Thailand's educational spending highest in the world

webfact

Thailand's educational spending highest in the world
By Digital Content

1389232572943.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 9 – Thailand’s spending on education, representing 4 per cent of gross domestic product or 20 per cent of the national budget, is the highest in the world, according to research findings by Mahidol University.

The National Children and Family Development Institute which conducted the study on Thailand’s educational system concluded that spending on fundamental education is as high as Bt35,000 per person per year while parents have to pay on average Bt25,000-35,000 per student each year for added extras.

Despite the high expenditure, the country’s educational gap--the delivered performance--remains wide and in need of improvement.

Study hours for Thai students are five times more than countries such as the US and Canada where students spend 600-700 hours in classes while Thai students 2,000-3,600 hours.

Despite the state’s high spending on education and extra classes for children, Thai students' learning proficiency is rather low.

Suriyadev Tripati, institute director, called for education reform in short, middle and long terms, changes in teaching methods and evaluation systems while education courses must be developed in accord with human proficiency in the 21st century.

In the long run, Thailand’s human resources must be developed so that people become the brains of the nation, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-09

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a farce to be honest. The money is certainly not filtering down to the grassroots level, as I am sure teachers who work in the government system will attest. I was speaking a couple of days ago with one of my staff, and they were saying that they were hoping that their son will pass the entrance exam for Mattayom at the local government school, otherwise they'll have to pay money for him to attend. They even said, that the money just goes directly into the pockets of the administration.

• Like 2

I hold that the single largest problem in education in Thailand is that everyone passes. It lets the schools hide student performance. Many parents would be amazed if they saw how little their children did in school, and almost as many would not care. Worse, there is an Asian mindset that in public schools, if a child fails, the student is at fault. In private schools, if the child fails, it is the teacher's fault. Thailand's solution was, okay, everyone passes. It has not always been this way. I was told the free pass system is less than tweenty years old. Teachers should only be required to maintain a predictable curve of successes, modified for each class -- some classes are smarter than others.

When I was in grade six, if I realized I could nothing and still pass, nothing is exactly what I would have done. That's about when the students lose enthusiasm for learning here, and the clever ones pick up on it as early as grade three. There is simply no reward for performance.

Very valid comments.

The everyone passes rule is the root of all the education problems in Thailand IMO. It's absolutely farcical and makes a mockery of children's education in the country.

"while Thai students 2,000-3,600 hours"

They might mean in lifetime.....

The schools next to my house starts 8.00 morning, they start with cleaning, after one hour education (?!?!?!) starts.... at noon, one hour lunch and at 15.00 school is finished, 5 days a week. is 25 hour/week is 1000 hour/year.

I would say that even the university and the people who came with this study can't count......so what they learnt about when they where still at school ????