Secured Credit Cards Thailand

oops

I have teenager that is coming to Thailand to stay for several months so I want to make sure

he always has plenty of cash on hand or at least a Credit Card or Cash Card.

Does anyone know where I can get a prepaid card for him to carry around with him?

• Like 1

As mentioned, get him an account which you can drip feed into from your Thai account.

I recommend Siam Commercial Bank, though I also use Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank.

Having a back up is advisable and I personally would open a couple of accounts for him with one semi dormant as a back up.

no such ting as a credit card in thailand for falang, you deposit money then draw down on it up to a max of 80 percent of money deposited in account. when they told me i laughed i nearly brought a round.

Yes there is. I have two of them.

For the application you need your work permit, tax receipts & payslips.

Credit limit is 2 month's salary.

no such ting as a credit card in thailand for falang, you deposit money then draw down on it up to a max of 80 percent of money deposited in account. when they told me i laughed i nearly brought a round.

I second this, no problem getting a credit card with no security required.. even got a 600K limit

But you do need a work permit and working history/pay slips etc..

• Like 1

you talk <deleted>.

Mine is 100% un-secured, improve your existence and you too can have one.

• Like 2

If you can't leverage of local account for a debit card, or don't have the requirements for a credit card, you can try a 'travel money card', 'cash passport' or 'multiple currency card' that airlines (eg qantascash) and currency exchange providers (eg ozforex, travelex) offer.

I second this, no problem getting a credit card with no security required.. even got a 600K limit

But you do need a work permit and working history/pay slips etc..

Yup, me too.

Got BKK Bank and AmEx credit cards, both with limits about 1.5 X my local salary.

If you have an account here with a credit card, you may be able to get a partner card or so on the same account.

If you are from abroad, you just get a prepaid card, there is no prepaid card in Thailand, unless you use an account here with an ATM card, it says VISA or so, but it still is only a debit card.

And to the other replies, yes if you work here and have visa and work/income history you can get a creditcard with 2 month income (before tax) limit on it.

Interesting.

I'm thinking of retirement in Thailand and spoke to my local branch manager. He suggested I open a Thai bank account and obtain their Visa Card, then pay the card on line using my home account.

Any problem securing a Thai Visa Card for those with a Retirement Visa?

Thanks.

Depends on the bank.

Some require you to have a work permit and then will issue you a true CC.

I have what you said... although I did not know I was limited to 80%..... it says I have all of it 'available'.

The CC is paid automatically from my savings account, and I have a fixed term deposit equivalent to the limit that I cannot touch.

It is useful for internet purchases.

Edited by jacko45k

yes there is!!

i have both Kbank credit cards (master card & Visa) credit limit is 120,000 Baht not secured, i also have a Thai Aeon credit card with 80,000 limit again not secured

you should really know your facts before posting wrong info thumbsup.gif

Anyone having any experience with a credit card from the Bangkok Bank using a deposit account. I am waiting already more than six weeks for this card after opening a deposit account. When i applied for the staff told me no problem, takes only 2-3 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Anyone having any experience with a credit card from the Bangkok Bank using a deposit account. I am waiting already more than six weeks for this card after opening a deposit account. When i applied for the staff told me no problem, takes only 2-3 weeks. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Mine came within a week.

Ah another all knowing farang, so one must ask this question....as a Farang, how come have I had an unsecured SCB CC for the last 13 years which I received from them about 6 weeks after arriving in Thailand ?

please advise oh knowlegable one on all things Thai

Anyone having any experience with a credit card from the Bangkok Bank using a deposit account. I am waiting already more than six weeks for this card after opening a deposit account. When i applied for the staff told me no problem, takes only 2-3 weeks. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I applied for one on a Friday and on Thursday next received two cards. I would call or go to the bank and check.

Interesting.

I'm thinking of retirement in Thailand and spoke to my local branch manager. He suggested I open a Thai bank account and obtain their Visa Card, then pay the card on line using my home account.

Any problem securing a Thai Visa Card for those with a Retirement Visa?

Thanks.

Most banks will only issue a secured Credit card unless you have a work permit and meet the income requirements. A secured credit card is easy, just set up a fixed account for the amount you want on the credit card. Of course this is not what most people would call "credit card"since there really is no credit involved, but it works for online purchases, etc.

I can't speak for Bangkok Bank but my Kasikorn Credit Card took 5 weeks to arrive.

I applied for one on a Friday and on Thursday next received two cards. I would call or go to the bank and check.

It also the Thai way not to tell you have been refused and to just keep you waiting and waiting... Face saving apparently..

was told why that is and I agree I am 8 years employed with a valid wp still no unsecured Cc. Reason? I could go home at anytime leaving the debt. I do agree

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk