Committee meetings

Hi All

Does anybody know of rules, regulations or conduct regarding NON-committee members wishing to attend a condominium committee meeting in order to observe proceedings.

I serve on a committee and have no issue with inviting co-owners to meetings if in the interest of the meeting. Likewise I have no objection to co-owners asking to attend subject to giving there reason to attend and with the majority of the elected committee agreeing there request.

I'm being asked to believe that any co-owner can attend any committee meeting and I am not comfortable with this, nothing to hide but have a few co-owners in my building that are just a pain in the neck and I feel would be disruptive.

I thought that committee meetings where for the elected committee. AGM's etc for all.

Thanks

Riki

The structure of a condo is similar to that of a limited company.

Board of Directors

CEO

Shareholders

In this circumstance shareholders cannot attend Directors meeting as a right.

If they wish to attend committee meetings then ask them to join the committee.

In truth co -owners are interested in their 'Rights'-typically not interested in their 'Responsibilities'

• Like 1

It is up to the Committee whether they allow Co-owners in or not, there are no hard and fast rules, if you dont want Co-owners to attend, just arrange the meetings privately, or ask the Co-owner who wants to join what the issue he/she wants to raise and commit to raise it to the Committee and feed back to them.

The one Committee rule which seemingly is broken a lot is the use of Committee members sending proxies to Committee meetings for them. Committee members are individually elected by the Co-owners to represent them, therefore the use of proxies is not permitted.

Check your condo's regulations. Some have a "sunshine policy" allowing owners to attend committee meetings subject to certain guidelines.

I essentially agree w/ you that loading up the committee meeting with extraneous owners is cumbersome and shouldn't be a blanket policy. I have seen it work when the owners apply for permission and agree to keep silent and non-participatory throughout. This allows the interested owner to see their committee in action and become familiar with its members and its problems. Can be a very good thing and increase owner involvement in condo concerns. Sometimes an owner is allowed to make a presentation to the committee & I think that can be a good thing as well.