'They are like grasshoppers'

I popped into Tesco the other day and couldn't understand a word that anyone was saying. It go to the point that I deliberately lingered by each new trolley to hear what was being said.

On my way to the checkout I heard a Yorkshire accent.

I turned in (not quite mock surprise with eyes wide) and said "Are you ENGLISH!?"

A nod and an "ay lad".

"Thank god!I" I said. "I can't read the writing on the packets or understand a word that's being said. I was beginning to think I'd been transported to Kazakhstan!"

He looked at me.

"Ay lad," he said.

• Like 1

I popped into Tesco the other day and couldn't understand a word that anyone was saying. It go to the point that I deliberately lingered by each new trolley to hear what was being said.

I turned in (not quite mock surprise with eyes wide) and said "Are you ENGLISH!?"

A nod and an "ay lad".

"Thank god!I" I said. "I can't read the writing on the packets or understand a word that's being said. I was beginning to think I'd been transported to Kazakhstan!"

He looked at me.

"Ay lad," he said.

Is that normal getting 2 word's out of a Yorkshire man " Ay lad "

A nod and an "ay lad".

He looked at me.

"Ay lad," he said.

ay lad! tongue.pngbiggrin.png

• Like 1

A nod and an "ay lad".

He looked at me.

"Ay lad," he said.

No, he was being generous. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Maybe because I'm Italian, but I like most of the Russians here in Koh Phangan. I have probably a few affinities and quickly we talk together.

Maybe in my country we didn't have all that brainwashing propaganda about URSS and the dangers of communism a while ago.... laugh.png

(and very good customers too wink.png )

• Like 1

Ah like dem, too. For the most part. As for rotten eggs...

I recently spent a night at the Phangan gov hospital. No sleep, because an Englishman (I'd guess Merseyside but I'm not brilliant with the dialects - probably Northwest though) in a bed somewhere I couldn't see spent the night cursing everything and everyone at decibel levels enough to rattle the windows; sounded like they had him tied down, and I saw a nurse or two with ropes. Probably high on something, but he went (with pauses) on for 8+ hours - all the while the Thai nurses tried to do their job and the mostly elderly Thais being nursed must have had an ungrateful thought or two about farangs. I marvelled at their calm... No idea why they didn't sedate him. Maybe because he was on something.

Russians can swear, too, and there's plenty of them at the hospitals right now. But I've yet to see one of them do the above...

• Like 1

I recently spent a night at the Phangan gov hospital. No sleep, because an Englishman (I'd guess Merseyside but I'm not brilliant with the dialects - probably Northwest though) in a bed somewhere I couldn't see spent the night cursing everything and everyone at decibel levels enough to rattle the windows; sounded like they had him tied down, and I saw a nurse or two with ropes. Probably high on something, but he went (with pauses) on for 8+ hours - all the while the Thai nurses tried to do their job and the mostly elderly Thais being nursed must have had an ungrateful thought or two about farangs. I marvelled at their calm... No idea why they didn't sedate him. Maybe because he was on something.

Russians can swear, too, and there's plenty of them at the hospitals right now. But I've yet to see one of them do the above...

Probably the guy here, who likes to dance on the sand at night.... I won't mention a name!!!,... did he say "ay by gum"? tongue.png

I must admit I have never tried grasshoppers or these other insects the eat here, but they been advertising a program on the the Telly, Nat Geo or one of those channels, about how nutritious these things are.... bah.gif .... You always see people munching on them at the walking street markets...

But the grasshoppers do chomp away at some of our garden plants... so may be we should try catching and eating them too ... xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.pngwhistling.gif

Get mended soon Anthong! wink.pngthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Probably the guy here, who likes to dance on the sand at night.... I won't mention a name!!!,... did he say "ay by gum"? tongue.png

I must admit I have never tried grasshoppers or these other insects the eat here, but they been advertising a program on the the Telly, Nat Geo or one of those channels, about how nutritious these things are.... bah.gif .... You always see people munching on them at the walking street markets...

But the grasshoppers do chomp away at some of our garden plants... so may be we should try catching and eating them too ... xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.pngwhistling.gif

Get mended soon Anthong! wink.pngthumbsup.gif

Try it - except that I'd recommend you begin on the fried grubs. I eat them in the same way I do peanuts. They're sweet and slightly nutty in flavour - really very nice. I keep meaning to get some, chop em a bit and add them to yogurt or mayo. But the grasshoppers are skinny and brittle with no real meat on them - imagine crispy chicken skin with spiky bits.

Food fact: grasshoppers/locusts/grubs etc - more protein per weight than lean beefsteak and one-quarter of the saturated fats. (There's only 4 gms per pound weight in insects but 16 gms per pound in beef fillet.)

I'm surprised you haven't done munchy insects yet Jim . . .

R

• Like 1

"My gf is complaining that a certain nationality has swept the isles empty of fresh food in both BigC and Tesco, calling them grasshoppers. Today the cloud has moved on to Makro..."

You're talking about the cheese and packaged sandwich meats, correct?

FYI, Locust is a term that is being used by Hong Kong Chinese towards Mainland Chinese. It's not meant to be nice.

They are in a War of words at the moment.

Edited by MantisMan