Info needed please

fantasea

Carrying ash with hand luggage or checked in baggage. Is it a legal? In case immigration checked and found the ashes??????????

A friend of ours died in Thailand - the local temple did the service & cremation, probably a lot cheaper too. I'm sure a Thai friend or your solicitor will help with the monks if you need it.

The family wanted the ashes back in the UK so I brought them back with me in my hand luggage (having firstly checked inside the urn that it only contained bones & ashes!!). I telephoned the airline and they said discuss it at check-in, check-in wasn't interested and said to point it out at the scanners, which I did and they too were not interested (in fact due to Thai superstition wanted nothing to do with it at all). When I arrived in the UK I just walked through with it in my luggage. I don't think there are any issues with ashes, I felt happier with them in my hand luggage than risking them to baggage handling!

I hope your mum has a lovely holiday and returns rejeuvenated!

Note that all this can be done local-style very very inexpensively.

Absolutely no need for hospitalization, agents handling cremation etc if you're willing to do it yourself the Thais won't put up bureaucratic roadblocks.

Of course many people here wouldn't be willing to get their hands dirty that way, just pointing out such alternatives could easily save enough to build a nice house. . .

I myself personally would be horrified if my heirs were going to spend tens of thousands on my final days - and especially after I've passed - in wasteful ways when the same or better could be done at well under 1/10th the farang-way costs.

Note that all this can be done local-style very very inexpensively.

Absolutely no need for hospitalization, agents handling cremation etc if you're willing to do it yourself the Thais won't put up bureaucratic roadblocks.

Of course many people here wouldn't be willing to get their hands dirty that way, just pointing out such alternatives could easily save enough to build a nice house. . .

I myself personally would be horrified if my heirs were going to spend tens of thousands on my final days - and especially after I've passed - in wasteful ways when the same or better could be done at well under 1/10th the farang-way costs.

My sentiments exactly, why waist good money on bullshit, your dead, not the memories, they will remain, cherish them and use that money for something useful on the living

Thanks so much for the quick replies:

I was originally more worried about the thai end, getting the cremation done and the ashes home, but will probably cop more grief from the aussie end.

She has a will but in Australia so not sure if her funeral arrangements will apply in Thailand??

The doctor told her she can do whatever she wants, guess he is just thinking she should make the most of what time she has left but I will get a letter.

Can anyone recommend a company or are they readily found online?

I have a thai lawyer as I own property in Phuket but want to do some homework before I bother him.

Thanks again, S

The doctor said she can go that's good the means he thinks she will make it home.Get the letter but only produce it if you are asked you do not flag any one unless you are asked.If she can walk into the airport,they will see her coming get a wheelchair etc for her.Your air line and Aussie immigration will do everything to help you.Same when you arrive in Thailand,they will ring up from Australia and have a wheelchair waiting for her.Thai Immigation no problem they will do anything to help her.Most people forget Thailand see a Buddhist country they look after and help they old and sick.

Ashes / Human remains are usually pretty simple to clear through customs in most countries

Normally just need to have the death certificate and proof that you are next of kin and can sign for the ashes upon arrival and do not need to go through formal customs procedures

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

My father passed away in Phuket. That was a year ago. We hired a Thai company to do all the paperwork, cremation, rituals and so on. I am not sure about Australia, as I am Russian myself. In our case they offered several options:

Transport body as it is to the country

Cremate and send it

Cremate and keep it here

Everything was done by them. I think it is the best option for farangs.

Thank for your comment on funeral and transportation arrangement for foreigners.

I wonder if you could give a little more information. Magnitude of cost (we are not rich)

Names or email addresses of Thai company's providing this service?

Or even just 'keywords' that will find such companies on the internet?

Thank you.

My father passed away in Phuket. That was a year ago. We hired a Thai company to do all the paperwork, cremation, rituals and so on. I am not sure about Australia, as I am Russian myself. In our case they offered several options:

Transport body as it is to the country

Cremate and send it

Cremate and keep it here

Everything was done by them. I think it is the best option for farangs.

Thank for your comment on funeral and transportation arrangement for foreigners.

I wonder if you could give a little more information. Magnitude of cost (we are not rich)

Names or email addresses of Thai company's providing this service?

Or even just 'keywords' that will find such companies on the internet?

Thank you.

Yoiur biggest cost will not be the funeral arangements. It will be the hospital. There is a real difference between the costs of outpatient treatment and the costs she would incur as an inpatient in a thai hospital. When I said $30,000 I was being conservative. Remember this must be paid in cash before the death certificate can be issued and the body released so insurance will not be available it would have to be your own funds.