Certificate of residency Chiang Mai

kilt

Hello, I could use a little advice please...

I need to get a certificate of residence from immigration.

I own my condo. I have the chanote, telephone bills etc…

Do I need to have someone write a letter verifying I reside here (as renters use their landlords to write a letter)?

If so, who writes it and what does it need to say exactly (I fear I will need to spell it out for them)

Thanks very much!

Thanks very much.

Many people have read my original post but it looks like nobody has an answer. Thought I'd let everyone know that I ended up going to the Canadian Consulate and obtaining the Certificate of Residency using just my telephone bill. More expensive than getting one through immigration but MUCH less hassle and in my hand moments later.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

While it has been said that this subject has been beaten to death, for what it is worth, I offer the following regarding obtaining a residency certificate. Being told I could obtain one at my american consulate (1,500 baht/$46USD) or go to the satellite office near Promenda Resort Mall (500 baht/$15USD) I opted for the latter. I went today, Friday (10/10/14) morning & once inside, I was directed to office #4. I was told that I needed a copy of my residence contract or copy of drivers license ... not having my contract with me, I obtained a copy of the license for 2 baht. I then was told I needed a face photo which I also obtained there for 100 baht. I presented these items along with my application, orig. Passport & copies of the face page, visa page, TM.6 & page with current entry date. I signed the photocopies & paid 500 baht. I was then told to return the following Monday, 13/10/14, to office #2 to get my certificate. The entire process took less than 1/2 hour. The staff was friendly, helpful, and courteous.

This satellite office also provides other immigration services, notably the 90-report. What else they provide I do not know since i was focused on only the intended purpose of obtaining the certificate.

Hope this info helps. I've also attached 4 photos of the site which is on the south side of Mahidol Road.

post-186276-0-15527600-1412926585_thumb.

post-186276-0-05872600-1412926655_thumb.

post-186276-0-30771200-1412926676_thumb.

post-186276-0-37060500-1412927290_thumb.

• Like 1

This satellite office also provides other immigration services, notably the 90-report. What else they provide I do not know since i was focused on only the intended purpose of obtaining the certificate.

Hope this info helps. I've also attached 4 photos of the site which is on the south side of Mahidol Road.

This office does NOT provide 90 day reporting services (it is only for use by Lao, Myanmar and Cambodian's for such things)

• Like 1

The only thing to add of course is that if you are prepared to wait ten days you can get the certificate for free.

Officially the certificate is free everywhere. This is why the expediting "fee" varies from 500B (Chiang Mai) to 200-300B (Jomtien) to 0B (Bangkok), and is also why you will never get a receipt no matter how much you pay.

Totally third-world.

The only thing to add of course is that if you are prepared to wait ten days you can get the certificate for free.

Officially the certificate is free everywhere. This is why the expediting "fee" varies from 500B (Chiang Mai) to 200-300B (Jomtien) to 0B (Bangkok), and is also why you will never get a receipt no matter how much you pay.

Totally third-world.

I disagree, I think it's quite creative, it's a process that satisfies everyone's needs.

I disagree, I think it's quite creative, it's a process that satisfies everyone's needs.

It's not the leased bit creative... It's typical Thai corruption to line their pockets at our expense...

You don't have to pay, you can get it for free, it's your choice to pay.

You can get it for free if you know that it's possible (and they don't tell you that it is) and if you dont mind waiting an unduly long time (when they are clearly capable of doing it within 24 hours or even immediately). That's two ifs too many as far as I'm concerned.

Totally third-world. Bangkok is the only office (that I know of) where they do it correctly for free for all comers.

Edited by KittenKong

It's not the leased bit creative... It's typical Thai corruption to line their pockets at our expense...

That does not make it any less corrupt...

You can get it for free if you know that it's possible (and they don't tell you that it is) and if you dont mind waiting an unduly long time (when they are clearly capable of doing it within 24 hours or even immediately). That's two ifs too many as far as I'm concerned.

