Special Report: A nation at the crossroads

Lite Beer

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A nation does not make a better democracy by abandoning democracy.

Some tell that idiot Suthep this. But of course you know he would not understand it because he is an X democrat.

f democracy here means a one party taksin state where his government can legalise all his crimes by amnesty and openly say they wont accept decision of courts then ill welcome anything that gets rid of him.

Remember Hitler Mugabwie Saddam and rest were all elected so if someone had stopped them in time a lot of lives would have been saved and a lot of misery avoided

You would just let Taksin continue and then in a few years wring your hands in despair at seeing Thailand become a one party police Taksin state

I think we all remember Hitler, Saddam etc... I think about them every single day when I see Suthep on stage.

If you let Suthep continiue, in a few years Thailand will not become a one party politics , but just a one man dictatorship.

And if PTP have their way you could well find Thaiiand still becomes a one man dictatorship.

So perhaps the question is not about democracy, but rather. Who do you want to be the dictator?

• Like 2

Some tell that idiot Suthep this. But of course you know he would not understand it because he is an X democrat.

f democracy here means a one party taksin state where his government can legalise all his crimes by amnesty and openly say they wont accept decision of courts then ill welcome anything that gets rid of him.

Remember Hitler Mugabwie Saddam and rest were all elected so if someone had stopped them in time a lot of lives would have been saved and a lot of misery avoided

You would just let Taksin continue and then in a few years wring your hands in despair at seeing Thailand become a one party police Taksin state

It is becoming a one party state because the main opposition are yet again not participating in the election process.

The amnesty bill was a huge error on the part of PT and was stopped by the Senate. Given the anger it generated it would be political suicide to try to push it through after 180 days expire. As for the 'not accepting decisions of the court', though they might not accept the blocking of a fully elected senate, I would be interested to see how they could actually go against the decision since surely they would not be able to get the EC to run such an election without the nod from the CC or a royal decree.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

This article is very thoughtful. Amazing that a corrupt politician like Suthep could be still leading any reform movement in Thailand.

90% of Thai politicians, past and present, have been or are corrupt.

It's really no surprise that he is there......many Thai politicians have been convicted of some form of corruption in the past...some have current cases yet to be heard.......it never ends.....but...Suthep has certainly started something here......maybe there will be some slowing of the rampant corruption that is so blatantly evident nowadays.

• Like 2

People keep saying about Suthep's reform plan. What exactly is his plan?

Some observers thought is just a way of usurping the power from the YL govt.

But Suthep has proposed to YL to have a live tv broadcasting on sharing of both reform plan but YL refused.

There is no actual conversation about the reform plan yet.

Does Suthep really have reform plan? maybe yes/ maybe no.

Don't forget YL said she also has a reform plan.

So until now did she say about the actual reform plan?

I guess all are same same.

• Like 1

Someone did obviously as Suthep never wanted to abandoning democracy. Actually he want to end vote buying.

• Like 2

Interesting how the Government just commandeered every TV channel just now for a live about 5 minute pro-administration propaganda piece. They said how well they were handling the situation and reiterated how unlawful the shutdown Bangkok plan is, and how bad the Suthep methods are. They said be careful everyone, but stopped short of saying if they would try to stop the shutdown. I suspect they will use this method to garner public opinion every day nearer the shutdown.

**Just tuned into live news, evidently Suthep is walking around all the districts of Bangkok, trying to garner support for the 13th. The government is then broadcasting its own counterpoint piece evidently.

Edited by keemapoot

Interesting how the Government just commandeered every TV channel just now for a live about 5 minute pro-administration propaganda piece. They said how well they were handling the situation and reiterated how unlawful the shutdown Bangkok plan is, and how bad the Suthep methods are. They said be careful everyone, but stopped short of saying if they would try to stop the shutdown. I suspect they will use this method to garner public opinion every day nearer the shutdown.

