Phuket faces 40 per cent drop in Chinese tourist arrivals in January

webfact

Phuket faces 40 per cent drop in Chinese tourist arrivals in January
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_20141911275238_fZzPjsZHhnPTXR
Chinese tourists crowded Terminal 2 at Phuket International Airport in late December. Photo: Leslie Porterfield

PHUKET: -- Officials expect the number of Chinese tourists coming to Phuket to drop by 40 per cent this month, despite the fact that Chinese New Year falls on January 31.

Chinese New Year traditionally brings a boost in Chinese tourism to Thailand, but this year fewer tourists from Greater China, including Hong Kong and Taiwan, are expected to celebrate the holiday in the Kingdom.

Piyaman Tejapaiboon, president of the Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT), said that the political turmoil in Thailand poses risks to the tourism market, which is still in the high season. Normally, the country welcomes about 2.5 million foreign tourists in January.

During the first quarter, numbers are expected to drop 60 per cent from the first quarter in 2013. Bangkok would be hit the hardest with a 70-per-cent drop, while Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Phuket would fall about 40 per cent.

Sugree Sithivanich, deputy governor for marketing communications at the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), expressed concern about the decline in short-haul passengers during Chinese New Year amid the political chaos. Safety is among their key concerns.

Chanapan Kaewklachaiyawuth, secretary-general of the Thai-Chinese Tourism Alliance Association, said the street protests would scare off Chinese travellers until March.

Numbers among other nationalities are expected to drop as well.

Anake Srishevachart, president of the Thai-Japan Tourist Association, said the political strife has caused a big drop in travellers from not only mainland China, but also Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea and Taiwan. The lower numbers are expected to continue until next quarter.

Incentive groups are expected to suffer the biggest drop. This group of travellers is a key revenue contributor to the tourism industry as they spend double what average tourists normally spend during their stays.

The TAT has met with caretaker Tourism Minister Somsak Pureesrisak to discuss how to deliver a unified message to the public to help tourists understand the true situation and save the country's image from political damage.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Phuket-faces-40-per-cent-drop-in-Chinese-tourist-arrivals-in-January-23218.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-01-09

Less tourists, less money, less work opportunities. Yet people need to have their daily doses food, drinks, drugs and iPhones. As baht is at the same time dropping, the imported items are getting relatively more expensive.

Sounds a bit like good opportunities for security businesses?

And of course the lack of chinese speaking "tour guides" has nothing to do with that right? I mean who needs a guide that can speak your language right? Perhaps you should re-think that so-called "thai only" occupation and reach out to that market properly.

And of course the lack of chinese speaking "tour guides" has nothing to do with that right? I mean who needs a guide that can speak your language right? Perhaps you should re-think that so-called "thai only" occupation and reach out to that market properly.

According to an article a few days ago there was an altercation between Chinese speaking Thai guides, unemployed, because Chinese guides stole their jobs. So there seem to be sufficient Chinese speaking tour guides (plus the Chinese companies don't care anyway and just hire a bunch more illegal guides if necessary).

It is going to be more than they say since Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, and Hong Kong Airlines have already decreased the number of flights to Thailand.

yes.. singapore airlines dont fly to bkk, but fly to phuket now.. our hotel is nearly full booked for the chinese new year.. with people from hongkong/singapore

• Like 1

According to an article a few days ago there was an altercation between Chinese speaking Thai guides, unemployed, because Chinese guides stole their jobs. So there seem to be sufficient Chinese speaking tour guides (plus the Chinese companies don't care anyway and just hire a bunch more illegal guides if necessary).

Yes, I'm sure that the Chinese speaking Thai guides speak as good Chinese as the English speaking Thai guides speak English.

rolleyes.gif

Yes, I'm sure that the Chinese speaking Thai guides speak as good Chinese as the English speaking Thai guides speak English.

rolleyes.gif

Considering the similarities between the languages and the ease with which chinese pick up thai, in contrast to native english speakers, it seems logical they speak it better, a lot better.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not sure what all the fuss is about, this is 100% exactly what was wanted. No zero baht tourists from China.

A lot of hard work and lobbing to get this to happen. Nothing to do with the political unrest.

As they say, "Be careful what you wish for, you may get it," clap2.gif

• Like 1

Lets hope the Russian arrivals will drop as well.

If not now they will next year according to Pegast. There is still hope for Phuket.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Fewer tourists, regardless of their origin, equals less revenue to sustain the municipal infrastructure. Bigoted remarks are short sighted and hateful. Living here, I realize the importance of tourism in maintaining my adopted city.

• Like 1

Fewer tourists, regardless of their origin, equals less revenue to sustain the municipal infrastructure. Bigoted remarks are short sighted and hateful. Living here, I realize the importance fhat tourism has in maintaining my adopted city.

Fewer tourists, regardless of their origin, equals less revenue to sustain the municipal infrastructure. Bigoted remarks are short sighted and hateful. Living here, I realize the importance fhat tourism has in maintaining my adopted city.

More money not necessary equal more maintenance. More money here mean more mega status facelifts put on top of an already worn out none existent infrastructure.

Not true in this case. Tourist numbers are up, but, spending is down.

Which is exactly why the TAT is now trying to discourage "zero baht" tourists and chase the quality tourists.

I don't like the term zero baht tourist as it's misleading how it's been used here.

If the majority of Europeans and I suppose Australians are considered as one baht tourists, then it would make sense.

Chinese come here with full board packages and Europeans with half board packages. Europeans therefore eat few meals outside of their hotels.

In all package tourists groups, the majority of money is spent to flights (global revenue) and hotels (local revenue). Both groups travel around and go to see the attractions (local revenue).

Every tourist brings money to the local economy. With package tours, the travel companies do the cost negotiations on behalf of the tourists.

• 2 months later...