Totally third-world. Bangkok is the only office (that I know of) where they do it correctly for free for all comers.

The last time I got one there was a large colored flow chart on the door that described the timescales and the process and said it was zero cost, good lord, what more do you want.

• Like 1

As a follow-up to my original post, I must say that my expat friend , that I had dinner with last night, was unfortunately correct ... the majority of replies to this post seem to be negative in nature particularly the 'third world' comment. How unfortunate that no one offered a simple thank you ... I doubt I will post again anytime soon because of some of the response(s). For those who haven't accepted that you live in a 3rd world country & insist on constantly complaining (as I have read on so many other posts), I wonder to myself why do they stay? & why make yourself miserable?

Regarding payment, I thought I was clear ... the US gov't thinks nothing of charging their retired citizens on a fixed income what I consider to be an excessive fee for one piece of paper that I filled out.

The last time I got one there was a large colored flow chart on the door that described the timescales and the process and said it was zero cost, good lord, what more do you want.

There is nothing like that in Jomtien that I have ever seen. At the desk you are just told "300B" and it's up to you to know that you could also pay 200B for next-day service or 0B for next-week service.

If there is such a chart as you describe in Chiang Mai (and I dont disbelieve you) then I'm rather surprised that so many people there end up paying the 500B previously mentioned. I wouldn't.

If the Immigration Department want to introduce a standard two- or three-speed service nationally with a proper receipt being issued when people opt for the fast service, that's fine by me. But cash in a drawer just doesn't cut it.

There is nothing like that in Jomtien that I have ever seen. At the desk you are just told "300B" and it's up to you to know that you could also pay 200B for next-day service or 0B for next-week service.

If there is such a chart as you describe in Chiang Mai (and I dont disbelieve you) then I'm rather surprised that so many people there end up paying the 500B previously mentioned. I wouldn't.

If the Immigration Department want to introduce a standard two- or three-speed service nationally with a proper receipt being issued when people opt for the fast service, that's fine by me. But cash in a drawer just doesn't cut it.

I don't want to appear hard headed but, no, why should they. The process is publicly described and displayed prominently. It states it is free, if a customer deviates from that process in order to expedite matters it can be argued that the customer is bribing Immigration staff, only in Japan are receipts given for official bribes.

re

The last time I got one there was a large colored flow chart on the door that described the timescales and the process and said it was zero cost

hes right !

pic 1 .. the notice at the old airport plaza immigration office 17 may 14

pic 2 .. the same notice at the new immigration office opposite promenada 25 june 14

dave2

post-42592-0-36375000-1413022908_thumb.j

post-42592-0-31064500-1413022945_thumb.j

The above sign makes no reference to a 500 baht fee for next day... Just the nice lady and her little desk smiling and saying 500 baht for next day service that is slipped into the stack in her top drawer...

I have no problem (And I think most here would have no problem) with an official expetited fee...

But if its not official then its just a corrupt local bureaucracy that have created a problem and a lucrative solution...

Given the state of the parking lot outside I assume the funds are not going into the Government coffers...

But I bet there is an unusually large and shiny new truck parked out back...

Where is our beloved General Prime Minister... coffee1.gif

Edited by sfokevin

"The above sign makes no reference to a 500 baht fee for next day... Just the nice lady and her little desk smiling and saying 500 baht for next day service that is slipped into the stack in her top drawer." Why should we care, have expats turned into the morality police or what!

Plus it makes no sense to me, there's an official process and then there's the illegal short cut, why make the illegal short cut part of the official process for a fee, before you know it the the only process available will be the one that involves paying a fee.

The above sign makes no reference to a 500 baht fee for next day... Just the nice lady and her little desk smiling and saying 500 baht for next day service that is slipped into the stack in her top drawer...

I have no problem (And I think most here would have no problem) with an official expetited fee...

