Democracy is not just about elections: Thai editorial

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For some, democracy is synonymous with elections, but for others it is about more than just voting.

Athenian Democracy, the origin, democracy meant your duty as a citizen to attend public Debates. This later picked up as 'rule of the people' but it actually referred to your duty to engage in public sphere activities especially the Debates.

Voting, "having a vote", is a historical hand-me-down from the original Athenian Democracy concept of "having a voice." Ie. actually physically speaking in public Debates.

In other words, pre-election, or numbers of votes, do not matter at all in a true Democracy. What matters is that post-election, the people have a voice, and everybody has access to channels of open and free public Debate. And that elected representatives engage in open and free debate within government also.

Not going to happen anywhere in the world, at this rate. But that was the dream and maybe in another 1500 years it will come true.

Wasn't it about voting directly for legislation rather than for people or some such? I don't recall exactly and am loathe to research but I believe the assembly was all citizens who chose to attend a session and was restricted by definition of citizenship.

Things will take time in Thailand. Other countries needed time to reach where they now are as well. One can only hope for Thailand that some new and not corrupt generation of politicians will emerge from the present hectic period. Often is a good breeding ground for new leaders.

• Like 1

The difference between my home country democracy and Thailand is that we get our taxes back in the form of free health care, unemployment and sickness benefits, public transport, etc. In Thailand these taxes get squandered and syphoned off by the government and the population get back very little of their taxes back.

Here is a novel idea…let the elected officials finish their term...

The only way to have a mature democracy is to stop the coup d'état mentality.

The only way to stop criminals is to arrest them. Please take a look at the topic.

Edited by JRSoul
  • Like 2

I think the fact that so many senseless laws get passed in thailand shows there is no debate.

We live with the no booze between 1 and 4 every day. I mean honestly, how does such a stupid law get written? Or how about the rider must have a helmet but not the passenger law?

The quality of laws being passed says a lot about the quality of democracy. I love to read the stories whenever there is a proposal to change the law about land ownership in thailand.

Someone says "selling the country". And that's it. Finished.

I favour the Mexican solution, where you could lease land for 99 years (This law was abandoned in Mexiko 1993). Then Thais would not have to worry about their land being sold out to foreigners.

I just read that over 28 constituencies have no registered candidates, that's more than five percent of the total 500 MPs, thus Parliament cannot convene, so what's the point of spending the money on an election?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Of course. The point of elections is to give people the illusion that they have control over things and their vote, therefore opinion matters. Too bad it doesn't. If it could change anything and mattered it would be illegal. As for the 500MPs and others, it doesn't matter either. It's just a show but at the end the one who is willing to be the next puppet of the owners of the country is going to be elected.

• Like 2

This is a splendid article. Indeed, democracy is different things to different people. For some, it is an event that takes place in one day every four years. For others, it is a daily expression and a daily holding to accountability. If this country is to develop - in the words of this editorial - into a mature democracy, then all the incentives to produce the opposite must be addressed by society in forums designed to bring that about peacefully and through open dialogue for the good of all.