More candle lighting sessions to block Bangkok shutdown

webfact

PEACE
More candle lighting sessions to block shutdown

The Nation

30223933-01_big.jpg
A photo from Bundit Thianrat's Facebook page, taken at Kasetsart University on Thursday evening.

BANGKOK: -- After the candle-lighting sessions at three universities on Thursday, more activities will be hosted in the following three days by people who voice their opposition to the "Bangkok shutdown".

On Thursday evening, students at Silpakorn, Srinakarinwirot and Kasetsart universities and general people joined the candle-lighting session, to voice their opposition to the "Bangkok shutdown" on January 13, on the conviction that this would lead to violence.

More candle-lighting sessions will be held on Friday at eight locations in Bangkok during 4pm-6pm: Victory Monument, Asoke-Sukhumvit Intersection, Soi Saladaeng, MBK Centre, CentralWorld, The Mall Bangkapi, The Mall Tha Phra and Imperial Latprao.

At Bangkok Art and Cultural Centre, an activity will be kicked off at 6pm, calling for an end of the protests that could lead to violence.

More activities are planned in Khon Kaen and Chiang Rai on Friday. On Saturday, such will be hosted in Chiang Mai and Chon Buri.

At 6pm on Sunday, Thammasat University’s student council will host the candle-lighting session on the football field. It aims to bring light to Thailand "engulfed by prejudice and hatred" and to stop violence.

The activity will also take place at Prince of Songkhla University’s Hat Yai Campus on Sunday, at 6pm.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-10

• Like 2

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are the signs in English, So Johnathon Head can read it I suspect, I it really surprises me how the BBC has become so one sided as Fox in the states, regardless of your opinion, if any on these shinagainas in Thailand.

It really highlights how the BBC is no longer a credible news source for anything. I used to kind of trust the BBC compared to the others.

Did you lost all the signs written in English by the anti-government supporters?

Everyone has the right to express opinion and protest, in the way they like as long as it's not violent and disrupting.

• Like 2

At last, real students doing what students throughout the World do - supporting the right to vote and defending democracy.

A change from those middle-aged thugs that Suthep passes off as "students", hell bent on fighting, shooting and looting, in between beating up taxi drivers, that is!

"Respect my vote" will be the slogan that saves Thailand from slipping down into the cesspit of fascism, Suthep style.

excellent post and right on the button

peaceful demo trying to keep the REAL issue alive

we might not always like what democracy brings us but it has to be a preference to a dictatorship and an unelected elite

True democracy, absolutely.

But, really, do you think the Shin clan are anymore interested in democracy than Suthep's mob? I suggest the Shins would respect the electoral system whilst it works in the favor. Should it not, they would ignore it in the same way they ignore laws and other procedures they don't like.

Throwing out a corrupt government is as much a part of democracy as one man one vote. Being elected doesn't make your corruption legal.

Reforms are needed to protect democracy in Thailand - and neither of the factions currently vying for power and control are really interested in democracy, are they?

And which government in today's world is not corrupt to some extent? Please Enlighten me.... Perhaps the America? One of the most corrupt governments on the planet. You don't throw corrupt governments out in a democracy, you vote them out. End of story.... Well done to those that participate, at least there seems a ray of hope for Thailand. Let's just hope so anyway.wai.gif

• Like 2