**Just tuned into live news, evidently Suthep is walking around all the districts of Bangkok, trying to garner support for the 13th. The government is then broadcasting its own counterpoint piece evidently.

that's what you would expect when there is an attempted coup - a national broadcast - nothing sinister and the protesters should think themselves lucky they live here and not Cambodia where the protest was squashed (as it should be)

What that simplicity overlooks is that when the constitution and laws are being over ridden and not adhered to then there is no democracy to abandon. Some should tell the Shinawatra's this.

• Like 1

What that simplicity overlooks is that when the constitution and laws are being over ridden and not adhered to then there is no democracy to abandon. Some should tell the Shinawatra's this.

Thaksin and Suthep should be sat on the naughty step, and not allowed off until they promise to behave themselves and share their toys nicely. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

"Remember Hitler Mugabwie Saddam and rest were all elected so if someone had stopped them in time a lot of lives would have been saved and a lot of misery avoided"

Hitler came to power using a strategy very, very close to Suthep's.A "peaceful" march (failed), elections (failed to get a significant majority most of the time, but always a favourite of the middle class frustrated by a flawed and failed democratic process), appointment (!) by a representative of the old order (Kaiser loving Hindenburg) Who were thinking of being able to control him, then major constitutional changes... The rest is history, often not properly remembered.

Saddam, I thought he came to power in a coup? Backed by the military, that one.

Mugabe, don't know. In any case, you remembered two of three wrong.

Good point regards Hitler. In the 33 election, the last one, which took place when he was Chancellor, after rigging the constitution, the burning of the Reichstag to fit up the opposition, the emergency decree, mass arrests and basically having everything in his favour, he still only won 43% of the vote. Mugabe was elected, yes, though not sure you can compare elections in Zimbabwe with those in Thailand. Someone posting the other day even had Pol Pot down as elected to try to underline the point that democracy is about more than just elections.

I doubt though, that there are many on this board who believe democracy only amounts to elections. Yet clearly they are essential to it. Necessary but not sufficient.

what is truly "Amazing" is some Thais (and some TVF posters) really think democracy is not 'worth it' and should not be given to those 'poor farmers'

let's reiterate - the only way for us to know how many Thais support Dear Leader Suthep is to have an... wait for it.... drum roll... ELECTION

but he doesn't want that - i mean why rely on democracy when you can just take over?

Again. Thailand is not and never has been a 'democracy' as you know it in the West. Votes must be backed up by actions. you are known by the fruits of your labour, and all that, and it clear for all to see this country is now a kleptocracy. Suthep is merely a stepping stone to a real functioning democracy in this popular people's uprising which will take many more years to come about. Another coup/reinstatement of Taksin will hold this country back for decades to come/completely destroy it.

"The PDRC claims to be a peaceful movement, and so far the protests have been relatively free from violence. "

Define "relatively". How many deaths does it take for the writer to decide that the protests are NOT relatively free from violence? Sure, the violence has occurred only on a few of the many days of protest. But it's violence, nonetheless. So it is no longer a peaceful rally. It would have been better for the writer to have said "... movement, but it has been marred by sporadic violence that has left 4 dead and scores injured."

8 deaths since the protests began now I believe. 3 on the protest side. 3 red shirts. 1 policeman. And the teenager of uncertain affiliation who got burned on the bus the day after the Ramkhamhaeng clalsh.

"This should worry all those who care about the future of Thailand and its people."

I worry. I care about the beautiful Thai people, who are a unique people. Yes, Thai culture is hard to understand. Yes, Thai people seem simple to the simple-minded.

I do not understand you and I love you. The world is more interesting because there are Thai people. This has nothing to do with economics or money or sex. I SEE you. I am not a brillaint man and I still can see the dawn. You are beautiful.

There are good Thai people here reading what I write. I hope they read this, because many foreigners feel like I do.

Please make a note of it, my Thai hosts. I eat at your glorious table and thank you for that. Some of us are here because we love Thais. We did not escape here, we are not interested in taking your land or children for bad reasons. And we want to love you and always love you. We want Thai people to find Thai solutions to Thai problems, with Thai hands and hearts -- we do not want foreigners to interfere with that. We want you to...become.

Sincerely,

Me