Doughnuts

ericpasansai

I knew Dunkin Donuts were way overpriced and not really that good. They just don't taste as good as back in the USA. I think they are trying to get away from importing their "secret" ingredients and using the cheap Thai brand mixtures. I'm glad Mister Donut is making the Bavarian Cream donuts, they are pretty good.

re

doughnuts

i saw some cronuts in tops at ksk a few months ago so i tried a few @ 19 baht

they were very nice / sweet , with a surprise ring of very chewy icing mixed with jam inside the ring :)

dave2

ps .. i saw them again in the cake shop by the front door last week

post-42592-0-77815800-1389180878_thumb.j

post-42592-0-64504200-1389180909_thumb.j

post-42592-0-17357100-1389181235_thumb.j

re

doughnuts

they were very nice / sweet , with a surprise ring of very chewy icing mixed with jam inside the ring smile.png

dave2

These things are dangerously good when fresh.

Just a few weeks ago I tried some cronut at Wholefood market in Hawaii, no where near as good as the one made at Tops. Dangerously good indeed

re

doughnuts

they were very nice / sweet , with a surprise ring of very chewy icing mixed with jam inside the ring smile.png

dave2

Edited by ARISTIDE

Will eat the odd doughnut

have tried both mister doughnut and dunkin doughnuts, sadly for me the taste is no better than the Lady and her husband that make them and sell in the local Village market, the price did go up last year and now [bought 2 yesterday] are 5 baht each.

few years ago now but both mister doughnut and dunkin doughnuts did not last long, as a long way to supermarkets used to buy 6 to last for 5 or 6 days. day 5 they were very dry and only good for the dogs, the ones from the local market at a fraction of the price still are very good and soft on day 5.

Maybe up there is also someone that makes them and sells in local markets ?

have tried both mister doughnut and dunkin doughnuts, sadly for me the taste is no better than the Lady and her husband that make them and sell in the local Village market

No offense, but I find it difficult to believe that homemade 5 baht Thai doughnuts are as good as Mister Doughnut and Dunkin Doughnuts (although you may enjoy that style). I have never tasted any that were. Kasem's market sells some really good ones, but they are 25 baht each.

I would guess that the reason that the village doughnuts stay fresh longer is that they are frying the doughnuts in trans fats, but I am no expert.

No donut will be any good if they don't change the oil/fat/lard regularly.

When I was a kid I worked in a bakery for about 4 years. The donut holes were sold as a specialty. LINK

But with cake donuts that are made with a dropper, there is no hole to sell. They come out shaped that way. It was the yeast raised donuts that we cut from a large sheet of dough that produced the holes we ate and sold.

Edited by NeverSure

have tried both mister doughnut and dunkin doughnuts, sadly for me the taste is no better than the Lady and her husband that make them and sell in the local Village market

No offense, but I find it difficult to believe that homemade 5 baht Thai doughnuts are as good as Mister Doughnut and Dunkin Doughnuts (although you may enjoy that style). I have never tasted any that were. Kasem's market sells some really good ones, but they are 25 baht each.

I would guess that the reason that the village doughnuts stay fresh longer is that they are frying the doughnuts in trans fats, but I am no expert.

On the other hand I find no difference except price on a bunch of long Bananas cut down and sold in a Village market for 25 baht to the bunch sold at Big C at 130 baht for same size bunch. [far less overheads]

As far as plain glazed doughnuts go, for my money, Kasem has the best in Chiang Mai.

They told me that a family member in California sends them the ingredients. They sometimes run out because of that.

I really don't enjoy Mister Donut so I'm not swayed by the cheaper price.

I agree that Dunkin' Donuts are not as good as back home. They don't have some of the flavors that we have in the states. I would kill for a Dunkin' Donuts chocolate filled right about now!

That being said, Dunkin' Donuts is still my favorite overall in Chiang Mai.

Someone mentioned earlier that Dunkin' is getting creative with the flavors. I agree that some of the flavors are a miss, but quite a few are a hit.

When I'm in BKK I always grab a box or two of Krispy Kreme Doughnuts.

I didn't buy into the hype when Krispy Kreme came out in the states. I wasn't a huge fan. Oddly enough I actually like them much better here in Thailand.

My Doughnut manifesto is complete.

mister dognuts are just nasty, I remember warming one in the microwave because it was cold and the fat was hard so it had an unpleasant mouth feel, when heated the grease just flowed out, never again.... Kasems are good.

• 2 weeks later...