Is Mae Sai worth a shopping visit

vagabond48

Thanks for the few of you that actually answered my inquiry.

As I wrote, I had no intention to go the Burmese side especially since it would have cost me and my wife (not GF) each, $10 entry plus 1000B for our re-entry permit.

if your wife is thai, it does not cost her anywhere near that.

and your cost is 100b plus 500b, or $10 if you have it or care to change it to save yourself circa 150b.....which in your case sounds most important.

As I wrote, I had no intention to go the Burmese side especially since it would have cost me and my wife (not GF) each, $10 entry plus 1000B for our re-entry permit.

get a vip pass at thai side,they dont stamp passport,and get a crisp 10dollar bill,will snap your hand off at burma side when u show vip pass,cost all round about 300bht

fake cigs, liquor, and wine......cigars are fake, also, unless they allow ants to crawl on a million thb worth of cuban cigars.

Is the liquor fake at the duty free?

Some is. I bought a bottle of what I thought was jack Daniels. In the morning after., with a nasty hang over, I noticed I had bought a bottle of " jake" Daniels. That being said, I would suspect the American spirits are fake while others, I have been assured, are genuine . Good rums from oz, tequila from Mexico was great......

and your cost is 100b plus 500b, or $10 if you have it or care to change it to save yourself circa 150b.....which in your case sounds most important.

She is not. My cost explanation still stands. I guess you don't need to get a re-entry permit as we do.

We travel to Mae Sai from Phayao every 3 months to do my 90 day reporting. We then go to the markets just near the border cross over. My wife buys clothes. They are the same as she has seen in Chiang Rai but a lot cheaper. We have bought a pram and clothes for our infant. They are cheaper. They have plenty of variety throughout the market. If you look at post # 20 you can see that the first photo is the entrance to the border crossing from the Thai side, If you veer to the left of the crossing and the take the first left you can find parking stations along there. They charge 40 Baht to park your car. We use them all the time. Enjoy your trip.

She is not. My cost explanation still stands. I guess you don't need to get a re-entry permit as we do.

It does not as you do not need a re entry permit.....you can get a vip day pass

It does not as you do not need a re entry permit.....you can get a vip day pass.

If that is the case, I stand corrected. :)

I've been once across the border in Burma, and that was quite enough. When I came back, the fellow I was traveling with was almost busted for heroin he didn't have! What happened was, they asked us to go into a room to be checked for drugs. The Burmese customs policeman had a ball of :"something" wrapped in aluminum foil in his hand and raised his arm towards my friend, like he was going to put it into his shirt pocket. My friend moved back and said, "Don't give me that!" The customs guy put his treat back in his pocket and that was that. I think he was going to plant heroin on my friend and then bust him. He'd be up for many years in jail and would probably have to pay a ton of money to bribe his way out.

Burma police are too corrupt. I'd pass on going there, even for a new visa. And if you do, be very careful.

get a vip pass at thai side,they dont stamp passport,and get a crisp 10dollar bill,will snap your hand off at burma side when u show vip pass,cost all round about 300bht

300 baht just about the same as $10 U S.

Apparently some people don't care that you don't want to spend the extra $10 U S. I wonder if they get a kick back from Myanmar.

Cheaper than other places but it's the same low quality Chinese knockoffs you find anywhere else, only gripe is why people persist on driving motorbikes & cars through the middle of the markets

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Cheaper than other places but it's the same low quality Chinese knockoffs you find anywhere else, only gripe is why people persist on driving motorbikes & cars through the middle of the markets Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The DVDs are of much better quality than Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Apparently some people don't care that you don't want to spend the extra $10 U S. I wonder if they get a kick back from Myanmar.

do you ever read what you post mate,because honestly some of your posts are mentally challenging. if not some what baffling.but hello thats dolly.

do you ever read what you post mate,because honestly some of your posts are mentally challenging. if not some what baffling.but hello thats dolly.

Sorry did not mean to challenge you. What I was referring to was that the poster more than once said he did not want to go to Burma. He was only interested in the Thailand side of the border. If you had read all the posts you would have noticed that most of them wanted him to cross into Burma no matter what he said. Interesting enough many of them talked about how much they saved on booze. Even if it was not what it purported to be.

They also talked about high quality DVDs which it has been my experience to find true. I only got one bad disc.

The point I was making is do these people who completely ignore the OP get a kick back from the Burmese $10 fee which has to be $bill in real good shape or the 500 baht.

Is that clear enough for you now. It was a sarcastic post.

The OP just wanted to know if it was worth going to Mai Sai for. He didn't say where can I get cheap booze or high quality DVDs.

I strongly suspect from the reply's he won't bother with Mai Sai.

If you're just talking about shopping and price: well no if you're driving from CM as the cost of the excursion will outweigh the price savings unless you're buying in bulk. CM night market has infinitely more choice for the western taste.

The very high quality Chinese designer knockoffs have not been available in Mae Sai for a few years, due to very effective implementation on the Thai side of international law regarding branding and commercial copyrights.

You can still get some good quality knockoffs on the Tachilek side if you shop around.

If on the other hand you are looking for a good excursion for a day or two, it's a great trip with lots of places to stop off at.

We travel to Mae Sai from Phayao every 3 months to do my 90 day reporting. We then go to the markets just near the border cross over. My wife buys clothes. They are the same as she has seen in Chiang Rai but a lot cheaper. We have bought a pram and clothes for our infant. They are cheaper. They have plenty of variety throughout the market. If you look at post # 20 you can see that the first photo is the entrance to the border crossing from the Thai side, If you veer to the left of the crossing and the take the first left you can find parking stations along there. They charge 40 Baht to park your car. We use them all the time. Enjoy your trip.

Used to have a smuggling connection, where we could call him a week ahead and he would have a case of whatever you ordered at 10% above duty free prices and would meet you at your hotel for delivery. Very reliable and consistent and we would get the best Penfoil's Australian wines that sell at Rimping for 2K thb for 450thb. The good old days.

unfortunately I lost the contact number so if anyone knows of another professional smuggler, PM me the contact info please.

• Like 1

Delicious onion bajis on the bridge going over.

With apologies to the other many helpful posters, I must say that this has been the most useful information for me so far.

T

It's the only thing of any real value i have purchased up there.

Sugary or salty

Crispy crunchy

Or soft and munchy

Soul food for minor woe

Can't go wrong with deep-fried dough

T
  • Like 1

Used to have a smuggling connection, where we could call him a week ahead and he would have a case of whatever you ordered at 10% above duty free prices and would meet you at your hotel for delivery. Very reliable and consistent and we would get the best Penfoil's Australian wines that sell at Rimping for 2K thb for 450thb. The good old days.

unfortunately I lost the contact number so if anyone knows of another professional smuggler, PM me the contact info please.

Have.

Your ignorance is breathtaking.

• Like 1