Heckler tells Abhisit to 'respect my vote'

webfact

Heckler Tells Abhisit To 'Respect My Vote'

By Khaosod English

ab.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has been heckled by a man who told the former leader to respect his rights to vote.

Mr. Abhisit was delivering a speech at a press conference titled "Eradicate Corruption, Committed In Reforms" organised by the Democrat Party at Bangkok Art and Culture Centre (BACC) this afternoon when an unidentified man stood up in the audience and blew his whistle.

The audience mistook him as a supporter of Mr. Abhisit, since whistle-blowing has been a trademark of the anti-government protesters, and no one restrained him until he held up a sign which reads - in English - "Respect My Vote!".

The heckler then shouted at Mr. Abhisit, "If you cannot even reform yourself, how can you reform the country?". Mr. Abhisit was visibly surprised by the incident, but the former leader tried to manage the confrontation by thanking the man for his remarks.

However, the heckler went on to shout, "When you were the government, why didn′t you do it? Stop the discourse about anti-corruption. You have intimidated other people, so can they not intimidate you as well?".

"This is an example of reasons why we need reforms," Mr. Abhisit told the audience, "This is the form of Democrat Party′s rivals", to which the heckler shot back, "I am not your rival, I am the people!".

Security guards later surrounded the man and led him out of the room. After the heckler has been removed, Mr. Abhisit told the crowd that such harassment is a reason why the upcoming election on 2 February 2014 would not be a fair one.

The former leader then continued with his keynote speech.

Prominent Democrat members such as Mr. Jurin Laksanavisit and Ms. Kalaya Sophonpanich were also present at the event.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE9UQTVOVFE1TlE9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-01-08

• Like 2

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has been heckled by a man who told the former leader to respect his rights to vote."

Abihist is showing any disrespect for this guys right to vote. Did he go to this guys work place and heckle him? Did he deny the guys right to vote?

If this guy was a PTP voter then is was the PTP that disrespected his vote by dissolving parliament before the end of their mandated term.

No, the guy is showing disrespect for Abihist by protesting his right to not participate in an election.

So the hecklers stopping parties from lodging their nominations for the elections, we now have an admission from Abihist that it is unfair.... oh dear will some one please rein in Suthep and Abihist. The reason he wont make it is that in many Thai eyes he now lacks credibility. Oh and they had to remove this seemingly educated person, who stated, I'am not your rival, I'am the people. Well said young son. Respect my vote, now if only all Thai people thought in this educated manner. Spoken in English as well. Hmm, yes one must agree with all the nay sayers on this forum who claim and state that Thais are uneducated and imply they have no grey matter. One voice can make a difference, unfortunately at the moment it is Suthep. bah.gif

Suthep is behind the current series of protests not Abhisit. He is not the one blocking voter party registration (not the same as blocking a voter by the way, but I can see a connection) nor does he need reigning in as he is not doing anything that needs to be reigned in.

Still at least the protestor said Abhisit was not a rival of the people, if he is not Abhisit's rival and he is the people then Abhisit is not a rival of the people.

• Like 2

"Former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has been heckled by a man who told the former leader to respect his rights to vote."

Abihist is showing any disrespect for this guys right to vote. Did he go to this guys work place and heckle him? Did he deny the guys right to vote?

If this guy was a PTP voter then is was the PTP that disrespected his vote by dissolving parliament before the end of their mandated term.

No, the guy is showing disrespect for Abihist by protesting his right to not participate in an election.

Your theory though is based on a premise or possibly a hypothises and you dont know if he was a PTP... Think, really think about what this person is saying and look at the respect to lodge candidates and the right to vote. Who were they stopped by? Do you even comprehend why PTP yielded to the Dems, it was so that people could go to the polls once more. If Abihist doesn't want to be part of the next government or participate in elections, what is he doing as their leader? Is this post very well thought out? I think not.wai.gif

PT yielded to the people protesting their ineptitude and corruption, not the Dems. If they had yielded to Dem policy change recommendations during the "give thaksin everything he wants amnesty bill" maybe we wouldn't be in this mess now.

I thought before I posted in case you're wondering.

