thb falling vs other currencies

ultimate weapon

So my Baht has now less value if I send it out of Thailand

You can't send THB out of Thailand.

But if you mean is your THB worth less now than when you brought your money into the country in the first place, that depends on the exchange rate you got when you changed your inbound money.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have around 900k in bank here so don't have to deal with embassy, so that is shrinking, but at same time my much larger amount in US is worth more... like pouring from one cup into the other and thinking somehow that makes more. And I would hardly say "record levels". I remember when baht was around 40 to the dollar.

Perhaps the US factory and jobs data giving the US$ a lift.

US data is mostly lies, official but lies.

Data/source to back up your assumption?

USD strength is being caused by the "taper" of QE by the Federal Reserve, which is causing weakness in emerging markets.

While the taper is apparently priced in, someone forgot to tell Emerging Market FX markets again as from India to Indonesia and from Thailand to the Philippines, currencies are tumbling against the USD.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-02/usdjpy-slumps-most-4-months-nikkei-futures-tumble-450-points

Aussie $ has fallen some 15% v's the us$ (and other currencies in general) as well in the past year ... not only the Thai baht dropping vs the us$ & other currencies ... just saying whistling.gif

Due to the RBA dropping interest rates,always a bad thing for a major hard currency as it makes the carry trade far less attractive to foreign investment.On the plus side generally always good for exports and a country's economy!

Pah....£ took a tumble yesterday.

Did someone prod Merv King with a stick!

yes, why was that?

Please share why and provide your data. Thanks.

Mervyn King is no longer the governor of the BoE..It's now Max Carney..

Pssst don,t tell him this-ignorance is bliss with some folks-let him go back to sleep cheesy.gif

yes, why was that?

You must be very well connected, huh? Amazing that you know that and hundreds of millions of other people don't. If you have firm data you could be making millions on the stock market. Are you?

No need,just watch the NFPs (Non-Farm Payrolls) every first Friday of the month!rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I do know that.......

Hence the prod with a stick comment....as per waking him. ermm.gif

Edited by jacko45k

Pssst don,t tell him this-ignorance is bliss with some folks-let him go back to sleep cheesy.gif

Just another who just doesn't understand references with a humorous slant.

In the past, when MK was at the helm, every time he made a statement, the £ would tumble.

Oh I think I will give up humour... it seems TV has been bereft of it for so long! :D

The dollar rose only 2 bht

the euro rose about 5 bht

why is the dollar not moving like eu or pound ?

Well, mainly because you have to look at the % in each case. If both the dollar and euro gained, say 33 baht it would mean that the usd doubled it's strength while the euro didn't. So the weaker currencies (usd) can not rise as much as the stronger (euro, pound) if you look at the amount of baht.

Of course I'm assuming here that the relative strengths of usd and euro is constant, which is not always true.

Don't give up the day job!whistling.gif

I do know that.......

Hence the prod with a stick comment....as per waking him. ermm.gif

yeah ...satire man, kinda like Spitting Image sketch where Sir John Gelguid got poked mid sentence.............. to help the senile ol git along.smile.png

• Like 1

Dollar was 32.14 TT rate on December 18. Today it is 32.86 TT rate.

I don't consider that a big change. If I sent over $1000 US, I would gain an extra 720 baht.

32.86 baht per US dollar again. It seems to be holding steady.

currency movements are only indirectly affected by government policy.

ultimately the primary factors are balance of trade/payments and the markets' perception of financial stability in the long term.

USD is of course an exception, or rather it will take a lot longer for the US to pay the piper for its governments' incompetence.

once international trade settlements are made with an alternative basket of currencies, hard times indeed as America actually needs to pay reasonable interest for its staggering debt load.

-snip-

once international trade settlements are made with an alternative basket of currencies, hard times indeed as America actually needs to pay reasonable interest for its staggering debt load.

And what "basket" would that be? The US economy is growing fast, partly due to its massive finds of oil, but all of the important numbers like trade deficits, employment, corporate profits, government deficits etc. are truly improving. LINK.

