Urgent: Need a 5kw generator

Resa

We still dont have powerlines and start building. We want to get a generator anyway and our builder said we need a 5kw generator for powering the pump that gets water from our well. We need this water for curing the foundation.

So I need this generator in the next 2 days. Im in Chiang Mai. Any advice where and what to get?

Later on the generator should also work as a backup for our regular power supply.

Edited by Resa

We have a Thai built Kwai Thong EP6500 http://www.kwaithong.com/product_detail.php?ref=do:read/id:2 it has the Chinese built copy Honda engine. Starts first time on the key.

We got it during the flooding (we had no mains power for 6 months), kept us alive smile.png

IIRC it was 18k Baht (but was a shop display unit) from our local farm outlet (we're not in CM you that won't help you). HomePro and HomeWorks have the same units but not sure of prices.

Do note that any of these small 3,000 RPM gasoline units are NOISY, no problem when building but it will be intrusive when watching TV unless you put it in a quiet enclosure. The proper solution for backup power would be a 1,500 RPM diesel set in a silent housing, but these are serious $$ and may walk from your site.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's past the date that he needed the generator. I also have the Kwai Tong (Gold Buffalo) generator. And I have a "knock off" (Chinese made) Kubota powered - 7.5 kw (also chinese made) generator that I mounted on a frame together. For the extra money, the Kubota powered option is by far the best.

Note:

The 5kw kwai tong won't effectively power my 2 hp submersible pump, but it will power a small inverter welder (not recommended BTW).
The Kubota unit runs the submersible unit fine, but won't effectively power the welder.

Beats me why it is the way that it is.

The Kubota will run all day long for 250 baht under heavy load. The Kwai Tong would be expensive to do that.

Now that we are finally connected to the grid, I keep one of the units connected to the home system with a "cut out" and breaker for both grid and generator in case we need to make our own power again. The cut out and breaker keeps both power systems (grid and generator) completely isolated from each other.

That's my 2 baht on generators.