flights direct into CM

wigantojapan

LHR to Guanzhou (CAN) on China Southern Airlines. Then to CNX on a China Southern B737 arriving 19:10. Involves a stay of almost 24 hours

in Guangzhou. The cost of the hotel is on you. Visa?

Transiting BKK is not nice, but is CAN or ICN better for some reason, especially when you have to stay overnight? There's just no easy way to get

to Chiang Mai without layovers unless one begins ones journey in East Asia. Flying here from Guam, which would be an easy hop if there was a more direct route, is a three leg trip. You can go through HK or SEL

direct but the layovers are 23:30 minutes and 14:00 hours respectively. BKK is the only option unless one wishes to pay for a hotel room also.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

Two options that cut out spending a few hours overflying are, Singapore/Silk via Changi, and Malaysia/Air Asia via Kuala Lumpur. The first is the easier because you don't need to change terminals and can through check your baggage, but in KL you need to get from KLIA to the LCCT by bus and no through check for baggage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As I thought most airlines from the continent arrivals at HKG are in late afternoon.

CX does however have a flight that arrives early enough to make the connection to CX. (Cathay Pacific #232 LHR-HKG 11:25-07:00.)

They have a codeshare with Dragonair so it looks like an easy transit depending on what day you travel.

KA 232 Non-stop Airbus A320 (320) 3:00 Effective 2014-03-13 through 2014-03-27 08:05 Hong Kong (HKG) 1 10:05 Chiang Mai (CNX)
KA 232 Non-stop Airbus A320 (320) 3:00 Valid until 2014-03-28Sun 12:30 Hong Kong (HKG) 1 14:30 Chiang Mai (CNX)
KA 232 Non-stop Airbus A330-300 (333) 3:00 Operates only on 2013-11-17Mon 14:15 Hong Kong (HKG) 1 16:15 Chiang Mai (CNX)
KA 232 Non-stop Airbus A320 (320) 3:00 Operates only on 2013-11-18Wed,Sat 15:10 Hong Kong (HKG) 1 17:10 Chiang Mai (CNX)
KA 232 Non-stop Airbus A320 (320) 3:00 Valid until 2014-03-29Mon 15:10 Hong Kong (HKG) 1 17:10 Chiang Mai (CNX)
KA 232 Non-stop Airbus A320 (320) 3:00 Valid until 2013-11-11Sun 15:10 Hong Kong (HKG) 1 17:10 Chiang Mai (CNX)
KA 232 Non-stop Airbus A330-300 (333) 3:00 Effective 2013-11-24 through 2014-03-02Mon 15:10 Hong Kong (HKG) 1 17:10 Chiang Mai (CNX)
KA 232 Non-stop Airbus A320 (320) 3:00 Effective 2013-11-25 through 2014-03-24Sun 15:10 Hong Kong (HKG) 1 17:10 Chiang Mai (CNX)
KA 232 Non-stop Airbus A320 (320) 3:00 Effective 2014-03-09 through 2014-03-23Mon 15:25 Hong Kong (HKG) 1 17:20 Chiang Mai (CNX)
KA 232 Non-stop Airbus A320 (320) 2:55 Effective from 2014-03-31Wed,Thu,Sat,Sun 15:35 Hong Kong (HKG) 1 17:20 Chiang Mai (CNX)
KA 232 Non-stop Airbus A320 (320) 2:45 Effective from 2014-03-30Thu 17:00 Hong Kong (HKG) 1 19:00 Chiang Mai (CNX)
KA 232 Non-stop Airbus A330-300 (333) 3:00 Valid until 2014-03-06Thu 17:00 Hong Kong (HKG) 1 19:00 Chiang Mai (CNX)

• Like 1

check out skyscanner website for more options-incl. via India

I suspect that those all include changing in Swampy, the OP wanted to avoid the capital.

But you never know, as Indian tourism builds-up, and after they start linking BOM/DEL/CCU to Phuket/HKT, there may yet one day be direct-flights from India to CNX too. smile.png

It would be well-within-range for Jet Airways' B738/9s, and would generate useful extra overnight block-hours for them.

• Like 1

I've looked at this before and couldn't find any viable alternatives to Bangkok. What I do is book right through with Emirates from Newcastle so I don't see my luggage until I arrive in Chiang Mai (Bangkok Air from Swampy). Ok I have a stop in Dubai on the way but, the beauty of this is that, when I land in Bangkok, I can bypass the normal 3hr immigration queues and am through in 30mins waiting for my connection. Works for me.

CP49

Etihad the same. If your flight up to CNX is with Bangkok Airways you get to use their lounge for snacks & soft drinks.

• Like 1

Etihad....Qatar.... Emirates... all give easy access to CNX via BKK. I do this all the time and have never had any problems. Say goodbye to the bags in the UK (Glasgow, Edinburgh) and there they are, waiting for me at CNX.

