Bun Bang Fai Rocket festival

NZ Dave

There is a festival in Amphoe Kuchinarai, Kalasin Province.

Kut Wa’s Skyrocket Festival
At Kut Wa Subdistrict Municipality, Amphoe
Kuchinarai, Kalasin province.
17-18 May 2014

Activities: See the skyrocket parade contest,
local cultural performances, see the entertainment
for the celebration, and see skyrocket launching
Nearby tourist attractions: Phutthasathan Phu Po, A Black Buddha image (Wat
Klang), Wat Phutthanimit (Phu Khao)

Source:

https://i-san.tourismthailand.org/tours/20131204/i-san_events_festival_2013.pdf

Don't be misled by the filename :>)

All dates are explicitely for 2557/2014.

Another source says:

Another kind of rocket festival in Kuchinarai, Kalasin on May 18-19 (they claim to be the biggest festival in Thailand)

May 19 is a Monday, quite implausible. Weekend (Sat/Sun 17/18 May sounds reasonable)

Edited by KhunBENQ

• 3 months later...

They usually strech out over a whole month or more, it's a seasonal event rather than just rockets, different villages have their events at different times and week days highly likely except for those events now known as tourist oriented, like Yosathan etc.

Some of the more interesting parts of the event are the day or so before with a parade, and a "passion play" of two deities, one male and one female, wooden puppets, with complete genitally, and people making them copulate.

Reminds me of the Monkey God parades in Singapore, now long gone.

I look this festival last year!

Very dangerous

Some get burned from the rocket!

Stay at home better!

More dangerous is the rocket fuel, also called Lao Khao. Kills more people than any Bang Fai Festival.

The biggest is and will always be in Yasothon. Stay away from the rockets at a safe place, sometimes they don't really become airborne....thumbsup.gif

Edited by sirchai

Yasothon has also the best nuddle soup all across Thailand but the restaurant wants 10 baht for charging the mobile !

Travel there around last year!

Smile and they charge it for free.Another quality noodle soup tourist.

Edited by sirchai

The festival in Ban Kut Wha, Kuchinarai, Kalasin, on highway 12 towards Mukdahan, is May 17 and 18. The parade is on the 17th and the rockets go off on the 18th. This is perhaps the most unusual of the festivals, because they don't use traditional rockets, but instead a circular structure made from bamboo, it looks like a flying saucer. If you enjoy record festivals and are bored with the regular ones, you may want to see this one. There are many resorts nearby to stay at for about 400 baht to 1,000 baht. If you want to take in the two day event you might want to stay at Thai House Resort, they usually offer a package, but book now, because they only have a few rooms and it goes early, it may already be full. Google; Thai House Isaan Resort. I have no financial interest in this place, but it is run by a friend of mine, a very nice transplanted Brit to Australia to Isaan. It is actually in Mukdahan Province, but is right on the border and just down the road about 10 to 15 kilometres, there are lots of places closer, but not as nice and don't have a pool, also they are not Farang run.

Edited by Issangeorge