentioning the Russian domination would be an exercise in absurdity. If they were bringing massive festiveness to the region and I could feel that, would it be bigotry to say that?

No more that saying blacks are good at basketball.

No. It is NOTHING like that all. If people here aren't able to make basic distinctions, I can't help you. This is the Pattaya forum and this is an Ango forum. We're going to be talking about the Russian domination here for a long time to come. Deal with it. It's a fact of life. It's something that is worthy of discussion.

Edited by Jingthing

No. It is NOTHING like that all. If people here aren't able to make basic distinctions, I can't help you. This is the Pattaya forum and this is an Ango forum. We're going to be talking about the Russian domination here for a long time to come. Deal with it. It's a fact of life. It's something that is worthy of discussion.

Deal with what? I could give a sh*t less whether or not Russians are moving in around you. I just made a simple comment the if people were whining about about blacks moving into their neighborhood they would be called bigots. You disagree, deal with it.

Try Sri Racha. Russians are very thin on the ground. You would hard pressed to spot one.

You don't have to go that far...no Russians on the dark side, thankfully.

Not true...see more and more walking about NPW. Either renting or staying in one of the many guesthouses and small hotels in the area.

Dreary now...was it ever not so?

• Like 2

Dreary now...was it ever not so?

Indeed

Jingthing: reading your posts here, its surely the case that its time for you to move on from Jomtien. Sell your condo(perhaps to a Russian) and find some other area in Pattaya to live which has less of them!

Edited by Zodiac

Jingthing: reading your posts here, its surely the case that its time for you to move on from Jomtien. Sell your condo(perhaps to a Russian) and find some other area in Pattaya to live which has less of them!

Russians wouldn't be my motivation really. I have better personal reasons. If I did sell I would move to the USA or Ecuador.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Try Sri Racha. Russians are very thin on the ground. You would hard pressed to spot one.

You don't have to go that far...no Russians on the dark side, thankfully.

It will happen sooner or later.

I have posted this before but here goes ,apart from a small amount of "quality' Russian tourists ,most are of the type of low class 'Thompson' tour crowd that started to go to Spain from Britain years ago ,flush with their dole money. first time abroad and think if you shout loud enough people will understand you.

LOL. The old Thai vendor's comments about how decent you look in your long pants and thongs (slippers) has gone to your head. Now you think you're better than all (most of) the Russians over here.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

They'll take over the whole area before long. It's either going to be leave Pattaya (maybe even leave Thailand) or get used to them. Obviously what makes Pattaya appealing to the rest of you makes it's appealing to the Russians.

"Call some place paradise - kiss it goodbye".

They have an advantage over most of you - proximity. Where would you rather live? Siberia or Thailand? Isn't the warm tropical climate one of the major reasons many of you like it here? Now, some smart business minded Russians have begun the colonization process and are making a killing with the easy job of relocating Russians from one of the coldest countries on earth to Pattaya.

The Americans have their Florida and Hawaii. The Northern Europeans have their Spain... now the Russians have their Pattaya.biggrin.png

Edited by tropo