The US is the world's #1 economy by double and has the world's 3rd largest population.

The US is the main buyer of many countries' exports, including China, The UK, and even Thailand. You'd best wish the US well.

I still would love to know what "basket" of currencies the US would accept as payment since it is by far the world's largest seller and buyer?

Greece and Portugal? tongue.png

• Like 2

-snip-

And what "basket" would that be? The US economy is growing fast, partly due to its massive finds of oil, but all of the important numbers like trade deficits, employment, corporate profits, government deficits etc. are truly improving. LINK.

The US is the world's #1 economy by double and has the world's 3rd largest population.

The US is the main buyer of many countries' exports, including China, The UK, and even Thailand. You'd best wish the US well.

I still would love to know what "basket" of currencies the US would accept as payment since it is by far the world's largest seller and buyer?

Greece and Portugal? tongue.png

Telling porkies again are we?

Thailand's major export partners are China (12 percent), Japan (10 percent), the United States (10 percent) and the European Union (9.5 percent).

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/exports

• Like 1

Of course we will do our best to prevent this, including using the "threat to national security" to justify use of its military, but the day will come, the important players worldwide know not to trust USD as a stable store of value.

The weakness of the Euro and the successful sabotoge of gold's rise has delayed it for now, very empire has its rise and fall, Amerika jumped the shark a while ago - direct South-South trade will continue to rise, the US' role will continue to slide, it's as inevitable as the fate of the current players in the film/music/book publishing industries.

We just kicked the fiscal crisis can down the road, nothing's actually been solved, the current QE addiction's an ongoing pyramid scheme, and obviously once the US has to actually pay real interest on its fantastical levels of debt the whole house of card's coming down.

Poison your water table. I am sure you can tech your way out of that somehow. 'Mar-KAH, 'Mar-KAH. Yeah. Woo Hoo. Just look at a Google map of the USA for gawd's sake.

I'm amazed how even in the developed world people don't trust tap water anymore and drink bottled.

Corporate control over drinking water, great example of how something looks great for the economy, for people, not so much.

We just kicked the fiscal crisis can down the road, nothing's actually been solved, the current QE addiction's an ongoing pyramid scheme, and obviously once the US has to actually pay real interest on its fantastical levels of debt the whole house of card's coming down.

You think so? Naysayers have been predicting (read hoping for) the demise of the USA for years. There's only two words I would say to these folks--oil shale.

From Bloomberg:

"The U.S. will surpass Russia and Saudi Arabia as the worlds top oil producer by 2015, and be close to energy self-sufficiency in the next two decades, amid booming output from shale formations, the IEA said."

I'd say the US dollar is pretty safe.

You're talking real, "main street" economics.

Not too relevant anymore, wall street wizardry now runs the show, or so they hope for the moment.

The whole monetary/fiscal infrastructure is based on complete fantasy now, constant currency printing to keep the banksters rolling while there's no real safe store of value for long-term savings.

China's going to have the most solid international currency in years to come, stockpiling a huge proportion of the physical gold supply while the western central banks have been "fractional reserve" selling theirs many times over, their vaults are emptying, they use the paper derivatives market to try to keep gold down, bolster faith in the fiat currencies but the demand for physical delivery from Asia is pretty much infinite.

Poison your water table. I am sure you can tech your way out of that somehow. 'Mar-KAH, 'Mar-KAH. Yeah. Woo Hoo. Just look at a Google map of the USA for gawd's sake.

I'm amazed how even in the developed world people don't trust tap water anymore and drink bottled.

Corporate control over drinking water, great example of how something looks great for the economy, for people, not so much.

I don't know about yours, but in the US bottled water is usually just bottled city water. Both Pepsi and Coca Cola bottle the water from various cities and give it a fancy name and price. Link

"On a side note, it seems that the “Mountain Spring” source for bottled water is not as important as it once was. Aquafina (Pepsi) uses municipal (city) water from Fresno, Denver, Las Vegas and Hayward. Coca Cola also uses city water."