People with medical issues urged to prepare for 'shutdown'

Lite Beer

People with medical issues urged to prepare for 'shutdown'
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry is urging people with important medical appointments and those who have to collect prescribed medicines to do so, ahead of the anti-government protesters' "Bangkok Shutdown".

Medical Services Department chief Dr Suphan Srithamma told a press conference yesterday that hospitals under his office had been advised to give priority to patients with doctor's appointments and to those who needed prescribed drugs during the expected shutdown protests. In case of emergency, people could call the hotline 1646, 1669 and 0-2354-8822 around the clock, he said, adding that protest leaders had vowed to provide access to emergency ambulances and vehicles.

The ministry has also prepared seven advance emergency teams and eight basic emergency teams to support the anti-government rally from today until January 10 and its major protest on January 13.

As for those injured during protest clashes with police, only seven still remained in hospital.

I find it funny that Suthep said he would let 1 lane open for emergency vehicles. How will he control the hundreds of kilometers of streets in Bangkok to ensure absolutely nobody is blocking that last 1 lane remaining open? Noodle carts? Taxis? An old lady that needs at least 2 lanes to drive? What if a motorbike crashes and blocks that entire last 1 lane? Traffic jams for 50 kilometers?

• Like 2

"People with medical issues urged to prepare for 'shutdown'"

Wow, PT's fear campaign in full swing now. First it's illegal to join the demos, now this. Still better than yesterday's threats in the 'combined forces' article.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

Wow, PT's fear campaign in full swing now. First it's illegal to join the demos, now this. Still better than yesterday's threats in the 'combined forces' article.

Still got a hell of a way to go until we get "Life Firing Zones" though

• Like 2

Still got a hell of a way to go until we get "Life Firing Zones" though

Or start firing grenades at random into crowds, dragging troops from their vehicles to assault them, invading hospitals……..

And just what do you suggest they tell people, do nothing, or warn them as a responsible gov would do ? or crackdown on the protesters properly that are potentially endangering lives ? I agree that would be far the best solution, but they let them march so do the next best thing and your whining about it ???

Yeeesh some people are crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

whining your word of the day?

Hospitals as far as I am aware are not being blocked. Lanes are being left open for emergency vehicles. The govt should be preparing ways to deal with any life threatening situations and talking to suthep about how to do this.

I don't like suthep, i don't agree with his plans or this shutdown. Neither do I think the govts scaremongering, belligerent, threatening manner is helping.

edit: note no insulting emoticon attached.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

I find it funny that Suthep said he would let 1 lane open for emergency vehicles. How will he control the hundreds of kilometers of streets in Bangkok to ensure absolutely nobody is blocking that last 1 lane remaining open? Noodle carts? Taxis? An old lady that needs at least 2 lanes to drive? What if a motorbike crashes and blocks that entire last 1 lane? Traffic jams for 50 kilometers?

That is the emergency lane for the ambulances do to the violence precipitated by his shutdown. Jolly good of him.

And just what do you suggest they tell people, do nothing, or warn them as a responsible gov would do ? or crackdown on the protesters properly that are potentially endangering lives ? I agree that would be far the best solution, but they let them march so do the next best thing and your whining about it ???

Hospitals as far as I am aware are not being blocked. Lanes are being left open for emergency vehicles. The govt should be preparing ways to deal with any life threatening situations and talking to suthep about how to do this.

I don't like suthep, i don't agree with his plans or this shutdown. Neither do I think the govts scaremongering, belligerent, threatening manner is helping.

Clearly the gov has to say something and how can Suthep guarantee no congestion when thats exactly the aim to shut it all down ? come on think, the gov cannot say nothing they have a duty to protect the public and that includes warning them of potential health risk issues if a threatened mass shutdown.

Hospitals could be compromised and that is good enough for a sensible statement by any government to advise people to take measures early.

I dont really understand why even sensible precautions when made get slagged here other than maybe some just dont think before they post.

• Like 2

Even in a normal traffic jam they don't let ambulances pass. So guess what happens at the "shutdown".

The shutdown is irresponsible, immature and dangerous. Shutdown will kill people. If this country wouldn't be a banana republic, Suthep would be arrested immediately.

• Like 1

Clearly the gov has to say something and how can Suthep guarantee no congestion when thats exactly the aim to shut it all down ? come on think, the gov cannot say nothing they have a duty to protect the public and that includes warning them of potential health risk issues if a threatened mass shutdown.

Hospitals could be compromised and that is good enough for a sensible statement by any government to advise people to take measures early.

I dont really understand why even sensible precautions when made get slagged here other than maybe some just dont think before they post.

It ceases to be issuing sensible precautions when it is part of a series of scaremongering, threatening govt statements. That is my thinking, made before I posted.

Edited by Bluespunk

Until the government issue similar warnings, for Red-Shirt protests or natural-disasters like floods and storms too, there is the suspicion that these warnings are made more for political-reasons, to try to scare the anti-government protesters & alarm the general populace, rather than through any great concern for the ordinary people.

• Like 2

How pathetic is it that a country that KNOWS in advance the date of such an event would still allow it to take place?

A "shut down" should not be tolerated. Protest if you want, but planning a total shut down where you have to warn people with medical issues to prepare... unacceptable even for a banana republic.

Really? Have you ever been in a western city subject to a G8 or G20 meeting? The cities go into lockdown while the protestors run amuck. I was in Toronto right before the G8 meeting and the pre-event closures and vandalism made Thailand look civlised.

What do you think the reaction would be in tvf if the government prevented the protest rally from taking place? The government would be accused of quashing freedom of expression etc. People can't have it both ways.

You are right from a practical perspective that a shutdown should not be tolerated, but unfortunately it is the cost of freedom and democracy. The Suthep gang and all of its TVF supporters should be allowed to gather and blow their whistles.

• Like 2

Yep, help won't come to you. You gotta help yourselves. If you have a problem, we won't come to you. Don't blame us, blame yourselves or the nasty nasty Falang

It is prudent advice NOT scare mongering. Some people on this forum are so myopic they cannot see it!

• Like 1

Yes folks, better order those coffins now in case you don't make it to the hospital and die due to the blocked streets

Perhaps they've invented a way to make coffins out of compressed surplus riceclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

rice vs. coffins, interesting comparison

It is prudent advice NOT scare mongering. Some people on this forum are so myopic they cannot see it!

It's not advice when it is part of a series of govt statements designed to intimidate protestors and create a sense of doomsday around this protest. Clear enough for you! Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

yes, i guess that would be the case in such case...:) - considered that the thais tend to leave accident vehicles in place of the accident until the police/insurance guys arrive...

No you don't like suthep but you hate Thaksin more which is why you turn each post disagreeing with sutheps actions into an anti Thaksin/PTP/Yingluck/UDD post

How pathetic is it that a country that KNOWS in advance the date of such an event would still allow it to take place?

A "shut down" should not be tolerated. Protest if you want, but planning a total shut down where you have to warn people with medical issues to prepare... unacceptable even for a banana republic.

a country that KNOWS in advance the date of such an even

It is not "a country" it is THAILAND xsaai.gif.pagespeed.ic.vG7ALsuRa-.webp

Yeah and airports won't be blocked too,and Kim Il Suthep is a real good guy who loves Thailand and is doing all that for the poor people of Thailand,urrrg

No you don't like suthep but you hate Thaksin more which is why you turn each post disagreeing with sutheps actions into an anti Thaksin/PTP/Yingluck/UDD post

Wrong as usual. I hold all those you mention in equal contempt. None of them care about anyone and anything that does not support their point of view.