Help needed for North Thailand family moving plan.

irlguy1

Hi everyone.

Looking for some options and opinions.

I plan on moving back to Thailand with my Thai wife in the next few years and was looking for input on farming options etc.

We will have some cash to invest and her dad is a farmer so can get some input from him.

Any advice appreciated.

Not looking to get rich just looking to make a living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krisb summed it up well. But making a living? Others may disagree, but unless you have a sizeable parcel of land you will need some extra income. Farming here is becoming the same as many other countries - too much dependence on monoculture - eg: only rice and /or sugar cane, high set up costs for machinery, agro chemicals, high loan costs, and variable returns. Remember the rice farmers have yet to be paid for this year. Mixed farming may be the way to go, as its a lifestyle thing, but you need to really enjoy the hard work and the 7 day effort required.

I don't want to sound pessimistic but it saddens me to see all the local farmers with new and expensive cars, kubotas, and loans for chemicals to produce the same crops from the same area of land they had 20 years ago, but now at a much increased cost

With the wildly varying traits in agriculture,a few years out is to far in the future to make predictions.

Fat cattle,pigs ,egg layers, cassava,corn , sugar ,rubber,fish etc all have their moments in the sun only to be replaced by some other crop because of market forces ,product glut , prices etc only to come back into vogue at a later time.

For anybody not work averse ,a diversified farm with food crops will usually provide a steady income, as you know Thais like their tucker.biggrin.png

• Like 1

what is the exact location of the farm ? you say Nth Thailand ,,,east or west ? big difference between Chiang Mai Nth and Nong Khai Nth ...

Her family is based in Phayao but we can buy in Phayao or chiang rai/chiang Mai

With the wildly varying traits in agriculture,a few years out is to far in the future to make predictions.

Fat cattle,pigs ,egg layers, cassava,corn , sugar ,rubber,fish etc all have their moments in the sun only to be replaced by some other crop because of market forces ,product glut , prices etc only to come back into vogue at a later time.

For anybody not work averse ,a diversified farm with food crops will usually provide a steady income, as you know Thais like their tucker.biggrin.png

Yes but better to buy the land now rather than wait for prices to rise ?

Yes but better to buy the land now rather than wait for prices to rise ?

Land is always a good investment as they are not making any more of it, but care has to be taken that it is at market value and ultimately will suit your future needs.

Having clear titles (chanote) is important ,as is water supply but steer clear of flood prone areas.

Being near to family can have its upside but can also create many problems.

Chiang Mai ,is a great area and has the advantage of proximity to markets.

Sizeable, depends on the quality of the land and its ability to produce a range of crops, and proximity to markets as others have said. If you have good rich soil for vegetables then even 5 -10 rai will do. But if its isolated, has light soil, etc then you will need more. It really depends on what you're interested in doing. The returns from livestock will be lower than crops unless you spend money on sheds, and equipment. I'm guessing again, but if you are living in the north you would probably need 20 rai upwards to get a living. Where we live near Nakhon Sawan, which is prime rice growing country - farms are 20 - 30 rai which gives a liveable income for families.