But if its not official then its just a corrupt local bureaucracy that have created a problem and a lucrative solution...

Given the state of the parking lot outside I assume the funds are not going into the Government coffers...

But I bet there is an unusually large and shiny new truck parked out back...

Where is our beloved General Prime Minister... coffee1.gif

This matter seems to be of particular concern to you as well as to some others. No need to call upon the prime minister. Why not settle the question by asking the CIO of Chiang Mai Immigration?

There are at least three opportunities very soon for you to get clarification on what happens to the 500 baht for expedited service. First, write a signed registered letter to the OIC of Chiang Mai Immigration requesting clarification. Or, post the question in an open letter in Chiang Mai news media. Third, ask the OIC of Chiang Mai Immigration to respond directly at his upcoming meeting on 22 October at the Chiang Mai Expats Club. Since he has requested a look at questions before his appearance so that he can prepare his presentation (English not being his first language), you really ought to write the letter now.

Here’s the address:

Pol. Col. Rutjapong

Chief of Chiang Mai Immigration

Chiangmai Immigration

71 Sanambin Road

T. Suthep A. Muang

Chiang Mai

The meeting detail is here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/762139-meeting-with-chief-of-cm-immigration/

In the meantime, you might want to be careful about what assumptions and wagers you make as noted in your post.

Edited by Mapguy

I recall some statement on the application saying that this service is provided free of change (or something along the lines of agreeing to not pay for this service). Maybe someone can take a picture next time.

Thanks very much.

Many people have read my original post but it looks like nobody has an answer. Thought I'd let everyone know that I ended up going to the Canadian Consulate and obtaining the Certificate of Residency using just my telephone bill. More expensive than getting one through immigration but MUCH less hassle and in my hand moments later.

As the the OP owns his condo, he might want to apply for a yellow tabien baan (yellow ownership book). Once obtained, this can be used instead of a residence certificate in any future events.

You can apply for it at your local amphur by submitting:

-copy of.... and original passport

-translation of passport to thai (paid Baht 400 for mine)

-chanote and copy of it

-blue book and copy (should have come with the chanote)

-residency letter (immigr. or embassy)

-3 photographs

-And one wittness with ID and a copy of it (to state that you are residing at this address)

When you submit the documents, they will do a little interview and ask for your family background, etc.

Was pretty easy.

I got my yellow book from the amphur in the old city. The fee was 100 Baht and it took 7 days from application.

The process can vary depending on the amphur.

This matter seems to be of particular concern to you as well as to some others. No need to call upon the prime minister. Why not settle the question by asking the CIO of Chiang Mai Immigration?

There are at least three opportunities very soon for you to get clarification on what happens to the 500 baht for expedited service. First, write a signed registered letter to the OIC of Chiang Mai Immigration requesting clarification. Or, post the question in an open letter in Chiang Mai news media. Third, ask the OIC of Chiang Mai Immigration to respond directly at his upcoming meeting on 22 October at the Chiang Mai Expats Club. Since he has requested a look at questions before his appearance so that he can prepare his presentation (English not being his first language), you really ought to write the letter now.

Here’s the address:

Pol. Col. Rutjapong

Chief of Chiang Mai Immigration

Chiangmai Immigration

71 Sanambin Road

T. Suthep A. Muang

Chiang Mai

The meeting detail is here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/762139-meeting-with-chief-of-cm-immigration/

In the meantime, you might want to be careful about what assumptions and wagers you make as noted in your post.

You can almost imagine his reaction can you not:

"so let me understand this, you have a problem with what, a process that is clearly displayed and is stated to be free, using a form that says the process is free and works for anyone and everyone who uses it, every time. Oh I see, your problem is that when the officer asks you for 500 baht, you give it to him/her, can I ask you why you do that". blink.png

What actually might be more interesting to read is exactly how such a letter to Immigration could possibly be worded, does anyone want to have a go? giggle.gif