OK! OK! I GIVE UP! I AM A BROKEN MAN! I will now get my Thai license.

DeeMockMark

On the internet look up "Don's Life In Thailand" He has a few pages that are too long to post here and he gives you step by step information on how to obtain a driving license. It was updated May 2013 so the information is correct. Good luck!

Edited by CIHUAHUA

Do you have a foreign full motorcycle licence?

If so, you might consider just getting an international driving licence which is also valid.

I didn't take a test or anything, just supplied correct paperwork and photos, copy of my license which has full motorcycle as well as the car and LGV and they issued me with 2 licenses, one for motorbikes and one for car. Why mess about with International ones?

Come to Nong Khai. Took valid US drivers license and only test was identify the color (red, yellow, green) of three 6" (15 cm) diameter. From about 10' (~3 m). Got a one year license. After one year went back paid another 25 Baht and now have a 5 year Thai driving license. By the way I have used this to rent a car in the US and my US license has expired but mei pen rei.

Hey DeeMock:

If you ride a bicycle you:

• Don't hafta wear no stinking helmet. (Still a good idea, though.)
  • Cruise past the cops who are busy shaking down the moto sai-clists, smiling your heinie off.
  • Slip though holes in traffic that motorbikes cannot. Laugh at gridlock!
  • No license required, no insurance.
  • Good method of fitness/exercise.
  • Safest form of personal transport, as long as you keep your eyes & ears open for danger.
  • No petrol bill.
Something to consider, anyway. Be prepared to waste several hours and maybe two trips, getting your license. Chok dee, Happy New year.
  • Get crushed

rubbish...road 12,000km last year on my bicycle in Thailand smile.png no problems.

You didn't have one scary moment in 12,000km? Really?

• Like 1

Don't worry if you fail. Just give them Haa Reu and they'll fill it out for you. Guess you're one of them with the fancy (but cheaper) bicycle rims on your scooter.

Live to Ride. Ride To Live.-Lol.-wai2.gif

Got my Thai license for car and m/bike very easy in Nong Khai.

I was told its not possible to get them on a tourist visa but that's all I have and still no problems.

Ok here's what I did

Got medical certificate from doctors ( about 50 baht )

Photocopies of passport showing your pic and p/port number and also of tourist visa and entry date

Copies of my uk driving license

Proof of address signed by landlady

Went to the DLT ( department of land transport ) and handed over copies of above and filled in application form with help from staff and my Thai girlfriend.

They then handed me back the paper work after doing whatever it was they needed to do and told me to take it to the immigration office.

Waited 2 days to be able to collect papers back from immigration.

Having got them back returned to DLT and handed papers to staff , then had to take a test which involved hitting a brake pedal when a light came on and a colour test based on traffic lights.

Next they took my photograph and within 10 minutes handed me my car and m/bike license valid for 1 year ( total cost was about 500 baht although I can't remember exact price )

If you only want bike license it will be cheaper and need less copies of documents.

Hope this helps

Mark

I keep trying to show policemen my Thai DL but they always say No...

Actually was only ever asked the one time at a mountain checkpoint...he requested... I said..Chaiiiii... then he said ..Bye....arggg its got cobwebs

Other big advantage of course is that it covers as an ID card...Hotels,Airlines(Doms)Banks,National Parks/Government offices etc...anything to make life easier.

Edited by Rinrada

I have heard that they test for reaction time and colorblindness. What about depth perception? Do they require you to take a depth perception test??? I have read somewhere they do. But I haven't heard anyone mention that here.

Edited by DeeMockMark

I have heard that they test for reaction time and colorblindness. What about depth perception. Do they require you to take a depth perception test??? I have read somewhere they do. But i havent heard anyone mention that here.

Yes they do. You sit on a chair with a remote control and line up a couple of sticks in a box to measure depth perception.

I found the depth perception test quite tricky. But I am sure I have no problems in real life. I think the difficulty is you only get one shot. Once you press the button, that's it. Anyway I passed.

I don't have traditional depth perception from stereoscopic vision. I have been monoscopic since birth. The test tests for triangulation of two seeing eyes and one object of sight. I see out of one eye at a time. I hear the test is very difficult for people like me to pass.

I found the depth perception test quite tricky. But I am sure I have no problems in real life. I think the difficulty is you only get one shot. Once you press the button, that's it. Anyway I passed.

I don't have traditional depth perception from stereoscopic vision. I have been monoscopic since birth. The test tests for triangulation of two seeing eyes and one object of sight. I see out of one eye at a time. I hear the test is very difficult for people like me to pass.

So you're saying its difficult for anyone if they have an iPad?

Dept. of Motor Vehicles in Chiang Mai is very accommodating with the process to get an auto license. Just had to identify colored circles that are the same as traffic lights. Have to say that the red had faded to almost pink. Then I took the reaction test. After that they issued the DL.All was courteous and hassle free. Mine was issued in Feb. 2012 and is valid thru Feb. 2018: good DMV.

i always just show my UK driving license. they have never questioned it !

it seems that they are only ever interested that I have some kind of license.. and usually they are just looking for something to fine me for. which they rarely are able to do...

Dept. of Motor Vehicles in Chiang Mai is very accommodating with the process to get an auto license. Just had to identify colored circles that are the same as traffic lights. Have to say that the red had faded to almost pink. Then I took the reaction test. After that they issued the DL.All was courteous and hassle free. Mine was issued in Feb. 2012 and is valid thru Feb. 2018: good DMV.

Did you have international license or just country of origin? And did they require the depth perception test and written portion and driving test? Did you just take colorblindness test and reaction test and they issued you your Thai license???????? That is what your post seems to say. Also i thought they issued 1 year first then 5 year? Am I missing something here? So was this your first Thai license?

Edited by DeeMockMark

Hi,

just some words of warning regarding the computer test (in Bangkok).

My friend told me that he failed the test and so when I went I decided not to take it easy and read the manual (they will give u about an hour to learn it in advance) extremely carefully.
I even made photos of every page, so i would have even more time to learn it, though that was totally unecessary.

Anyway, this test is extremely flawed in that even though you may log the correct answer, it will save another one.
I found out when I went back to review or edit the previous answers, which you can do at any time before your time runs out.

So make sure to go through all the questions multiple times and check if the right answer is still checked.

I think you are allowed a maximum of 4 wrong answers and I made it with 3 wrong ones if I remember correctly (even though I ticked all the correct answers, maybe except one).
They were extremely surprised that I made it and they were really not all that friendly over there. So my guess is, based on the what my thai-friend's first suggestions were when I reported the story, that they expect you to bribe'em.
But that is a "maybe".