Best way to keep photos

chiangrai

Hi,

My photos get downloaded onto a windows download application and it's crap.

I'm with Firefox s I'm hoping that someone can recommend a good add on for keeping and viewing photos.

My wife has an old xp windows and her application is fine but mine is crap.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply,

I'm looking for something really simple,Idon't have a camera.

I'm looking for a simple gallery where I can store the pictures i download from the net pictures and view them when I want.

The one that comes with my VIsta is crap.

When I open with windows photo viewer i get what I want a copy of the photo and a place to click to view the next photo except that it's not a full screen image.

When I open with PAINT,I have to press two buttons to get a full screen view and no button to press to see the next photo.

I want a program that will open the photo on full screen and that has a button to press to view the next photo.

Maybe FastStone Image Viewer can help you - http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Agree with that one and is my primary. Picasa is OK, but find it more complicated than necessary and rarely use it anymore.

You mention an addon for FF so perhaps something like this is what you have in mind. Have not used it but has a good rating - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/imagetweak/

Maybe FastStone Image Viewer can help you - http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Agree with that one and is my primary. Picasa is OK, but find it more complicated than necessary and rarely use it anymore.

You mention an addon for FF so perhaps something like this is what you have in mind. Have not used it but has a good rating - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/imagetweak/

After seeing this, I just downloaded the FastStone onto a copy of Win7.

Picasa is no longer being supported for linux.

Since most people now seem to use Chrome, then would there not be something from the Chrome browser that would work on windows and linux.

After seeing this, I just downloaded the FastStone onto a copy of Win7.

Picasa is no longer being supported for linux.

Since most people now seem to use Chrome, then would there not be something from the Chrome browser that would work on windows and linux.

Picasa Linux version is no longer supported, but if you wish, you can make work under wine.

I'm using Picasa 3.9.0 kubuntu 13.10 on my main laptop.

I would not wish to change it to anything else.

The best way to keep photos or movies for a long time is to buy a M-Disc DVD drive, they now-a-day cost the same as a normal DVD-writer (+/-490 to 550 THB), with this you can burn special M-DISC's which are garanteed to keep your data for 1000 years... Many national archives, US Military, and many others us them... I can tell this really works. you lay in the full "Thai" sun for days and they still play like nothing happened,,,, Or even heat them in the oven to over 160c degree (I could not resist to try).....

Check out the website http://www.mdisc.com/

Edited by Richard-BKK

For viewing images in PC I've been using Irfan View from almost 10 years. It's small and free with the option to create slideshows from folders and many other features (resize, crop, enhance colors, bulk rename etc). For storing only SnapFish.com is one of the best. Using it for more than 6 years, unlimited storage unlike Flickr, GoogleDrive or Dropbox.

Edited by sunnyk

My suggestion: Buy an Apple computer and your life will take a major upturn. And you get

iPhoto free. It's extremely simple, intuitive and reliable. Also, with an Apple computer you

won't need to go to school for 2 weeks to learn how to use the help menu... sick.gif

• Like 1

I have tried and used all of the programs listed and have found that Picasa is the hardest one to live with because it is too powerful and in inexperienced hands, it can easily permanently delete pictures from the hard drive while pretending to remove them from Picasa display. This is an insane possibility, but it has cost hundreds of people their original pictures, I do not recommend it. if all you need to do is view pics, then why not just put them all in a discrete folder and set it's view properties to Xtra Large Icons, that will give you a 2 inch square thumbnail on the average wide screen then, of you specifically want a full page picture, right click and tab Open with, select microsoft picture Viewer and check the " Do this for all files in future " box. That should quickly and easily solve your problem. From then on, you just click and Viewer will open

Photo FS Viewer is a free download and portable.

What this means to me, is that I just store all my photos on a thumb drive, along with that program. No installation is required, and you easily move from computer to computer and just plug it in, to have access.

Of course you need to "save" all your photos onto that thumb drive, and have Phot FS Viewer load that directorry by default. It would be nice for you to have the program run automatically, as soon as you put in the thumb drive. That requires a bit of preparation.

For my lady, we use a camera with a SD card. I saved FS Viewer in a folder on the SD Card and made it the default viewer. Her computer has a slot so she can remove the SD card from the camera, put it in the computer slot. It automatically opens to her photos. When she clicks on a photo, the viewer runs, by default.

My suggestion: Buy an Apple computer and your life will take a major upturn. And you get

iPhoto free. It's extremely simple, intuitive and reliable. Also, with an Apple computer you

won't need to go to school for 2 weeks to learn how to use the help menu... sick.gif

You will not have to buy a new computer or change much to access your photos easily. Just not cost effective. you have a minor problem. Apple computers are overpriced anyways.

Lol...I could not figure out which way to turn my key in my old chevy in order to start it...so I bought a brand new Mercedes with voice recognititon. (Apple users are losing their computer savvy....they need to buy a new device and a new service from apple for every application they have.) Its called...job security at apple.

• Like 2