• Like 2

Corruption costs the country Bt300 bn every year, claims Abhisit
Hataikarn Treesuwan
The Nation

30223736-01_big.gif
Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the anti-government People

The Democrat Party yesterday unveiled its anti-corruption proposal as part of its national reform blueprint.

BANGKOK: -- Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said corruption is costing Thailand Bt300 billion per year, or 2 per cent of gross domestic product. With that amount of money, the country could build 30 Parliament Houses, 201 BTS stations, or 5,100 large secondary schools, he said.

The party yesterday held a press conference to announce its blueprint for national reform after it decided to boycott the February 2 election and spend time considering the reform measures.

Abhisit declared the anti-corruption mechanism as the first point in a seven-point national reform blueprint. He said the proposal has 20 measures.

For example, laws should be amended so that corruption cases have no statute of limitations, National Anti-Corruption Commission investigations should be increased, and so too the role of the Office of the State Audit and the Auditor-General. Moreover, there should be retroactive examination of politicians' and senior government officials' tax payments.

Laws should be amended to control the government's use of advertising budget, and judicial officers should be banned from sitting on state-enterprises' boards of directors, the party's proposal said.

Information related to state enterprises should be transparent in the same way as listed companies. The party also proposed setting up a fund to support civil movements against corruption.

While Abhisit was speaking, a man who declined to be named blew a whistle at him. "I respect my vote. Please stop creating political speeches because your party [the Democrat Party] has never won an election," the man said. Abhisit replied by saying "Thank you", before the Democrats’ supporters took the protesting man out of the room.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-08

"Security guards later surrounded the man and led him out of the room. After the heckler has been removed, Mr. Abhisit told the crowd that such harassment is a reason why the upcoming election on 2 February 2014 would not be a fair one."

Yes, we can't have people voicing their opinions just before an election, or at any time under the SuDems!

Certainly can't in Chiang Mai, that's for sure.
Useful well thought out constructive post, very impressive.

Really, umm sarcasm? So why is my post not relevant to yours about being allowed to express an opinion. The treatment this guy got was civilised, what happened to the anti-govt protestors in CM was not.

Edited by Bluespunk

"Security guards later surrounded the man and led him out of the room. After the heckler has been removed, Mr. Abhisit told the crowd that such harassment is a reason why the upcoming election on 2 February 2014 would not be a fair one."

Yes, we can't have people voicing their opinions just before an election, or at any time under the SuDems!

Quite right, the truth bears repeating, doesn't it ? thumbsup.gif

I recall when Abhisit tried to give a speech in the North-west, bricks were thrown by our local Reds to disrupt the meeting, blowing a whistle is at least peaceful.

• Like 1

It would seem they have put considerable thought into what needs to be done t achieve reform.

Will be interesting to see the full list and not just a 'for instance'

I see and agree with :

there should be retroactive examination of politicians' and senior government officials' tax payments.

You reds might like to note that he includes himself and his MP's in that.

• Like 1

Your theory though is based on a premise or possibly a hypothises and you dont know if he was a PTP... Think, really think about what this person is saying and look at the respect to lodge candidates and the right to vote. Who were they stopped by? Do you even comprehend why PTP yielded to the Dems, it was so that people could go to the polls once more. If Abihist doesn't want to be part of the next government or participate in elections, what is he doing as their leader? Is this post very well thought out? I think not.wai.gif

As an afterthought could it not be a dem who wants to cast his vote, though cant as the dems have pulled out of the elections? So he says respect my vote.. who does he vote for now... Way too many assertians for my liking.

• Like 1

He's quite correct.

Apart from murdering Democrat candidates and preventing canvassing as well as attacking gay marches, the red chirts in CM have a whole list of offences against democracy the most recent of which was throwing rocks at a PDRC protest.

• Like 1

Think: The PTP voter goes to an meeting with Abhisit and a sign written in English.....It is of course not a guy who got angry, it is staged for the international press.

How do we know he is PTP voter, did he use a red whistle? He my just be Joe citizen who is concern about the demonstrations. Maybe he is a Dem support and is upset that they are not giving him the opertunity to vote for them

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1