If you're worrying about the hoohah in Bangkok at the moment, it's most unlikely to affect you transiting through, as you won't come outside immigration.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the information.yes i am worrying about going through bangkok because with all the possibility of trouble airport staff of all levels will also have trouble going to and from the airport so there has to be some delays cancellations etc

Correct when people say about the long waiting connections on the HK flights

KL i looked at but again getting the Air Asia flight up with 30kg expensive

al the rest of KL singapore go through BKK

Good info about transiting at BKK I have always just got off at BKK and booked a flight there and then saving me money on the ones advertised on line but like you said have to q up at immigration..so i will book right through and clear immigration at CM

Cost of the flights are around 820 from either glasgow or edinburgh i believe with either Klm or emirates

British airways is another option but have to change airport in london on the way back

any more information on the Cm flight greatly appreciated or a cheaper cost from uk cheers

Wikipedia is a great resource for finding flights

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Mai_International_Airport

finding the flights is easy

getting the flights that go via everywhere BUT BKK isnt .

just managed to source good connections via the Cathy pacific web page at a competitive rate

but i,m sure the economy

saver has an over night stay in heathrow,,

Wikipedia is a great resource for finding flights

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Mai_International_Airport

Not sure how up to date this Wiki list is? AirAsia now do directs cnx-HK but not listed. Also Macau. Just booked both

Both are listed on the wiki page. Thai Air Asia

I guess I should have thought of looking for AirAsia under 'T' -doh!

Thanks for all the information.yes i am worrying about going through bangkok because with all the possibility of trouble airport staff of all levels will also have trouble going to and from the airport so there has to be some delays cancellations etc

Good info about transiting at BKK I have always just got off at BKK and booked a flight there and then saving me money on the ones advertised on line but like you said have to q up at immigration..so i will book right through and clear immigration at CM

Cost of the flights are around 820 from either glasgow or edinburgh i believe with either Klm or emirates

British airways is another option but have to change airport in london on the way back

any more information on the Cm flight greatly appreciated or a cheaper cost from uk cheers

Just to clarify, you clear immigration in Bangkok not Chiang Mai and usually takes about 30 minutes. You usually have about 90 minutes waiting time before the Bangkok Air flight up North. The price of around £820 is about right for this time of year. I'm doing the same journey in April when it might be a little cheaper as it's just past the high season.

CP49

Just to clarify, you clear immigration in Bangkok not Chiang Mai and usually takes about 30 minutes. You usually have about 90 minutes waiting time before the Bangkok Air flight up North. The price of around £820 is about right for this time of year. I'm doing the same journey in April when it might be a little cheaper as it's just past the high season.

CP49

If you clear immigration in Bangkok then you will have collect your bags and check them back in again when you go back through immigration to check in for your domestic flight to Chiang Mai. Much better to check your bags all the way through to Chiang Mai and stay airside as a transit passenger.

Further up the thread I found the OP a flight leaving at the end of this month for £596.

CP49

If you clear immigration in Bangkok then you will have collect your bags and check them back in again when you go back through immigration to check in for your domestic flight to Chiang Mai. Much better to check your bags all the way through to Chiang Mai and stay airside as a transit passenger.

Further up the thread I found the OP a flight leaving at the end of this month for £596.

I want a ticket from say 2 weeks from now till beginning of August..hopefully i will get my passport back from DURHAM PASSPORT OFFICE before that.

I would like to clarify if i stay as a transit obviously i clear customs immigration at CM

I

CP49

I want a ticket from say 2 weeks from now till beginning of August..hopefully i will get my passport back from DURHAM PASSPORT OFFICE before that.

I would like to clarify if i stay as a transit obviously i clear customs immigration at CM

I

Susteno is wrong. You clear immigration in Bangkok as a transit passenger, but not through the normal huge queues, staying airside and going straight into Domestic for your connecting flight and then pick up your bags in Chiang Mai. I do this twice a year. As for the cheaper priced flights, yes they are available if you're happy to sit around in Dubai for 9hrs each way.

CP49

Susteno is wrong. You clear immigration in Bangkok as a transit passenger, but not through the normal huge queues, staying airside and going straight into Domestic for your connecting flight and then pick up your bags in Chiang Mai. I do this twice a year. As for the cheaper priced flights, yes they are available if you're happy to sit around in Dubai for 9hrs each way.

CP49

22nd January to the 30th July with British Airways from Glasgow to Bangkok via Heathrow £644

http://www.kayak.co....1-22/2014-07-30

14 hours total travelling time each way coffee1.gif
  • Like 2

What i meant by a cheaper flight was on a flight to BKK only after clearing immigration you can pick up a cheaper flight in Bkk up to CM than the price of a via CM transit flight from europe priced ticket.

Susteno is wrong. You clear immigration in Bangkok as a transit passenger, but not through the normal huge queues, staying airside and going straight into Domestic for your connecting flight and then pick up your bags in Chiang Mai. I do this twice a year. As for the cheaper priced flights, yes they are available if you're happy to sit around in Dby cheaper flights is on a flight to Bkk only you can pick u

But yes you do have to q in the large lines to clear BKK.

thanks for the clarification that you do have to clear immigration in the transit hall

What are the average times of clearance there as opposed to the outside clearing times

Thanks

sustento thanks for the link to the via london flight

short stop overs and no change of airport in London on the way back

Just need my passport,,contacted my Mp today to see if they could hurry the process up.

now that i have a good price and good connection i will contact a travel agent i have used before to see if they can beat that ,which they normally do

good man cheers